Southtown Article on outfield situation

Guest JimH

Guys, remember we live in Chicago, like New York and LA we should be a big market club, spending money for big time players and drawing fans. If Reinsdorf was losing money with this team, he wouldn't have held on to it for 20 plus years already. Open up the purse strings already and bring us a fricken winner Jerry. In regards to the reserve outfield, sorry Jim, have to agree with Israel, these are other teams rejects with the exception of Borchard, and I don't think his .160 average cuts it. (Be careful of Israel's 2 year old nephew, he is a badass.) :fthecubs

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, remember we live in Chicago, like New York and LA we should be a big market club, spending money for big time players and drawing fans. If Reinsdorf was losing money with this team, he wouldn't have held on to it for 20 plus years already. Open up the purse strings already and bring us a fricken winner Jerry. In regards to the reserve outfield, sorry Jim, have to agree with Israel, these are other teams rejects with the exception of Borchard, and I don't think his .160 average cuts it. (Be careful of Israel's 2 year old nephew, he is a badass.) :fthecubs

We should be a lot smarter about our spending, that's for sure. Too much money spent the wrong way - that's been the problem.

However, there is a level of naivety from some people if you think you can just go out and sign or acquire every player you want. They run the team like a business, if you were in their shoes you'd do the same thing. They should lose money, so people who don't support the team can come on the internet and b**** about it? I don't think so.

Despite being called a Reinsdorf apologist by one particularly uniformed poster, I and many others like me are anything but. This is a key offseason for them, they need to get a top pitcher preferably via FA. You are exactly right about the players they acquired last winter not getting people excited and I agree they should do more in the winter to acquire players. Had they gotten Garcia last winter, everyone (well, most everyone) would've been ecstatic.

Rather than wait until June/July to make their big acquisitions, they should do it before the season for two reasons. One, to generate interest. Two, and more importantly, the games in April count just as much as September's. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way (you know, the real life thing vs. internet wishing). But I think they need to go get guys in the offseason to generate ticket sales ... that is, from those fans who actually buy tickets and support the team.

Totally agree on Borchard, I don't think he'll cut it. They need a CF and move Rowand to RF, I've said that all along. They also need to balance it because they have Anderson waiting in the wings and by all accounts he can be a very good CF for 10-12 years. That is why I advocate getting a guy who's either on the last year of his contract or a guy who can shift over to play another position. I like Hairston of Baltimore, he fits at the top of the order where there's a glaring need. Just as importantly, he can be moved to 2B if the need arises.

As for the two year old nephew and his uncle ... yawn.

Congratulations Jim...this was the first intelligent posting you've made. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

:cheers

My great grandfather.. a very wise man, IMO.. always said..

"if you can't say something nice... keep your effing mouth shut.."

I don't know about anyone else.. but I think you both are acting like f***ing 2 year olds and you're making every thread you touch, s***. So f***ing cut it out would you both.  :stick

It is pretty pathetic...every thread in Pale Hose Talk you two manage to f*** up

Why don't one of you take the high road and shut up??????????????????

Both of you have nothing better to do than argue about nothing all day long?

Or maybe IM or PM one another do you honestly think any of care about the fact that you two dont like one another? :bang

I don't know about anyone else.. but I think you both are acting like f***ing 2 year olds and you're making every thread you touch, s***. So f***ing cut it out would you both.  :stick

He knows he can private message me any time he wants to.

Out of respect for you, Steff, and the other posters, I will refrain from adressing Jim until he proves that he is mature/intelligent enough to have a discussion on the issues.

I apologize to you all.

For all of you mods out there......

The latest JimH/Israel4ever fight has given me an idea. These two are not the only ones that do battle here on occasion (including me), so this is not meant to specifically point them out.

When a thread is overtaken with an argument, how hard would it be for a moderator or administrtor to grab all of the argumentative posts only and drop them into a new thread, in essence giving the arguing parties their own thread to say whatever the hell they want to, while allowing others to continue with the topic?

Does that make sense?

Haha, funny you should say that. It just did. I should also mention, that took way too freaking long. So both of ya cut it out. Thats the final warning for both of you.

I have respect for each of you, but I want you both to know you've both done wrong in this. Case closed, end your arguing and if you can't get along, don't respond to each others posts.

The posts have also been moved out of here.

Haha, funny you should say that.  It just did.  I should also mention, that took way too freaking long.  So both of ya cut it out.  Thats the final warning for both of you.

I have respect for each of you, but I want you both to know you've both done wrong in this.  Case closed, end your arguing and if you can't get along, don't respond to each others posts.

The posts have also been moved out of here.

Not a problem on my end, Jason.

He can PM me if he wants, which he won't ... and that's just fine.

For all of you mods out there......

The latest JimH/Israel4ever fight has given me an idea.  These two are not the only ones that do battle here on occasion (including me), so this is not meant to specifically point them out.

When a thread is overtaken with an argument, how hard would it be for a moderator or administrtor to grab all of the argumentative posts only and drop them into a new thread, in essence giving the arguing parties their own thread to say whatever the hell they want to, while allowing others to continue with the topic? 

Does that make sense?

Am I the only one bothered by this a little bit? This fight went too far, no doubt, but as a general principle it seems difficult to take out a few posts and leave the thread of the argument intact. Of course, pure personal attacks could be removed (and there were some of those here), but there was often a nugget of argument in the ocean of bile.

Now I certainly understand why Rex proposed this, and I'm not totally unsympathetic to the idea. I just worry about it becoming a general practice.

So what does everyone think the time table on Escobar will be?

Do you think he'll be in the Spring Training mix or that he will end up just coming in for 06'?

He's a back-up plan... He hasn't been healthy for enough time in his career to advance properly... He'll be up at the ASB if he performs well at Charlotte, and there's a need. I can't see the sox counting on him at any point in the near future. He still needs development.