Garland signs a 1-year deal

bulokis

official white sox email (beware, it allows for a secret internet presale)

JON GARLAND SIGNS ONE-YEAR CONTRACT

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox and pitcher Jon Garland have agreed to terms on a $2.3 million, one-year contract, avoiding arbitration.

Garland, 24, went 12-13 with a 4.51 ERA (96 ER/191.2 IP) in 32 starts for the White Sox in 2003. The 6-foot-6, 210-pound right-hander lowered his ERA nearly three runs after May 8, going 10-10 with a 3.97 ERA (69 ER/156.1 IP) over his final 25 starts. He made 18 quality starts and matched his career high in wins (12 in 2002).

Garland is averaging 11 wins, 190.1 IP, 108 strikeouts and 31 starts over his three-year career.

I have always been a Jon Garland fan. If he can build on how he finishes a season, which is usually good, I think he can be a 20 game winner. However, $2.3M is pretty good for a guy averaging just 11 wins a year. If he only wins 11 in 2004 that computes out at $209090.90 per win, $12105.26 per inning or $74193.54 per start. No wonder baseball is in economic ruin. He has got to step up this year and earn that salary.

I wonder what Garland's story in life is.

Does he have a dad?

A former coach?

Somebody who could take him under his wing and light some incredible

fire?

It's obvious he is a talented pitcher who needs some work upstairs.

I could be off base but reading between the lines I bet he is one of those

guys players like Pudge Fisk hated. Ones who don't want advice.

Garland is a stud who needs some pitching coach/authority figure

to get him to want it.

Or perhaps I don' t know what the f*** I'm talking about, but it's a theory, anyway.

Blah. $2.3 million for a mediocre, .500 pitcher with no consistency. Overpaid in my book.

According to Elias Sports Burea, the guideline used for arbitration compensation, Jon was a B player. However he was the top B player, That being said it would have been great for us to get him signed at this level for a few years. He will almost certainly be an A player for the rest of his career. Good job signing Garland I just wish it was longer. The last 2 years jons pitche 384 innings and won 24 games. what more There's plenty of teams out there you'd pay more than 2.3 MIL for that kind of production.

For those of you that have run of patience waiting for Garland to emerge, read this paragraph from a Boston newspaper regarding Curt Schilling:

Approving a trade will return Schilling to the organization in which he began. A second-round pick by the Sox in 1986, he was traded (with Brady Anderson) to the Baltimore Orioles [stats, schedule] in July 1988 for veteran right-hander Mike Boddicker. He made it to the majors late in the '88 season but only showed occasional flashes of brilliance with the Orioles (1988-90) and Houston Astros ('91). Schilling didn't develop into one of the game's top pitchers until being acquired by the Phillies in '92.

A guy like Mark Prior who can step onto a major league mound and be an ace from the very beginning is rare. It takes time to learn how to be a major league pitcher. Even for someone who is a very intelligent person, like Schilling. The article said he bacame a top pitcher in '92. His record that year was 14-11. Jon Garland is, at least, in that neighborhood. Schilling did not have a 20 win season until 2001.