Films

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
I usually go to IMDB for movie reviews. Its pretty good, it has plot outlines, reviews and even message boards for each movie and actor.

My only problem with IMDB is sometimes the spoiler quotient is really high.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to watching 'Running Scared'. I'm not an action film fan, but that shootout scene in the beginning was kick ass. But the film blew it's load to soon and it slowly slipped into suckage mode. The few really good scenes somehow carry the entire picture, still enjoyed it overall.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 3, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
Finally got around to watching 'Running Scared'. I'm not an action film fan, but that shootout scene in the beginning was kick ass. But the film blew it's load to soon and it slowly slipped into suckage mode. The few really good scenes somehow carry the entire picture, still enjoyed it overall.

I thought that movie was good. I liked the ice rink ending. Just the look of it was cool with the black light.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
I usually go to IMDB for movie reviews. Its pretty good, it has plot outlines, reviews and even message boards for each movie and actor.

I do the same. I can't find a more reliable critic than IMDB. The user ratings are usually extremely accurate to the film. Not many movies are rated above 9 (I believe only 2 movies are).

According to the voters at IMDB (which can be absolutely ANYONE), these are the top 10 movies of all time:

1. The Godfather

2. The Shawshank Redemption

3. The Godfather: Part II

4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

5. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

6. Casablanca

7. Schindler's List

8. Pulp Fiction

9. Seven Samurai

10. Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back

Obviously this list is subjective, but what I like about it is that it doesn't take into account the "importance" of these films. For instance, a lot of critics and top 10 lists rate Citizen Kane as the #1 movie of all time. For the importance and influences it made for film, it most certainly is. But from an entertainment standpoint, the movie is merely average. It's dry, it's slow and the story is just plainly boring. Now, what did The Godfather do for film? Hardly anything but bring the mob into mainstream reality. But from an entertainment standpoint, it's absolutely fantastic. It has memorable characters (the entire Corleone family, c'mon), a memorable story, and one of the greatest endings a story can have.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 3, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
I do the same. I can't find a more reliable critic than IMDB. The user ratings are usually extremely accurate to the film. Not many movies are rated above 9 (I believe only 2 movies are).

According to the voters at IMDB (which can be absolutely ANYONE), these are the top 10 movies of all time:

1. The Godfather

2. The Shawshank Redemtion

3. The Godfather: Part II

4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

5. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

6. Casablanca

7. Schindler's List

8. Pulp Fiction

9. Seven Samurai

10. Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back

I believe those incharge at IMDB make sure certain movies are given just due. Here's one circumstanial point -- look at how many votes each movie has received. Am I to believe The Shawshank Redemption has received 230,000 when the next closest is Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings with 216,000? I honestly believe SR is still quite overlooked, even with all the critical praise it has received. Not many casual moviegoers have seen it, or know much about it. Where have all these fans come from?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 3, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
I believe those incharge at IMDB make sure certain movies are given just due. Here's one circumstanial point -- look at how many votes each movie has received. Am I to believe The Shawshank Redemption has received 230,000 when the next closest is Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings with 216,000? I honestly believe SR is still quite overlooked, even with all the critical praise it has received. Not many casual moviegoers have seen it, or know much about it. Where have all these fans come from?

Yah not every vote counts towards the top250 listing, and the actual formula for the vote average is secret to prevent tampering. You'll also notice the average for some movies is different on the 250 list than it's page shows.

Seen Smokin Aces which was entertaining but i havent a clue why it would get 3 1/2 stars.One thing i got of it though is Common might have a future in the whole acting career,although he is only in it briefly you dont watch him thinking hes a rapper trying to be an actor.Andre Benjamin and Common my favorite ractors.

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 02:40 AM)
Seen Smokin Aces which was entertaining but i havent a clue why it would get 3 1/2 stars.One thing i got of it though is Common might have a future in the whole acting career,although he is only in it briefly you dont watch him thinking hes a rapper trying to be an actor.Andre Benjamin and Common my favorite ractors.

I actually thought Common was pretty decent as well, the movie might have sucked by he was pretty good.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 03:19 AM)
Not a big rap guy by any means, but isn't Common a Chicago boy?

Yes, I believe he and Kanye West just recorded a Bears fight song or something, it was on Deadspin but I didn't actually read it.

Saw two foreign films yesterday: Pan's Labyrinth and L'auberge espagnole (the latter we rented)

Labyrinth was very entertaining. The story was very simple and predictable, but the visual effects were stunning and the acting was good. The story, albeit simple and predictable (although I think both were intential, as the film begins and ends with nearly the same shot) was entertaining. I think the real joy of the movie is how WELL the story is told. A simple story told well, as in this movie, is about a million times better than a complex story told poorly.

There is some violence and gore in the film--I think a lot of people in the theatre (including a few that I went with) didn't read any reviews and had no idea what the movie was about. There was a lot of audible discomfort during a few scenes. So, if you're going to see this with some quesy people, warn them.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot and so did the people I went with. I would definitely recommend it.

L'auberge espagnole is a good foreign film about a group of students from all over Europe (France, Spain, England, Denmark, Germany and Belgium) who live together in a Barcelona. The movie is mostly in French, but also has a healthy dose of Spanish and English (with smatterings of Catalan). I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to anyone who has spent a semester abroad. Very entertaining and funny.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 3, 2007 -> 10:46 PM)
I thought that movie was good. I liked the ice rink ending. Just the look of it was cool with the black light.

Yeah, I like the way it was shot, but the guy took 3 slap shots to the face, was lying in a pool of his own blood, yet kept talking coherently and minutes later was driving his car home.

I enjoyed the kidnapping side twist as it's own story, but I'm not really sure how it fit into the story.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Feb 4, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
Saw two foreign films yesterday: Pan's Labyrinth and L'auberge espagnole (the latter we rented)

Labyrinth was very entertaining. The story was very simple and predictable, but the visual effects were stunning and the acting was good. The story, albeit simple and predictable (although I think both were intential, as the film begins and ends with nearly the same shot) was entertaining. I think the real joy of the movie is how WELL the story is told. A simple story told well, as in this movie, is about a million times better than a complex story told poorly.

There is some violence and gore in the film--I think a lot of people in the theatre (including a few that I went with) didn't read any reviews and had no idea what the movie was about. There was a lot of audible discomfort during a few scenes. So, if you're going to see this with some quesy people, warn them.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot and so did the people I went with. I would definitely recommend it.

L'auberge espagnole is a good foreign film about a group of students from all over Europe (France, Spain, England, Denmark, Germany and Belgium) who live together in a Barcelona. The movie is mostly in French, but also has a healthy dose of Spanish and English (with smatterings of Catalan). I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to anyone who has spent a semester abroad. Very entertaining and funny.

"....the visual effects were stunning". I agree with that.

I wish the film would have cut out the violent scenes and gone with a G rating.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

Just saw pan's labyrinth last night. I completely disagree with lmb's assessment. The simple fact of making rating a genre repulses me in the first place. I realize studios go out to make pg13 horror movies for profit, but this was a real masterpiece by a director who finally put all three aspects together. The storytelling was magnificent, he interwove the two stories wonderfully, perhaps the best editing i've seen in years. He filmed it in such a way that you were always conscious of the mese en scene, when the little girl was in the labyrinth she seemed so small in the frame, seeing the world as large and wonderous. And the violence was real. It was real and terrifying and contradidcts what we felt as children, of the epitomy of fear being chased by a monster, but in reality, we can be much more terrifying. So many gorgeous shots, the ending scene of her at the feet of her palace was great. And the monster with eyes in his hands was so cool, M. Night Shamylanlmadingdong should take notice, Del Toro has mastered it much better than him. Graphically, Del Toro is the best in the business, his creatures are incredible. Del Toro really took you in Ophelia's world, everyone in the theatre was relieved when the *****SPPOOOOOOIIIIIILLLLLLEEEEERRRRRRR*****fawn came back to give her a second chance. This asks the audience to suspend disbelief, we all know this is in her head, so why wouldn't she create that? BUt I was so enthralled by the story, this poor girl had lost her dear mother, and was using this story to keep her optimistic. It took me back to being a child. Add that to the sequence of lines that are my favorite i've seen in a long time "Tell my son the time when I d..." "No" "He won't even know your name" BANG. Aesthetically gorgeous. Fantastic Storytelling. Wonderful Acting. first time i've felt this strongly about a movie in a long time. Why is it that foreign child actors always seem like much better actors than american. I would trade ophelia for that war of the worlds girl in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
Just saw pan's labyrinth last night. I completely disagree with lmb's assessment. The simple fact of making rating a genre repulses me in the first place. I realize studios go out to make pg13 horror movies for profit, but this was a real masterpiece by a director who finally put all three aspects together. The storytelling was magnificent, he interwove the two stories wonderfully, perhaps the best editing i've seen in years. He filmed it in such a way that you were always conscious of the mese en scene, when the little girl was in the labyrinth she seemed so small in the frame, seeing the world as large and wonderous. And the violence was real. It was real and terrifying and contradidcts what we felt as children, of the epitomy of fear being chased by a monster, but in reality, we can be much more terrifying. So many gorgeous shots, the ending scene of her at the feet of her palace was great. And the monster with eyes in his hands was so cool, M. Night Shamylanlmadingdong should take notice, Del Toro has mastered it much better than him. Graphically, Del Toro is the best in the business, his creatures are incredible. Del Toro really took you in Ophelia's world, everyone in the theatre was relieved when the *****SPPOOOOOOIIIIIILLLLLLEEEEERRRRRRR*****fawn came back to give her a second chance. This asks the audience to suspend disbelief, we all know this is in her head, so why wouldn't she create that? BUt I was so enthralled by the story, this poor girl had lost her dear mother, and was using this story to keep her optimistic. It took me back to being a child. Add that to the sequence of lines that are my favorite i've seen in a long time "Tell my son the time when I d..." "No" "He won't even know your name" BANG. Aesthetically gorgeous. Fantastic Storytelling. Wonderful Acting. first time i've felt this strongly about a movie in a long time. Why is it that foreign child actors always seem like much better actors than american. I would trade ophelia for that war of the worlds girl in a heartbeat.

SPOILER:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Visually the film is beautiful. The reality of it is that films DO receive ratings and based on those ratings, I expect certain things from them. My issue is with the rating more than the film itself. I thought the violent scenes and the language were not an important enough part of the film. Facist Spain was a horrible, violent place, ok we get it, why did we NEED to see a guy being tortured, or a guy sewing up his face? I was FAR more interested in the world in the labyrinth. Give your audience some credit. Edit them out, slapped a G rating on the what is essentially a kid's movie and call it a day.

I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

Rented 'The King' with William Hurt and Gael Garcia Bernal.

Garcia, just out of the navy, shows up looking for his Dad, Wiiliam Hurt. Hurt and Garcia's mother had a fling many years earlier and Hurt never knew about Garcia. Problem is, Hurt is a preacher with a family and wants no part of Garcia.....and it get really strange and kinda creepy from there. Ultimately it's about forgiveness and religion. Worth the rental price for sure.

With a 'History of Violence' and now this, Hurt seems to be making a comeback. As Garcia becomes more comfortable with the language and if he ever quits making indie films, he will be a star.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
SPOILER:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Visually the film is beautiful. The reality of it is that films DO receive ratings and based on those ratings, I expect certain things from them. My issue is with the rating more than the film itself. I thought the violent scenes and the language were not an important enough part of the film. Facist Spain was a horrible, violent place, ok we get it, why did we NEED to see a guy being tortured, or a guy sewing up his face? I was FAR more interested in the world in the labyrinth. Give your audience some credit. Edit them out, slapped a G rating on the what is essentially a kid's movie and call it a day.

I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

SPOILERS!!!!!

Because it wasn't a kids movie. First, the director was drawing obvious parallels to today's world. Second, since this was an adult fantasy tale, the director’s job was to make the ADULTS fearful of the villain. Kids have no business watching this movie regardless of whether there is or isn’t violence in it. They wouldn’t even begin to understand what’s going on. And the director wasn’t working for that angle. The little kid was just a puppet for what he was really trying tell in his story. The torture scenes, when he smashes that innocent man in the face with a bottle, when his face is cut open, it was all absolutely necessary. The scenes drew out and created more fear for the adult audience to have and build from. Cut those scenes out and the dictator is nothing but a stereotype (something a kid would only understand). The lines, the dialogue, “When I get to this tool, I will believe anything you tell me,” they all add an immense amount of shading and depth to the Captain. They provide grounds for one of the final lines, and as far as the movies I’ve seen, one of the most memorable sequences in film history… “Tell my son what time I died. Tell him--” “NO. He will not even know your name.” And then a bullet goes through his cheek. If the director wanted to make this movie for children, I absolutely agree that the violence and blood was not necessary (I also don't think kids would have understood it either way). But since it was an adult fantasy, every bit of blood was needed.

Think about it...what would any kid gain from this movie if they happened to see an edited, clean version of it? It didn't take on very many childlike themes. It wasn't your Harry Potter type story where we're talking about simple morals, good versus evil. It wasn't simple and plainly spelled out like Little Red Riding Hood. This movie took on some adult themes. Ain't no kids I know would have had a CLUE what to learn from Pan's Labyrinth.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
SPOILERS!!!!!

Because it wasn't a kids movie. First, the director was drawing obvious parallels to today's world. Second, since this was an adult fantasy tale, the director’s job was to make the ADULTS fearful of the villain. Kids have no business watching this movie regardless of whether there is or isn’t violence in it. They wouldn’t even begin to understand what’s going on. And the director wasn’t working for that angle. The little kid was just a puppet for what he was really trying tell in his story. The torture scenes, when he smashes that innocent man in the face with a bottle, when his face is cut open, it was all absolutely necessary. The scenes drew out and created more fear for the adult audience to have and build from. Cut those scenes out and the dictator is nothing but a stereotype (something a kid would only understand). The lines, the dialogue, “When I get to this tool, I will believe anything you tell me,” they all add an immense amount of shading and depth to the Captain. They provide grounds for one of the final lines, and as far as the movies I’ve seen, one of the most memorable sequences in film history… “Tell my son what time I died. Tell him--” “NO. He will not even know your name.” And then a bullet goes through his cheek. If the director wanted to make this movie for children, I absolutely agree that the violence and blood was not necessary (I also don't think kids would have understood it either way). But since it was an adult fantasy, every bit of blood was needed.

Think about it...what would any kid gain from this movie if they happened to see an edited, clean version of it? It didn't take on very many childlike themes. It wasn't your Harry Potter type story where we're talking about simple morals, good versus evil. It wasn't simple and plainly spelled out like Little Red Riding Hood. This movie took on some adult themes. Ain't no kids I know would have had a CLUE what to learn from Pan's Labyrinth.

SPPPPOOOOIILLLERRRS

thank you for elaborating BD, you hit on plot points i didn't. I was mainly so aware of Del Torro's visual mastery. Another thing to showing all that violence is just how good he is at ... not special effects but yeah special effects. The bullet wound, with the blood slowly dripping out the cheek. The sewing of the cheek and the alcohol slowly dripping out. the parallel of not just purely abiding by authority. God, awesome film.

Saw III - Eeeewwwwww...pigs.

I've never seen a film embrace being a sequel so much, close a trilogy so forcefully, and yet somehow leave it open for somebody else to walk in to take over and start a new series with it. I've also never seen a film say "hey, if you are here, you've seen the others so the heck with giving away past secrets, and we know you can handle it, so here is some real icky stuff" before. I thought the first was the best, and then 2 and 3 kind of tied. This one tried to do way too much with the twists at the end. Heck, what were there, 4 of them? Plus, the twist with Amanda doesn't really work.

But still icky.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)
SPPPPOOOOIILLLERRRS

thank you for elaborating BD, you hit on plot points i didn't. I was mainly so aware of Del Torro's visual mastery. Another thing to showing all that violence is just how good he is at ... not special effects but yeah special effects. The bullet wound, with the blood slowly dripping out the cheek. The sewing of the cheek and the alcohol slowly dripping out. the parallel of not just purely abiding by authority. God, awesome film.

SPOILERS!!!!

It's definitely a movie I'm going to purchase. Also, when he was shot at the end, his right eye shoots up to the sky and his left eye remains stationary. I loved that. The only part of the movie that has me baffled is why Mercedes told Ofelia to be weary of fawns. The fawn wasn't out to get her. I guess he did essentially try to "trick" her at the end, but I just felt that Del Torro's foreshadowing was a bit too strong for the circumstances.

Edited by BobDylan

Finally saw The Departed. My initial thoughts going in were that it would be just a touch better than Casino. Not only was it a touch better, it was enormously better. Looking at the Best Picture nominee's, and seeing that Little Miss Sunshine got a nod, I don't see how Scorsese doesn't win the well overdue award this year. Granted, I've yet to see Letters From Iwo Jima, but I don't see how it can be better. The Departed looked beautiful, had an all-star cast that rose to the challenge and delivered (and how about Mark Whalberg, damn he was funny!) and the movie kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. All in all, this might be his best movie since Raging Bull. It would be tough to say that it was better than Goodfella's, but I think I could make a case.