How Close is Dylan Cease

kwolf68

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 03:51 PM)
I think for the prospects it's the first time a lot get to see em in person. For hitters I think it can be misleading (courtney hawkins 2015 spring training), but man, having not really seen Cease's stuff before - it was exciting.

This was my view. Yes it was spring training, but he has outstanding command of his fastball, it was electric. His breaking pitch, while not totally tuned in in the Seattle game, had a sharp bite. Once he hones it it, that's an out pitch. And unless I dreamed it he threw two change ups...BOTH were strikes as I recall, but he mostly stuck with the 1 and hook. Obviously to get big leaguer hitters out over more than an inning or two you'll need to tune up your secondary offerings, but I am ecstatic about this kid.

He has the makings of an ace....high 90s heater, legit 12-6 curve and another solid secondary offering to keep hitters a bit off balanced.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 02:25 PM)
Hansen has an outside chance of being in Chicago at some point this year. Neither Cease or Dunning really do.

Re: Hansen - With how slow they have brought along everyone else I highly doubt he sees the majors before 2019 season probably as a mid season call up. I’d like to see him duplicate his previous effort but this time in the high minors for this entire season he doesn’t look ready for the majors yet. I think we are looking at Kopech mid season ‘18, Cease and Hansen mid season ‘19. Dunning TBA could be mid season ‘19 or ‘20. Lopez probably goes to the bullpen in ‘20 if he can’t stick as a starter. I think Rodon gets traded once he puts together a healthy half season - maybe next offseason. If they think Hansen is ready going into the ‘19 season that will probably happen. Fulmer is a full time reliever by ‘19 if he can’t stick in this year’s rotation.

Edited by soxforlife05

I’m not sure how anyone thinks Cease could be closer to the major than Dunning. Cease has never thrown 100 innings in a season and has never pitched above low A. He also has huge control problems that need to be ironed out and those will only get more problematic as he faces more advanced pitching. Meanwhile, Dunning made 22 starts in high A and put up 144 innings in his first ful season as a starter. He’ll be up in AA very soon assuming he pitches well to start 2018. And his pitching profile of a groundball pitcher with strong command should allow him to move fast. I really don’t think it’s even close. Cease is a 2020 callup if all goes well and I’m cool with that. Absolutely no reason to rush the kid.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 06:53 AM)
I’m not sure how anyone thinks Cease could be closer to the major than Dunning. Cease has never thrown 100 innings in a season and has never pitched above low A. He also has huge control problems that need to be ironed out and those will only get more problematic as he faces more advanced pitching. Meanwhile, Dunning made 22 starts in high A and put up 144 innings in his first ful season as a starter. He’ll be up in AA very soon assuming he pitches well to start 2018. And his pitching profile of a groundball pitcher with strong command should allow him to move fast. I really don’t think it’s even close. Cease is a 2020 callup if all goes well and I’m cool with that. Absolutely no reason to rush the kid.

Lol, this is literally exactly what I'm thinking. It takes time to build up the innings and Hansen/ Dunning are a year ahead of Cease in that department.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 02:51 AM)
Re: Hansen - With how slow they have brought along everyone else I highly doubt he sees the majors before 2019 season probably as a mid season call up. I’d like to see him duplicate his previous effort but this time in the high minors for this entire season he doesn’t look ready for the majors yet. I think we are looking at Kopech mid season ‘18, Cease and Hansen mid season ‘19. Dunning TBA could be mid season ‘19 or ‘20. Lopez probably goes to the bullpen in ‘20 if he can’t stick as a starter. I think Rodon gets traded once he puts together a healthy half season - maybe next offseason. If they think Hansen is ready going into the ‘19 season that will probably happen. Fulmer is a full time reliever by ‘19 if he can’t stick in this year’s rotation.

Hansen has already hit AA. There are guys who go straight from AA to the majors, but even if he spends half a season at AA, two months at AAA, and September call up... that isn't crazy at all.

For all of them, I'd just say look at Kopech.

Last winter I would have been right here saying he's a late 2019 guy because he had so much work to go building up his arm.

He then had a dominant, healthy year that has him in AAA and knocking on door of majors really at any moment.

If any of them have a healthy and good year it will vault them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 09:00 AM)
For all of them, I'd just say look at Kopech.

Last winter I would have been right here saying he's a late 2019 guy because he had so much work to go building up his arm.

He then had a dominant, healthy year that has him in AAA and knocking on door of majors really at any moment.

If any of them have a healthy and good year it will vault them.

The difference between Kopech and Cease is Kopech didn’t miss significant time for pitching related injuries. Kopech got suspended for PEDs and broke his hand punching a teammate. Never once were there questions about his actual durability and ability to take on innings other than the fact he had never done it. Cease has had multiple injuries in his short professional career that have limited his workload. And that’s despite the Cubs handling him with baby gloves and never really ever pushing him. I hope everything clicks for Cease next year and he can take a Kopech line step but even if he does he’s a year behind where Michael was this time last year. I honestly think Cease has a good two years of development ahead of him and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 07:41 AM)
Hansen has already hit AA. There are guys who go straight from AA to the majors, but even if he spends half a season at AA, two months at AAA, and September call up... that isn't crazy at all.

It’s obvious from the spring he’s not ready. Kopech is going to end up spending 1.5 seasons between AA and AAA and he’s shown much more. I’m not sure what you have seen from Hansen over the last month that would make you think he is going to be pushed faster than Kopech.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 02:17 PM)
It’s obvious from the spring he’s not ready. Kopech is going to end up spending 1.5 seasons between AA and AAA and he’s shown much more. I’m not sure what you have seen from Hansen over the last month that would make you think he is going to be pushed faster than Kopech.

They are two different players, and it isn't just the spring that I am looking at. Hansen has a spectacular season last year, having success at 3 levels, bring his walks way down, leading all of the minors in K's and having a good season's worth of IP under his belt.

Kopech could well be in Chicago by June, definitely by September barring a meltdown. Though if you are going to throw Hansen under the bus for spring training, Kopech didn't exact set the world on fire this spring either.

The biggest difference between the two is that Kopech didn't have any innings under him which probably slowed his leap last year. If he had been able to stay healthy in 15 or 16, he'd probably already be in Chicago with a nice innings base under him. Hansen hasn't had that problem.

I don't think you can extrapolate much from the low minors with Hansen. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on good stats below AA. You always want to see it but I don't know if it's all that predictive. A lot of players at those levels won't ever see the majors or even high minors. With his cup of coffee in AA and spring training this year he belongs in AA the whole season possibly with a late season promotion to AAA unless he's dominating the competition. In that case probably AAA a few months in and a late season call up.

Edited by soxforlife05

I would second what most people are saying in regards to the Cease timetable. He already had Tommy John Surgery and didn't break the 100 inning mark last year. If he can follow a similar path as Hansen did last year with post around 150 innings between High A and AA this year that would be a really great season.

I would expect Hansen to be in the minors all of this year with spending the majority in AA. This way he would be ready by Mid-2019 for the majors.

In all reality, the Championship window starts in 2020. Maybe they can compete for a Wild Card next year but the pitching staff won't be fully settled until 2020.

QUOTE (kwill @ Mar 31, 2018 -> 10:24 PM)
...the pitching staff won't be fully settled until 2020.

God I’m wet thinking about the potential options for our starting 5.

Rodon

Kopech

Giolito

Hansen

Cease

2018 draft pick ala Hankins

Lopez

Dunning

That’s 7 or 8 dudes, many of whom have ace potential and most of which have #3 floors. Those who don’t make it will be dynamite in a pen role.

Stoked.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 01:58 AM)
God I’m wet thinking about the potential options for our starting 5.

Rodon

Kopech

Giolito

Hansen

Cease

2018 draft pick ala Hankins

Lopez

Dunning

That’s 7 or 8 dudes, many of whom have ace potential and most of which have #3 floors. Those who don’t make it will be dynamite in a pen role.

Stoked.

Add Burdi as closer and a few other interesting relief prospects and the makings are there for a dynamite staff. If it all works out, it will allow us to splurge on the positional side in free agency which is a much sounder approach than buying pitching. Just got hope these can keep developing and make this dream a realization.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 07:33 AM)
Add Burdi as closer and a few other interesting relief prospects and the makings are there for a dynamite staff. If it all works out, it will allow us to splurge on the positional side in free agency which is a much sounder approach than buying pitching. Just got hope these can keep developing and make this dream a realization.

Too add to a lineup with Moncada, Robert, Abreu, and Jiminez (not to mention Anderson, Avi, Davidson, Collins)