2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Wow. Thibs is going to end up somewhere just as a coach and do good.  But wow.  Writing had been on the wall for a while...it was clear Taylor and Thibs didn't see eye to eye.  

Never would have guessed Fred would have the Minny job and/or the UCLA job out there for him. Technically I think he'd be a stellar hire by UCLA, however, the fact that it is on the west coast might hurt.  I think Hoiberg would do a fantastic job for the Bruins though.  

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wow. Thibs is going to end up somewhere just as a coach and do good.  But wow.  Writing had been on the wall for a while...it was clear Taylor and Thibs didn't see eye to eye.  

Never would have guessed Fred would have the Minny job and/or the UCLA job out there for him. Technically I think he'd be a stellar hire by UCLA, however, the fact that it is on the west coast might hurt.  I think Hoiberg would do a fantastic job for the Bruins though.  

Are you sure about Thibs coaching again?  I don't know that he's a good hire.  He lacks any of the qualities that make a good off the court head coach.  

Edited by AustinIllini

I don't even care. I really don't care at all. These are the only moves the bulls ownership is capable of making. They sold korver for nothing. They sold jr smith for nothing. They saved money instead of going for it with our 2011-14 core. They are a joke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't even care. I really don't care at all. These are the only moves the bulls ownership is capable of making. They sold korver for nothing. They sold jr smith for nothing. They saved money instead of going for it with our 2011-14 core. They are a joke.

JR needs that Machado money! 

9 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

From the protections stuff it seems like the Bulls were given free money to take him. The problem is that the Bulls never do anything smart with their money. 

If only the bulls were as aggressive in acquiring picks as they were in acquiring cash they would have some actual value to do things with. What exactly does this cash allow them to do? Will they hire an actual league average scouting department (size wise)? Will they pay the $200 to attend the international combine? Who knows.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

If only the bulls were as aggressive in acquiring picks as they were in acquiring cash they would have some actual value to do things with. What exactly does this cash allow them to do? Will they hire an actual league average scouting department (size wise)? Will they pay the $200 to attend the international combine? Who knows.

Well that is the problem. Even when Bulls do something good, they seem to find a way to turn it into something bad. 

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

What can the Bulls do to acquire picks? 

They literally got cash for nothing.  The pick is protected.

Edited by AustinIllini

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

For one, they can literally buy them. With cash. It's happened! 

Buying a second rounder is your plan?  Are you serious?  NBA draft picks in the second round are not worth much.  They're just not.  

First rounders matter and no one trades those for cash.

Edited by AustinIllini

2 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Buying a second rounder is your plan?  Are you serious?  NBA draft picks in the second round are not worth much.  They're just not.  

When you are in a full out talent acquisition mode, you don't shut off any potential avenue of talent.  While rare, you can get starters and even the occasional star out of the second round.

8 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

For a team that has been "retooling" for 3 years? They are much more valuable than cash. Most are trash, but there are plenty of nba starters and rotation players that you can find in the second round better than many of the guards and wings the bulls have trotted out recently.

And considering the odd chance you can draft a Jokic, it's worth it. Brogdon, morris, brunson, all possible in second round. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

When you are in a full out talent acquisition mode, you don't shut off any potential avenue of talent.  While rare, you can get starters and even the occasional star out of the second round.

How is this shutting off an avenue of potential talent?

1 minute ago, bmags said:

For a team that has been "retooling" for 3 years? They are much more valuable than cash. Most are trash, but there are plenty of nba starters and rotation players that you can find in the second round better than many of the guards and wings the bulls have trotted out recently.

And considering the odd chance you can draft a Jokic, it's worth it. Brogdon, morris, brunson, all possible in second round. 

1) You're wrong, but I'll agree to disagree

2) The Bulls will own that second round pick.

Edited by AustinIllini

Just now, AustinIllini said:

How is this shutting off an avenue of potential talent?

Is this the part where you narrow the focus to just this deal and pretend that the Bulls haven't been giving away second round picks like strip club flyers in Las Vegas?