Rotation Possibility

TheKillerB's

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ May 21, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
He got Danny Haren who is 1-5 with a 5.32 ERA, Joe Blanton who is 0-4 with a 5.08 ERA, Kiko Calero is 2-0 with a 8.68 ERA, and Kirk Saarloos who is 1-2 with a 4.79 ERA.  Beane's master plan is failing right now.

You're telling me you wouldn't want Joe Blanton as a part of this organization right now? Guess you're a Royce Ring fan. :lol:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 20, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
You're telling me you wouldn't want Joe Blanton as a part of this organization right now? Guess you're a Royce Ring fan.  :lol:

I'm not saying that, I just think Billy Beane is a fool for trading Hudson and Mulder for a group of unproven rookies.

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ May 21, 2005 -> 05:52 AM)
I'm not saying that, I just think Billy Beane is a fool for trading Hudson and Mulder for a group of unproven rookies.

Well he was going to lose Hudson next year anyways.... The only move that really doesnt make sense is, why trade for a C with a huge contract if your going to get rid of 2 aces and basicly throw away the season before it started. Getting rid of Mulder and Hudson would of made a lot more sense if they didnt trade for Kendall.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 20, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
are you saying it is the Continuing Decline and fall of Barry Zito

I'm saying Zito isn't at all the pitcher he was when he won the Cy Young. Zito's name is what attracts people to him. Not his performance, anymore...

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ May 21, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)

Well if he had an extra $10 million in payroll to play around with, that probably would have never happened. Beane wanted his club to be able to contend for a good period of time (not including this year), or he could have put all his eggs into the one basket and gone for the whole thing this season.

I will say this though, if he could do the Tim Hudson trade again, he probably would have. Drew Meyer has been a total bust so far, and has suddenly lost about 5 MPH on his fastball, making him very hittable in AAA.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 20, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
Well he was going to lose Hudson next year anyways....

So?

No one can convince Oakland would have faired worse if Hudson/Mulder were still pitching for Team Beane.

Why not hold onto Hudson/Mulder, and if the team falters midseason trade for necessary pieces?

But of course, most supported this trade because he is Billy Beane. Apparently, trades involving predominamtly unproven players exceeds the need of assembling a contending club with proven winners. All this, of course, is configured before the team took the field.GENIUS! And it's showing this season!

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 21, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
So?

No one can convince Oakland would have faired worse if Hudson/Mulder were still pitching for Team Beane.

Why not hold onto Hudson/Mulder, and if the team falters midseason trade for necessary pieces?

But of course, most supported this trade because he is Billy Beane. Apparently, trades involving predominamtly unproven players exceeds the need of assembling a contending club with proven winners. All this, of course, is configured before the team took the field.GENIUS! And it's showing this season!

They had no intention of resigning either hudson or mulder. Trading them now rather than mid season or never trading them and just letting them walk seems like a foolish move for any orginization especially the a's. They got some very good prospects in return whether it looks like that or not at this point.

If Beane wants to get rid of Zito he'll find some sucker club to give up a few talented, near major league ready prospects. After all he's still young, a left hander and a Cy Young winner. But it wont be the Sox. We're just not into high priced slumping talent but I'll add if the price was right (No BMAC, Sweeney, Anderson, Fields) and we can dump a salary (Konerko?) he'd be worth a gamble.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 21, 2005 -> 06:08 AM)
So?

Sure you can hold on to them till mid-season and than trade them... but then what happens if they get injured or if they start struggling like Zito....Personally I thought they could of got out more from the trades... like Edwin Jackson from the dodgers but trading them at the begining of the season was the right idea if your going to trade them.

I agree with the majority here. I'll pass on Zito. I would have gladly taken either of the other two guys, but not Zito. Why, all of sudden, are we constantly seeing trade proposals that involve Mr. Moneyball?