Dallas Morning News Opinion Article

kapkomet

The Rangers cannot repeat the recent mistakes of the Chicago White Sox, who gave away prospects in a doomed switch from their goal of being a development-based organization.

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams made four pennant-race deals last summer. He gave up 10 minor leaguers, and the White Sox fizzled.

The traded minor leaguers included Rangers right-hander Frankie Francisco and Cincinnati corner infielder Tim Hummel. Francisco has become an integral part of the Rangers' strong bullpen.

The White Sox would be better off now had they not made the deal that brought in center fielder Carl Everett for Francisco and two other minor leaguers.

Hicks said he understands the club must turn its back on temptation. The Rangers will stick to the plan, Hicks said.

Thoughts? I agree that the Sox, playing MMQB, probably would have been better to stay the course last year, or was it better to go for broke?

The Rangers cannot repeat the recent mistakes of the Chicago White Sox, who gave away prospects in a doomed switch from their goal of being a development-based organization.

How many of the prospects that were given up last year are in the ML this year? :huh:

Yes, he can play SS, 3B and 2B.  And again, I stress, he is better than Dransfeldt.

He's hitting .308 in 27 games with the Reds this year.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...layer_id=400019

I know he is better than him but that would have not mattered unless he played short. Now i know that he can so i agree with you that he would have been up before dransfeldt.

I know he is better than him but that would have not mattered unless he played short. Now i know that he can so i agree with you that he would have been up before dransfeldt.

BTW, how do you have nearly 2,000 posts?

Didn't you register fairly recently?

I've been saying what that writer has been for years. But i'm way in the minority and you don't want to piss of 90% of your fans, so we must go for it! Future be damned!

How much longer are we going to wait for the future? It's been, what 87 years or so since the Sox won a WS?

I've been saying what that writer has been for years. But i'm way in the minority and you don't want to piss of 90% of your fans, so we must go for it! Future be damned!

KW is in tough s***. Do you forsake your future for immediate improvement? There's always the risk of falling short. If the players traded for are "rented," any prospects which develop on the other team are magnified; as the case with Hummel, Ring, Francisco. Suppose the only means of overshadowing those trades are World Series Championships..............

Because JR imposes a mid level payroll, and Sox are consistently mediocre (no "cant miss" draft pics), our management must learn to balance both sides. Sox possess enough money to sign adequate FA's, but don't have the means of obtaining superstar players. Its impertinent (for our future) to field a team consisting of FA's and home-grown players. When Magglio leaves next year, Reed/Borchard should be available to fill his spot. Only because thats the way it is with this team.

What it comes down to is KW cannot continue foresaking our farm to fix problems which should have been addressed in the offseason.

Yes, he can play SS, 3B and 2B.  And again, I stress, he is better than Dransfeldt.

He's hitting .308 in 27 games with the Reds this year.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...layer_id=400019

I'm better than Dransfeldt. Hummel is better than he, but he wouldn't have played much. KW definitely did not destroy the farm system last season.

This issue of trading our talent (or any team for that matter) for experience is one that could really spark a lot of conversation. I don't like to see the Sox give up young players, but if we are careful about it then maybe it isn't so bad as long as we are getting players who help and we win. I remember not too long ago watching ESPN BBTN and Harold reynolds said he couldn't understand the reluctance of teams to trade prospects for a player who is established and fills a need. He thought the concept of keeping prospects and waiting for them to develop was overrated.

Opinions????

I'm better than Dransfeldt. Hummel is better than he, but he wouldn't have played much. KW definitely did not destroy the farm system last season.

Exactly, if he was putting monstrous numbers it would be a different story but he's not.

Hummel and Fransisco.

What a hilarious article.

Tim Hummel sucks. Saw him in the series against the Cubs last year.

Left a lot of runners on base and was simply AWFUL defensively at third - an error and really should have been given at least another 2, including a big "double" that just ate him alive. Below average speed. He would't make this year's Sox team this year anyway.

Francisco? Throws hard. So did Matt Anderson.

Ring? AAAA player.

Webster? A-ball.

Almonte? Chipper Jones would love to see him again, fo sho. :lol:

Rupe? Not sure where he is now.

I would trade low- and mid-level prospects for Drew or Finley in a SECOND.

How much longer are we going to wait for the future?  It's been, what 87 years or so since the Sox won a WS?

Its that sort of attitude that's responsible for the Sox not winning the World Series in 87 years. Trading away the stars of the future means that future teams won't be that much fun to watch.

What a hilarious article. 

Tim Hummel sucks. Saw him in the series against the Cubs last year. 

Left a lot of runners on base and was simply AWFUL defensively at third - an error and really should have been given at least another 2, including a big "double" that just ate him alive.  Below average speed. He would't make this year's Sox team this year anyway.

Francisco? Throws hard. So did Matt Anderson.

Ring?  AAAA player.

Webster?  A-ball.

Almonte?    Chipper Jones would love to see him again, fo sho. :lol:

Rupe?  Not sure where he is now.

I would trade low- and mid-level prospects for Drew or Finley in a SECOND.

i actually agree with Brando... wow...

Its that sort of attitude that's responsible for the Sox not winning the World Series in 87 years.  Trading away the stars of the future means that future teams won't be that much fun to watch.

Stars of the future? WTF are you smoking? We almost always sell.

But just to go along with what you say, of that great minor league system we used to have way back in 2000, how many have become very good major leaguers? Kip Wells and Mark Buehrle? Wow, what a crop.

Most of the time, prospects do not become anything big.

We usually do not give up big time prospects at the deadline for big time players. There is a correlation at times. You settle for mediocre players, guess where your franchise is heading.

Its that sort of attitude that's responsible for the Sox not winning the World Series in 87 years.  Trading away the stars of the future means that future teams won't be that much fun to watch.

Yeah let's stay out of playoffs for a few more years while the Cubs win the World Series or two....and thus render the Sox utterly irrelevant for decades to come, effective eroding our already deteriorated fan-base.....drying up revenue streams and negatively affecting future talent-buying power - the very future of which you speak so fondly.

Throwing away the "future" on guys like Finley may not always be a great idea because CF is not such a burning need, but when it comes to big-time pitchers who can propel the team to WS title, you have to sacrifice your Borchards and your Rauchs - it's not as if we're talking about Pujols and Prior, the two can't miss real deals here - Borchard is 26 and is nothing special in AAA sandbox, while Rauch has less velocity, less break and more erratic control than he did in 2000.

If you're the Sox and you play in the s***ty ALC, you have to go for every year. We already blew HUGE opportunities in 2001-2003; each progressing year is a mini do-or-die situation for this franchise. Jeremy Reed and maybe Sweeney and the Gonzalez dude ares the only prospects I'd miss at this point.