FS: White Sox draft strategy should deviate from college to prep

Y2Jimmy0

I understand the nat writers tendency to, in the absence of good information this year, fall back on trends.

That said, I think there have been enough meaningful changes in the org to question how well past precedent applies.

I don't know why I'm less enamored with the outfielders, probably just know less about them. Crow-Armstrong if anything reminds me of those players that have overperformed, but yeah I agree that I like almost all of them over Hjerstad and Bailey.

There's just so much development that goes into developing these players offensively, let alone a switch hitting player, let alone a catcher who has so much defensive development to do. Overwhelmingly amazing offensive catcher like Rutschman? I'm all about. The solid plus offense, should be average defensive catchers? There's just a lot that goes wrong.

Soderstrom/Howard I like. THe outfielders, just haven't really spent much time on.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

I understand the nat writers tendency to, in the absence of good information this year, fall back on trends.

That said, I think there have been enough meaningful changes in the org to question how well past precedent applies.

I don't know why I'm less enamored with the outfielders, probably just know less about them. Crow-Armstrong if anything reminds me of those players that have overperformed, but yeah I agree that I like almost all of them over Hjerstad and Bailey.

There's just so much development that goes into developing these players offensively, let alone a switch hitting player, let alone a catcher who has so much defensive development to do. Overwhelmingly amazing offensive catcher like Rutschman? I'm all about. The solid plus offense, should be average defensive catchers? There's just a lot that goes wrong.

Soderstrom/Howard I like. THe outfielders, just haven't really spent much time on.

I think Soderstrom or Howard would be the most likely. It was moreso me being down on the next tier of college bats. They just don't do much for me. I think Detmers is the pick if he gets to them but I'd probably predict Soderstrom/Howard after that. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Soderstrom or Howard would be the most likely. It was moreso me being down on the next tier of college bats. They just don't do much for me. I think Detmers is the pick if he gets to them but I'd probably predict Soderstrom/Howard after that. 

I'm with you, it's mainly the draft this year though it's specifically Bailey's profile and Hjerstads hit tool that scare me.

Obviously if Martin fell...I'm not saying no. But it's also just a matter of no late-riser college hitting prospect because they lost the opportunity to rake. I'm sure some of the college hitting talent may end up exploding onto scene next year, and I feel for them.

I think I'm on the Hassell/Howard train for prep hitters. Though I wouldn't be disappointed in any of the prep bats that have been mentioned. The college bats that should be around for pick 11 are just underwhelming this year and it's time to restock the lower minors.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

The problem is that behind veen who likely is gone this is a rather weak HS class unlike last year which was very strong. 

Howard is not bad but the swing needs some work, especially the lower body. Crow Armstrong is not bad either but probably not a top15 talent.

• Like 1

How is the payout going to be affected? Will they get their full slot? I am thinking , at least for HS players, if there is some sort of adjustment, not signing and going to at least JUCO, might be an option  more take, and wait until things get back to normal. I am normally a take the college guy, there is more of a track record, especially this year kind of guy, but the guy the mocks have the Sox taking, Bailey, does nothing for me. So going HS might be the play.There will be  a future star available when the Sox select. Hopefully, the Sox select him or them.

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How is the payout going to be affected? Will they get their full slot? I am thinking , at least for HS players, if there is some sort of adjustment, not signing and going to at least JUCO, might be an option  more take, and wait until things get back to normal. I am normally a take the college guy, there is more of a track record, especially this year kind of guy, but the guy the mocks have the Sox taking, Bailey, does nothing for me. So going HS might be the play.There will be  a future star available when the Sox select. Hopefully, the Sox select him or them.

They get their money but it's deferred. For example, if Zac Veen goes #4 overall and signs for like $7 million, he gets the money over the next two years. Every players gets a maximum of $100K this year. Then he'd get $3.5 million in July of 2021 and $3.5million in July of 2022. The top prep guys will still sign but many have tough decisions to make. It's easy to just go to college but colleges will also have juniors and seniors returning and college coaches don't have all the rules in place yet. It's a mess. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They get their money but it's deferred. For example, if Zac Veen goes #4 overall and signs for like $7 million, he gets the money over the next two years. Every players gets a maximum of $100K this year. Then he'd get $3.5 million in July of 2021 and $3.5million in July of 2022. The top prep guys will still sign but many have tough decisions to make. It's easy to just go to college but colleges will also have juniors and seniors returning and college coaches don't have all the rules in place yet. It's a mess. 

I Think most of the top2 round HS guys will sign and they guys who can't go to juco or college. 

Sure it is tougher this year but the 21 (due to juco hs guys and good college seniors who  rather get their degree than take 20k) and 23 draft (hs guys going 4 yrs college) are going to be absolutely loaded in talent so there is a lot of competition and many might take 80 cents on the dollar now. Obviously no serious hs prospect is going to sign for 20k.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I love the idea of potentially transitioning the SS role from Tim Anderson to Ed Howard five years from now.  That timing would almost work out perfectly IMO.

Tim and Ed up the middle together 😍

• Like 1