White Sox pitchers tie MLB record with 20 strikeouts in 9 inning game

Buehrle>Wood

I'm surprised there hasn't been more conversations about yesterday's game.  Friday's come back win was awesome, but what Lopez and the bullpen accomplished was something special.  The Sox tied the all time MLB record for strikeouts in a 9 inning game.  Lopez set a career high with 14 strikeouts.  He's only the third pitcher in history to strikeout at least 14 and give up no earned runs in 6 or more innings.

What we saw from Lopez is very encouraging.  I obviously don't expect him to come out start after start and pitch like that, but it's got a be a huge confidence builder for him.  He certainly has the stuff to be an ace.  He had his best stuff along with excellent control yesterday.  70 fastballs thrown, 34 swung at, and only 3 times was the ball put in play.  That's pretty damn remarkable.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more conversations about yesterday's game.  Friday's come back win was awesome, but what Lopez and the bullpen accomplished was something special.  The Sox tied the all time MLB record for strikeouts in a 9 inning game.  Lopez set a career high with 14 strikeouts.  He's only the third pitcher in history to strikeout at least 14 and give up no earned runs in 6 or more innings.

What we saw from Lopez is very encouraging.  I obviously don't expect him to come out start after start and pitch like that, but it's got a be a huge confidence builder for him.  He certainly has the stuff to be an ace.  He had his best stuff along with excellent control yesterday.  70 fastballs thrown, 34 swung at, and only 3 times was the ball put in play.  That's pretty damn remarkable.

Yeah I really thought it would be a bigger story . It was actually the last game highlight the MLB network showed on their nightly show ( MLB Tonight ) recapping all the games. I was "Really 20 K's is dead last in the highlight reel ?"