music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 08:21 AM)
Really. I heard they would be playing in a dump that reeks of urine, and has nets up to protect spectators from falling concrete.

My "source" said Soldiers Field...he thought...he knew it was a place that nobody has played in a long time. I went along with him figuring it was Soldiers, just due to my knowing there have been shows at Soldiers. I never heard of anybody playing Wrigley...nor did it make any kind of sense at all. Surely they would want Soldiers, as they could sell WAY more tickets, I would think.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)
My "source" said Soldiers Field...he thought...he knew it was a place that nobody has played in a long time. I went along with him figuring it was Soldiers, just due to my knowing there have been shows at Soldiers. I never heard of anybody playing Wrigley...nor did it make any kind of sense at all. Surely they would want Soldiers, as they could sell WAY more tickets, I would think.

It may still be Soldier Field, but I've read and heard that the City Council has received requests to hold July 4 and 5 for a possible concert at Wrigley.

The Police are in St. Louis on July 2, so the dates make sense for them to be the group in question.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
Has anyone listened to Devendra Banhart. Donavon for the 21st century. He can be a little hit and miss, but when he's good he's very good.

his albums have gotten more and more hit and miss. The first half of cripple crow is undeniably good. Rejoicing in the hands is my favorite album. but "like a child" is my favorite track. Saw him last year, he was great. Not so good at pitchfork music fest.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 01:27 AM)
I think they're all great but I've got to say Either/Or is at the top of my list. Elliott Smith, XO, Figure 8, and From A Basement On The Hill are all good in their own different ways. And I would put Roman Candle just a notch below all of them.

And I just came across elliottsmithbsides.com recently and I gotta say a lot of his unreleased material is just as good as, if not better than, some of the stuff on his albums. I love Stickman, Abused, High Times, Brand New Game. And for some reason I can't stop listening to the instrumental track See You In Heaven. I guess you could say that I'm a little obsessed.

I have to agree with your list of elliott albums. either/or is my favorite followed by XO.

Have you heard about the possible biopic on Elliott's life? I read this the other day, with Zach Braff being rumored to play the role of Elliott. I hope this is all just a rumor and nothing like this ever sees the light of day. Elliott was too much of a private individual and there is no way that hollywood would be able to get his life right.

QUOTE(BoKnows @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
I have to agree with your list of elliott albums. either/or is my favorite followed by XO.

Have you heard about the possible biopic on Elliott's life? I read this the other day, with Zach Braff being rumored to play the role of Elliott. I hope this is all just a rumor and nothing like this ever sees the light of day. Elliott was too much of a private individual and there is no way that hollywood would be able to get his life right.

It's hard to pick a favorite, so I just load 'em all and put it on shuffle.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
By the way, I believe Arcade Fire is the muscial guest on SNL tonight. I don't understand the hypeat all, but if you like em', go nuts.

i love em. And i've stopped saying 'hype' with indie bands because i realized the hype is for like .9% of americans. Hype would be better designated for chinese democracy

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)

Jimmy Buffett played there a couple of years ago and Dave Matthews was supposed to this year, but his wife is having a baby around the same time that they were to play there, so he backed out. People planning a riverboat tour breathed a sigh of relief.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
well, i mean like them or not, them and the strokes have defined the 00's sound as far as the music i listen to. Everyone wants to be the arcade fire now, and they've had some real kickass songs i think.

....speaking of The Strokes, Casablancas, Trent Reznor and Mark Lanegan will be on the next QOTSA disc. Here is a um preview, :D note the 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' riff. I hope they're up to something big.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
So I recently picked up my Jay-Z Unplugged album, and I gotta say, it' definitely one of my favorite live albums that I've ever listened to. The Roots really make his beats sound so soulful and the crowd is excellent.

I wish that was the direction hip hop was going,then I would actually listen to it.

So I recently picked up my Jay-Z Unplugged album, and I gotta say, it' definitely one of my favorite live albums that I've ever listened to. The Roots really make his beats sound so soulful and the crowd is excellent.

Indeed, good cd, and yes The Roots are very solid.

If you like them, allow me to offer you some other excellent choices: J-Live, Nas (he's a must have for any hip hop fan, particularly the cd 'Illmatic'.), Talib Kweli (he's a style similar to Jay-z), Mos def (check youtube for a song "Dollar Day aka Katrina Klap").

Mos def raps about alot of real things - government. Check out the song Dollar day, and check out the collab he did with Immortal Technique entitled Bin Laden.

QUOTE(CryptviLL @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)

If you like them, allow me to offer you some other excellent choices: J-Live, Nas (he's a must have for any hip hop fan, particularly the cd 'Illmatic'.), Talib Kweli (he's a style similar to Jay-z), Mos def (check youtube for a song "Dollar Day aka Katrina Klap").

If you like those guys and are willing to stray away from mainstream, I suggest anything by Dead Prez, Gangstarr, J Dilla, The Coup, and my favorite white rapper of all time, Atmosphere. He's kinda emo for a rapper, but its good stuff.

QUOTE(CryptviLL @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)

Mos def raps about alot of real things - government. Check out the song Dollar day, and check out the collab he did with Immortal Technique entitled Bin Laden.

Dude, why reccommend artists everyone has heard of? I never listen to rap and I know all those artists. In fact, I try to AVOID that music, but it's IMPOSSIBLE not to hear it at some point or another. Not trying to offend.

But, can I ask what you see in the mainstream rap? I've heard some decent "underground" stuff, but I just can't find the appeal in the mainstream stuff. Perhaps you can explain the appeal?

Oh, oh...and...what do the other rappers rap about? Wizards, swords and science fiction?

Edited by BobDylan

Dude, why reccommend artists everyone has heard of? I never listen to rap and I know all those artists. In fact, I try to AVOID that music, but it's IMPOSSIBLE not to hear it at some point or another. Not trying to offend.

But, can I ask what you see in the mainstream rap? I've heard some decent "underground" stuff, but I just can't find the appeal in the mainstream stuff. Perhaps you can explain the appeal?

Oh, oh...and...what do the other rappers rap about? Wizards, swords and science fiction?

Mainstream to me = Pop music. ie. 50 cent, lil wayne, dipset, the other junk.

If you think Nas is a whack rapper, you dunno hip-hop. Nas is among the best hip-hop has ever seen. Illmatic is a top 10 CD of all time.

His raps vary from rapping about being a gun (I Gave You Power), he raps a story backwards (rewind) etc.

I recommended these artists because Pauly seemed to like Jay-z, and those are similar artists.

And how can you not like Mos def / Talib Kweli? Have you heard Blackstar?

And you heard of J-Live? Not many have...

You want some good underground s***, pick up people under the stairs, the procussions, nubajes, radix, phi-life cypher (UK rapper), Prince Paul, El Da Sensei, etc.

Dunno how you can complain about nas/mos def.

AS you said yourself, "what do you see in mainstream hiphop."

50 cent / lil wayne/ etc. are among the artists who cant rap about anything other then sex, guns, drugs, and how amazing they are.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 03:55 AM)

being that i like rick ross, clipse, nas, three 6 mafia, T.I., ghostface, all of wu etc. i can tell you the appeal is that it is fun for me to listen to. I also like underground rap like edan, mf doom (gettin big now), aesop rock, etc, and i can tell you i like them because of the dirtier beats.

oh and i like juelz santana.

Edited by bmags

The way I look at it is not bewteen mainstream/underground, its bewteen Hip-Hop and Hip-Pop. 2 different genres.

Rick ross, clipse, three 6 mafia, T.I., juelz = Hip-Pop. Less focus on the lyrics, more on the beat, and the hooks. Very appealing to the average fan / hardcore fan now and then.

Hip hop = Nas, Wu tang, Most underground artists.

You cant call the stuff rick ross does in the same category as Nas.