Uribe's "foul call"

Milkman delivers

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub23.html

Perhaps the mojo shifted from the White Sox to the Cubs on Sunday afternoon at Wrigley Field when shortstop Juan Uribe told Derrek Lee a lie in the first inning. Uribe told Lee to stop running as the big Cubs first baseman roared into second on Jeromy Burnitz's double down the right-field line because the ball was foul.

The Cubs didn't have to be the only ones to say Uribe was wrong when Lee held up, hurried to third when he saw his mistake and was kept from trying to score by Uribe's deception.

''You don't do that,'' Sox first baseman Paul Konerko said. ''If it's done intentionally, that's not right. I was on the ground, digging rocks out of my mouth. But you don't do that.''

Konerko is the leader of this team, we all know that. Should he have said this in the media or in private? The thing about rocks kind of sounds like he's saying that he is trying, but Uribe isn't and is just playing dirty. What does everyone else think about this?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

The thing about rocks kind of sounds like he's saying that he is trying, but Uribe isn't and is just playing dirty.  What does everyone else think about this?

I think you're reading into it too much, Konerko dove for that ball and got a face full of dirt. That's probably all he meant.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Paul calling out a teammate in the public..  not surprised at all.

Yeah really...Paulie should not have said anything about this...good thing is, Juan probably can't read english, so he'll never know. :bang

QUOTE(Steff @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Paul calling out a teammate in the public..  not surprised at all.

Did it to Franklin too. Dusty's complaining of the same thing in the Mariotti article today (the Uribe play). I consider it to be a part of baseball. Lee shouldn't be depending on Uribe to say if it's fair or foul anyways. There was 2 outs. You should be running on anything.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
Has anyone seen a quote from Uribe on this?  My feeling is that he actually thought it was foul.  Anyway what is wrong with doing what he did????

Nothing. This kind of thing happens all the time in baseball. I'm mad that Konerko opened his mouth.

He probably realizes he isn't getting re-signed after this year. He'll want too much money and we won't give a one-dimensional player that much.

2 Outs--you don't stop running and you locate your third-base coach. That was absolutely awful baseball by Derek Lee. Since little league, you are taught to keep on running with 2 outs and watch your base coaches. I have absolutely nothing wrong with Uribe doing that and I actually applaude him as he saved us one run. If Lee wasn't faked out of his jock, he would have scored easy.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Ouch!

I like Konerko and everything, but it's true. He can hit homers and that's about it. He's the slowest runner I've seen in my life, he doesn't hit for average really, and he's good, at best, in the field. He's already making $8 million, he's clearly going to want more. This team can't afford to waste about 1/7 or more of its payroll on him. I think Pierzynski is the team leader of the future.

Paulie is consistent on this stuff. He didn't like the Torii Hunter play last season and said so even though his manager complimented Hunter.

I disagree with Paulie but these are his views on how the game is played. And, as Steff suggested, it's not unusual for Paul to call out a teammate in public. He did it to Frank a couple years ago too.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)

Konerko is the leader of this team, we all know that.  Should he have said this in the media or in private?  The thing about rocks kind of sounds like he's saying that he is trying, but Uribe isn't and is just playing dirty.  What does everyone else think about this?

Nah, the rocks comment just means he (Konerko) didn't see or hear what Uribe said to Lee. Still not sure why Pauly is commenting on it at all though.

I thought what Juan did was both quite funny, and very important. If the Cubs strike in the first, who knows how the rest of BMAC's day goes. What Juan did was very Ozzie-like (both as a player and coach), so before Paulie goes to the press with that type of quote, maybe he should stop off at Ozzie's office first. Oh well, no big deal either way, Paulie should've kept his mouth shut, and obviously Ozzie doesn't give a f*** how the media spins anything.

I also think this is funny, "Uribe told Derrek Lee a lie." what is this Sunday School? and then, "as the big Cubs first baseman roared into second," LOL, how motherf***ing heroic. :lolhitting

And to anyone who thinks the "mojo" shifted because of yesterday...fine, think that all you want. :lolhitting

My take on this is that it is Derrick Lee's fault, with 2 outs he should be running on anything hit, and waiting for an ump to tell him it was foul, he should of picked up his 3rd base coach. What Paulie did, I feel was wrong, if he had something to say, he should of said it in the clubhouse, whose team is he on anyway?

I have a feeling that if Perez did this to Konerko ( just reversing the position players for the sake of argument ), a lot of people here might have a slightly different opinion about the sportsmanship of that play. Things seem less offensive when your team benefits from it, that's just the nature of the way things are.

I don't have a huge problem with what Uribe did, but it is kind of a cheap trick.

Lee should have been looking to an ump or a coach, but I've seen players slow someone down on a foul ball as kind of a courtesy before, so I think it was a little cheap.

I think the same thing about Paul speaking on the record about it - not a huge deal, but not really a good thing to go on the record with against a teammate.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
I have a feeling that if Perez did this to Konerko ( just reversing the position players for the sake of argument ), a lot of people here might have a slightly different opinion about the sportsmanship of that play. Things seem less offensive when your team benefits from it, that's just the nature of the way things are.

I don't have a huge problem with what Uribe did, but it is kind of a cheap trick.

Lee should have been looking to an ump or a coach, but I've seen players slow someone down on a foul ball as kind of a courtesy before, so I think it was a little cheap.

I think the same thing about Paul speaking on the record about it - not a huge deal, but not really a good thing to go on the record with against a teammate.

I'd be saying that our player made a stupid mistake on the bases.

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Oh well, no big deal either way, Paulie should've kept his mouth shut, and obviously Ozzie doesn't give a f*** how the media spins anything.

Couldn't this hurt the team chemistry? The team leader calls out another member for helping the team with a trick that is used a lot in baseball. The last thing they need is to hurt the chemistry. IMO, Pauly was way off in his statement.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
Couldn't this hurt the team chemistry?  The team leader calls out another member for helping the team with a trick that is used a lot in baseball.  The last thing they need is to hurt the chemistry.  IMO, Pauly was way off in his statement.

Slight chance, hopefully Uribe just laughs the whole thing off.

Honestly, I don't know how Uribe kept a straight face on the fildl after the play. I woulda been laughing my ass off at Lee. How did the story get to the media anyway?

Edited by LosMediasBlancas