A's at White Sox 7/9 Gameday Thread

Buehrle looks to get even with A's

07/09/2005 12:08 AM ET

By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

The White Sox may have the best record in the Major Leagues, but if there is one team that gives them trouble, it's the Oakland Athletics.

With the loss on Friday night at home, Chicago dropped to 2-5 against the Athletics this season. The trend of difficult outings against the Athletics is not just for the 2005 season, though. The White Sox have gone 11-32 against Oakland since 2001, with a 7-12 record at home.

Even though the team has had its share of bad games against Oakland, manager Ozzie Guillen is quick to dispel any ideas of his team being jinxed against the Bay Area bashers.

"I don't believe in that," Guillen said of the jinx. "In the past, the reason they beat us was their Big Three [Mark Mulder, Barry Zito, and Tim Hudson] and when we go to Oakland it is always tough to win. They have been pitching better and know how to play the game."

Oakland may have some good pitchers, but the White Sox are sending their best to the mound for the Saturday's matchup. Mark Buehrle will make his 18th start of the season and brings with him an eight-game home winning streak. Buehrle may be looking for a little revenge as his last loss, his first since April 10, came in Oakland when he gave up seven runs, four earned, over 6 1/3 innings.

If Buehrle is to extend his winning streak he will have to overcome the only remaining member of Oakland's Big Three. Zito got off to a rough start this season but has won each of his last two starts, the first time he has won consecutive decisions all year.

Pitching matchup:

OAK: LHP Barry Zito

• 5-8, 4.07 ERA in 2005

• 1-1, 3.68 ERA vs. CWS in 2005

CWS: LHP Mark Buehrle

• 10-2, 2.58 ERA in 2005

• 0-1, 8.03 vs. OAK in 2005

Player to watch

Jermaine Dye has had his share of success against his former teammate. Dye is 3-for-8 with a home run and a walk against Zito.

Quotable

"They made you work for outs, I tell you that. They were fouling a lot of pitches off and made me work for my outs. They snuck a few through there and the ball rolled their way tonight." -- Jon Garland, on Oakland getting its first win against him this season on Friday

Not that I care too much, but if Buehrle wins this game, he may be looking at the startind nod in Detroit.

Let's just get the win; I don't care how.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Not that I care too much, but if Buehrle wins this game, he may be looking at the startind nod in Detroit.

Let's just get the win; I don't care how.

Saturday start, Monday ASG??? Doubt it. With Halladay hurt and MB starting today, it is gonna be Garland.

:gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox3:

Edited by SoxFan1

Man, do I hate these A's. They've been a been in the A'ss for the Sox for years now. Sox need to show them why they have the best record in baseball. And Ozzie, please no second-string lineup tonight.

Whoever starts the ASG will only throw the maximum two innings, so it's no big deal whether it MB or JG.

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosoxretro: :gosox4: :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosoxretro:

A.J. Gets the day off because the Widge single handedly beat Zito earlier this year.

Mark...my man...it's your turn. LET'S GET THESE BASTARDS. It's time to stop this dicking around against the A's and destroy them.

Mark...you are the man. Bring it!

:bringit

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
A.J. Gets the day off because the Widge single handedly beat Zito earlier this year.

Mark...my man...it's your turn.  LET'S GET THESE BASTARDS.  It's time to stop this dicking around against the A's and destroy them.

Mark...you are the man.  Bring it!

:bringit

Look what I've got...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
So just out of curiosity...do people from this page do the same sort of junk at Twins and Cubs web pages...go and post random things to try to piss people off?

I hope we don't.

theres something fishy about water girl :unsure: