Sox GM says new deal for Maggs Possible

hi8is

"White Sox manager Ken Williams said Friday he's still hopeful of reaching a new contract agreement with star right fielder Magglio Ordonez, currently on the disabled list with a knee injury.

Ordonez, the subject of recent trade rumors, is in the final season of a three-year, $29.5 million deal that is paying him $14 million this season.

In the off-season, he told reporters he'd like to stay in Chicago with a long-term deal similar to ones signed by Vladimir Guerrero and Miguel Tejada. Guerrero got a $70 million, five-year contract from Anaheim, and Tejada received a $72 million, six-year deal from Baltimore.

"We'll put something forth that is not too far away from what he orginally wanted," Williams said without addressing specifics. "We want to make sure we have some sort of protection in the event that he's not healthy in that fifth year, certainly not taking away any of the overall dollars. I think the framework is there for a deal to be consummated. Only time will tell and only he will be able to give us that indication."

Ordonez, a four-time All-Star, had surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee June 5. He was not with the White Sox before Friday's game with the Cubs.

"I don't know where he is. I haven't see him for what four days," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "When you are on the DL, you can do whatever you want to do."

Trainer Herm Schneider said Ordonez was spending the time in a Chicago suburb rehabbing his knee injury.

"We backed him off and did some therapy in a more consistent environment. It's just too small here and we can't get done what we need to get done," Schneider said. "I have been in touch with him."

Ordonez, who is batting .311 with eight homers and 34 RBIs, was expected to miss four to six weeks. "

This article and these quotes were obtained and released TODAY... sorry, forgot to put the date... July 2nd....

it looks like KW is going to go to maggs and say... look, this is the best i can do... X mil for 5 years, with a deminishing skills clasue and if you dont take it within the next couple weeks, your gonna finish the season on a diffrent team.

thats what it means to me.

If I'm Maggs, I'm signing if it is even close to what I am looking for. I highly doubt he is going to get many(if any) sizeable 5 year offers when you consider that he is 30 and has had knee surgery this season. I bet Vlad expected to get more money last year, but his back slowed some interest, even though he is younger. Much as I love Mags, he isn't in the same league as Vlad, and he got 5 years $70 mil. I-Rod had the same problems.

This article and these quotes were obtained and released TODAY... sorry, forgot to put the date... July 2nd....

it looks like KW is going to go to maggs and say... look, this is the best i can do... X mil for 5 years, with a deminishing skills clasue and if you dont take it within the next couple weeks, your gonna finish the season on a diffrent team.

I know it probably was, but Kenny has been saying he has been trying a new contract the whole year

+K0 and these quotes were obtained and released TODAY... sorry, forgot to put the date... July 2nd....

If the offer is as straight up as that and the money is in the Vlad/Tejada ballpark I think we'll resign him. But (and this is my big worry) if they offer another contract filled with deferred money and incentive-laden clauses in addition to the DSC, the Ordonez era will be over.

yep, i think the same thing... looks to me like a trade is comming sooner then later involving maggs... OR of course, maggs really wants to stay and accepts

who knows.... btw

they just said on Baseball tonight, "It looks like Kenny Williams and the Sox are going to give Maggs anywhere between 15 and 17 MILLION a year!"

wow, either thats good PR set up for a trade, maggs gettin a monster contract, or BBTN has the wrong info!

heh

and this was on the www.chisox.com front page

""Yes, we do have some deferred compensation tied to it," Williams said. "It was designed to create a little flexibility for us to put together a solid ball club. Yes, the fifth year, I guess is an issue."

"White Sox manager Ken Williams said Friday he's still hopeful of reaching a new contract agreement with star right fielder Magglio Ordonez, currently on the disabled list with a knee injury.

Ordonez, the subject of recent trade rumors, is in the final season of a three-year, $29.5 million deal that is paying him $14 million this season.

In the off-season, he told reporters he'd like to stay in Chicago with a long-term deal similar to ones signed by Vladimir Guerrero and Miguel Tejada. Guerrero got a $70 million, five-year contract from Anaheim, and Tejada received a $72 million, six-year deal from Baltimore.

"We'll put something forth that is not too far away from what he orginally wanted," Williams said without addressing specifics. "We want to make sure we have some sort of protection in the event that he's not healthy in that fifth year, certainly not taking away any of the overall dollars. I think the framework is there for a deal to be consummated. Only time will tell and only he will be able to give us that indication."

Ordonez, a four-time All-Star, had surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee June 5. He was not with the White Sox before Friday's game with the Cubs.

"I don't know where he is. I haven't see him for what four days," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "When you are on the DL, you can do whatever you want to do."

Trainer Herm Schneider said Ordonez was spending the time in a Chicago suburb rehabbing his knee injury.

"We backed him off and did some therapy in a more consistent environment. It's just too small here and we can't get done what we need to get done," Schneider said. "I have been in touch with him."

Ordonez, who is batting .311 with eight homers and 34 RBIs, was expected to miss four to six weeks. "

A key part of the article. I love what KW said in the first sentence about the X amount of dollars!

Screw Ortiz and Jones. Both are overrated and overpaid. Keep Maggs for the rest of the year. They're going to need his bat. Doesn't make much sense to trade your best hitter when you're making a playoff push, does it? And who has the best staff going into the playoffs means little. It's all a crap shoot. Did the Cubs win it all? No. How many rings do the A's have? None. Out of 12 playoff appearances, why do the Braves have one ring? I dare you to name two starters for the Angels team that won. You need to be able to score runs in the playoffs, no matter who starts. Besides, I would much rather take a run at guys like Clement, Pavano, Perez, or Radke in the offseason than be stuck with Jones' albatross of a deal. Or we could resign Garcia, or sign Ortiz in the offseason without giving up any prospects or our star hitter to get him.

This is quite a dilemma. I love Maggs being on the Sox and we need him for the stretch drive, for sure. At the same time, I don't think he's worth 25% of the teams payroll. So if we keep him without signing him, we lose a very valuable commodity and get close to nothing in return. It appears that there is not a good solution to this scenario. No matter what move KW decides to make, it has real potential to backfire.