Jerry Reinsdorf is cheap

The team was bought in 1981. By 1983, there was the first division title and the first ever 2,000,000 attendance season. Then the team spent almost all of the remainder of the decade under .500.

Won the division in 1993, had a good shot at the World Series in 1994. Then the strike came, and the team spent the almost the rest of the decade under .500.

Had a nice stretch from 2000-08 with three division titles and a World Series championship. Then from 09-19, had only two winning seasons and didn't come close to the division title.

Makes you wonder.

• Like 2

Jerry Reinsdorf bought this team when he was 44 years old.  

He’s been the owner for over 40 years now.  Now at age 85 this year, he may for the first time in over four decades see his team make it to the postseason in consecutive years.  

A scant 6 postseason appearances in 40 years.  Noodle over that for awhile, why don’t you.  

(And last year was a gimme, because third place teams don’t typically make the playoffs!)

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Jerry Reinsdorf bought this team when he was 44 years old.  

He’s been the owner for over 40 years now.  Now at age 85 this year, he may for the first time in over four decades see his team make it to the postseason in consecutive years.  

A scant 6 postseason appearances in 40 years.  Noodle over that for awhile, why don’t you.  

(And last year was a gimme, because third place teams don’t typically make the playoffs!)

Well, the Rockies managed that feat as recently as 2017-18 and some are now calling them the worst combined organization/GM in baseball.

https://www.startribune.com/twins-starting-to-map-out-plans-for-return-of-fans/600016808/?ref=nl&om_rid=48311239113&om_mid=2318334409

That the Twins are able to plan out having limited numbers in the stands for ST and Opening Day...compared to the White Sox situation, might be yet another reason/excuse JR is tapping the brakes on excessive (at least in his eyes) spending.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

I think it’s going to be very interesting to see what this team will do or pursue at the end of the decade when the lease at 35th Street is up, and if the new owner (hopefully by then) is able or motivated to move the team to a more viable location.  

When the White  Sox were looking for a new stadium in the mid 1980s the City of Chicago offered to build a stadium for JR   in the South Loop at Roosevelt and Clark. He turned down the offer.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WBWSF said:

When the White  Sox were looking for a new stadium in the mid 1980s the City of Chicago offered to build a stadium for JR   in the South Loop at Roosevelt and Clark. He turned down the offer.

Why settle for a view of the Chicago skyline and lake, when you can have an unobstructed view of the Robert Taylor homes.

Reinsdorf and Wirtz, once a slumlord, always a slumlord.

• Like 1

I've changed my stance on Reinsdorf over the years from apologist to hater, but my God you guys are dramatic. I sat last season out because I thought it was irresponsible to play during the pandemic. This is the second most talented Sox team in my 40 years on the planet. I'm gonna enjoy it. 

12 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Completely inaccurate.  The stadium offered was to be shared with the Bears.  Reinsdorf agreed.  The Bears refused and killed it.

WHITE SOX NEAR ACCORD ON SOUTH LOOP STADIUM - Chicago Tribune

35 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Completely inaccurate.  The stadium offered was to be shared with the Bears.  Reinsdorf agreed.  The Bears refused and killed it.

WHITE SOX NEAR ACCORD ON SOUTH LOOP STADIUM - Chicago Tribune

A later offer was made to JR. South Side Sox had an article written by Rob Hart (November 9, 2012) which went into greater detail on the subject. Bruce levine had a similar article on the subject also. It really didn't matter because JR had no interest in the South Loop location. He wanted the stadium built in Addison/  Dupage county simply because he owned the land where the stadium was going to be built. I have no doubt in my mind that JR would have taken the South Loop offer if he hadn't owned the land in Addison.