Jump to content
South Sider

Game of Thrones

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao, no.   The prequels were the biggest movie letdown of my lifetime.  TFA might be a copy of ANH and TLJ isn't everyone's cup of tea but they were better in every way.

They were terrible because they were marketed towards kids, not the adults who had watched the originals.  They were trying to lock in a whole new generation of fans instead of catering to the life-long fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Jon doesn’t want to be king.  Power corrupts.  Jon is good so he won’t let it corrupt him.  There’s a reason Varys has been looking for the perfect ruler forever and it hasn’t happened.

But I did crap all over episode 3 already.  They hyped up the battle with the dead for so long and it was over in a flash.  Really stupid and bad episode IMO.

If the writers have any talent left, Jon now realizes he needs to be king. Jon on the throne is the only ending which makes sense now

Edited by Eloy Jiménez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

If the writers have any talent left, Jon now realizes he needs to be king. Jon on the throne is the only ending which makes sense now

Sansa

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot of butthurt people that are mad it's not ending the way they wanted it to. What was Tyrion's famous line - "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

 

If Dany's arc makes no sense, it's a pretty crazy coincidence that legions of fans have been predicting it for years. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Sansa

I hope she takes over and they hint at a heel turn for her as well, just like Cersei and Danys, right at the end.  Remember how she talked about how all the pain she suffered had molded her into the person she is today?

Edited by Harper2Sox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

There's a lot of butthurt people that are mad it's not ending the way they wanted it to. What was Tyrion's famous line - "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

 

If Dany's arc makes no sense, it's a pretty crazy coincidence that legions of fans have been predicting it for years. 

I actually like the arc, but will admit it feels a little rushed.  Like there has been plenty of setup over the years of her ruthlessness towards her enemies, but a normal length season with a bit more character development would have made her decision to burn King’s Landing and kill thousands of innocents far more believable.  The loss of Jorah, Missandei, two of her dragons plus the realization that her right to the throne is no longer legit created the necessary desperation without the normal checks & balances for her to something crazy (“ok, it will be fear then”).  It just felt so sudden because that last part happened across a couple episodes and didn’t give Dany the character build-up such a tragic turn should warrant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this, the biggest plot hole in last night’s episode was Tyrion letting Jamie escape.  So they were holding Jamie prisoner and the Unsullied were guarding him but no one noticed him missing the next morning and they also forgot that Tyrion, his brother, was the last person to visit him?  Just awful.  What the hell was that about?  Terrible plot hole so the story would work.

I realize that they needed Tyrion to say his goodbye to his brother but they should have had this happen in the previous episode after Jamie said his goodbye to Brienne of Tarth.  Then, just don’t have Jamie get captured when he sneaks off to King’s Landing.  That was some bad writing for sure.

Edited by Harper2Sox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I actually like the arc, but will admit it feels a little rushed.  Like there has been plenty of setup over the years of her ruthlessness towards her enemies, but a normal length season with a bit more character development would have made her decision to burn King’s Landing and kill thousands of innocents far more believable.  The loss of Jorah, Missandei, two of her dragons plus the realization that her right to the throne is no longer legit created the necessary desperation without the normal checks & balances for her to something crazy (“ok, it will be fear then”).  It just felt so sudden because that last part happened across a couple episodes and didn’t give Dany the character build-up such a tragic turn should warrant.

I agree it felt rushed. It makes sense though. It was obvious when she was in Winterfell that she was empty. She lost everything. Missandei represented her innocence and she lost her too. Shes lost Selmy, Jorah, Missandei, Jon, her dragons, her innocence, her right to the throne etc. It's a lot of story and there's only so much time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Sansa

Meh. Not sure why the other kingdoms would have any interest in Sansa over Jon Snow. A lot of people would have to die for that outcome to make any sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Meh. Not sure why the other kingdoms would have any interest in Sansa over Jon Snow. A lot of people would have to die for that outcome to make any sense 

They won't have a choice. Jon's gonna retire in the North with his dog. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dany/Jon love story was rushed as fuck too. Nobody complained because that's what they wanted. It reminds of the end of the Sopranos. Everyone was all butthurt, but they forgot about the butthurt as time went on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao, no.   The prequels were the biggest movie letdown of my lifetime.  TFA might be a copy of ANH and TLJ isn't everyone's cup of tea but they were better in every way.

I vehemently disagree. TFA was the biggest movie letdown of my life. I thought it was exponentially worse than even the Phantom Menace. They're two movies in and there is still no fucking character development from Rey and Finn. You have no idea what or who either of them are, how Rey became Force-aware, etc. Kylo Ren is also a horrible villain and only Adam Driver's acting saves his character from being a complete fucking disaster. 

Anakin is a much better villain and they just chose the wrong guy( Christensen is a bad actor) to play him.  The writing, story and plot in the prequels are infinitely better than the sequels, and the sequels just seem like action movies on the Star Wars universe with no rhyme or reason about anything. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I vehemently disagree. TFA was the biggest movie letdown of my life. I thought it was exponentially worse than even the Phantom Menace. They're two movies in and there is still no fucking character development from Rey and Finn. You have no idea what or who either of them are, how Rey became Force-aware, etc. Kylo Ren is also a horrible villain and only Adam Driver's acting saves his character from being a complete fucking disaster. 

Anakin is a much better villain and they just chose the wrong guy( Christensen is a bad actor) to play him.  The writing, story and plot in the prequels are infinitely better than the sequels, and the sequels just seem like action movies on the Star Wars universe with no rhyme or reason about anything. 

I'm not turning this into a sideways Star Wars discussion, however, There is a reason the prequels are the worst reviewed of all of the Star Wars proper movies.  When you have to say "well 15 years later they didn't suck as bad as I thought" that is not a ringing endorsement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I vehemently disagree. TFA was the biggest movie letdown of my life. I thought it was exponentially worse than even the Phantom Menace. They're two movies in and there is still no fucking character development from Rey and Finn. You have no idea what or who either of them are, how Rey became Force-aware, etc. Kylo Ren is also a horrible villain and only Adam Driver's acting saves his character from being a complete fucking disaster. 

Anakin is a much better villain and they just chose the wrong guy( Christensen is a bad actor) to play him.  The writing, story and plot in the prequels are infinitely better than the sequels, and the sequels just seem like action movies on the Star Wars universe with no rhyme or reason about anything. 

You just stated why they were so bad.  Terrible casting and acting from Hayden Christensen and don’t forget Natalie Portman as well.  Not to mention that awful kid.

Edited by Harper2Sox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

That idiot Jack Parkman is going to ruin this thread too, huh? That dude can't help himself. Get that Star Wars shit out of here. 

Sorry, my bad.  Enough talking about a series of crappy movies.  😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T.V show endings have to be one of toughest things to do.  It's like people seem to always hate them.  I think people imagine the way a show should end in their head and if it ends any other way it's "bad writing" or they ran out of material.

I think a lot of people really like Dany, so they are having a hard time seeing her go off the deep end, but I think that's why it's so good.  It's not Cersei being evil, it's someone that you rooted for through out the show and now have to root against.  

You shouldn't be surprised though, they have always hinted that she has this in her and through out the show she has shown signs of it and really in the last season has had a lot of things not go her way.  It's also not a completely new story arc, the hero to villain has been done before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

T.V show endings have to be one of toughest things to do.  It's like people seem to always hate them.  I think people imagine the way a show should end in their head and if it ends any other way it's "bad writing" or they ran out of material.

I think a lot of people really like Dany, so they are having a hard time seeing her go off the deep end, but I think that's why it's so good.  It's not Cersei being evil, it's someone that you rooted for through out the show and now have to root against.  

You shouldn't be surprised though, they have always hinted that she has this in her and through out the show she has shown signs of it and really in the last season has had a lot of things not go her way.  It's also not a completely new story arc, the hero to villain has been done before.

I was a supporter of Dany turning bad but I have zero clue why she started indiscriminately flaming people. They can’t just expect a dramatic look to do that work. Her wanting to rule through fear doesn’t cut it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was a supporter of Dany turning bad but I have zero clue why she started indiscriminately flaming people. They can’t just expect a dramatic look to do that work. Her wanting to rule through fear doesn’t cut it. 

She's crazy with rage. She's lost everything. She's born of incest from a whole line of psychos. It all makes sense to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

She's crazy with rage. She's lost everything. She's born of incest from a whole line of psychos. It all makes sense to me. 

Yep, and wasn’t it even hinted in either the books or show that generations of incest causes mental problems / psychosis?

Edited by Harper2Sox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the last couple episodes they killed her best friend, her dragon and then had a lot of people close to her start to doubt her or just straight up turn on her and she was clearly losing it.

Also, she is from a family that tends to do this.

Edited by GoSox05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoSox05 said:

In the last couple episodes they killed her best friend, her dragon and then had a lot of people close to her start to doubt her or just straight up turn on her and she was clearly losing it.

And her nephew doesn’t want to bang her anymore.  😂

Many losses and perceived betrayals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×