3/28 | White Sox vs Diamondbacks | 3:05PM CT | NBCS Chicago / ESPN1000/MLB.tv

Tnetennba

Just now, Greydawgfan1 said:

He’s also a guy with only 60 mlb games guys a freak athleticism. It doesn’t mean it’s going to happen right away. That was the case for Anderson, moncada and eloy. Not sure why Sox fans have forgotten that. He will be fine. Moncada led the majors in strikeouts. You guys just gotta be patient. 

I do forget that last season was so short. I just hope he doesn't have the typical sophomore slump is all.

36 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Not being a meatball. He has made Good contact 2 times in 2 weeks. I really hope its boredom and wanting to work through things. I am one of his biggest fans, but he still is chasing too often and is in 0-2 counts nearly half his at bats. I know spring training means nothing, but the tendencies remain to start the season quite often. He will still be elite when he makes contact, but 47% swing rate is 3rd worst in baseball and worth watching in April. I still think he is a peak 7-8 WAR guy if everything clicks, but that is several seasons away until discipline improves. His minors numbers show adversity and then explosion though, so I would rather the struggles be now then when it matters. With Eloy out he is probably the most important bat in the lineup.

There’s reason to wonder. He has never done it for a full season. But he had one big slump last year and was coming out of it. He hasn’t looked good yet this spring, but maybe he is getting his slump out of the way while it doesn’t count. A guy that swings at as much as he does, is going to have some slumps. But I’m glad the Sox have him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nice AB by Robert. Even last year during his slump, Robert's ABs are wildly inconsistent. There are times that he swings at everything, and others where he's patient. It's baffling. 

I think he is making up his mind before the pitch is released. Imo that is an issue. He is aware he needs to be more patient and he tries to anticipate ball or strike. This causes him to take meatballs and take late swings on fastballs down the pipe. 

My take is for now he should be MORE agressive even though it sounds counter intuitive because a guy with his batspeed shouldn't take late and tardy swings on fastballs. Don't mess with his mind by trying to make him "patient", he needs to be aggressive and all over the fastball. 

The cubs failed with the same with baez and almost ruined him by teaching patience. He then was much better when he was let loose and stopped worrying about chasing and pitch counts. 

You still need to work on pitch recognition with free swingers bug not artificial patience, you always want to be in swing mode and stop when it is not a strike. 

For example there is a tool where you throw through a rim and the player learns to project the ball out of the hand better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

La Russa has said in multiple occasions he has the most talent on the entire team. He’s literally just young and spring training numbers don’t matter at all. Like at all to people who watch baseball. We don’t know what he’s working on was told to do. Spring training matters 0 percent. 

You sound like the kind of guy who didn’t watch Robert chase six or more sliders out of the zone every game last year.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vulture said:

You sound like the kind of guy who didn’t watch Robert chase six or more sliders out of the zone every game last year.

You sound like the kind of guy who doesn’t understand development takes time sometimes. Roberts isn’t instantaneous eloy and moncada chased everything at first. Maybe you guys need to stop being so worried constantly and realize what’s actually going on.