Rumor: Sox "hot" after Wagner

AWhiteSoxinNJ

Found this on a Phillies fan message board. Its from the Daily News Live on Comcast Sportsnet in Philly. (Daily News Live is the Chicago Tribune Live verison in Philly). The Phillies analysist John Marzano said the following:

Marzano has an incredible source in the White Sox Organization that told him that White Sox have contacted Ed Wade and told him that they are willing to do anything possible to obtain Wagner. They would give-up multiple prospects or aquire someone the Phillies wanted through a 3rd party. Ed Wade told them that they are in the pennant race and would not be taking offers for Wagner.

Here is the thread with it from the Philles message board:

http://www.philaphans.com/forums/showthrea...&threadid=26883

Another thread from the same message board states the following:

The Phillies have supposedly told a bunch of teams that they're keeping Wags because they believe they are still in contention.

They certainly told the White Sox.

"According to a source in the Sox organization, the Phillies, who still believe they will make a playoff push, are standing firm on their decision to keep Wagner.

The source also said board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf had given permission to pick up the remainder of Wagner's $9 million salary for the 2005 season. However, none of that mattered to the Phillies."

http://www.philaphans.com/forums/showthrea...&threadid=26843

Lets hope the Phillies keep losing this week...

Sox basically say we'll give you whatever we can do get Wagner, and they still say no?

Ed Wade is dumber than I thought.

He has to realize that his current team is garbage, or at the very least, .500, and has no chance of winning the division. He should look to get an upgrade offensively, probably 3B to get Bell's .653 OPS out of the lineup, and he should really find a taker for Vicente Padilla. The Phils rotation right now I believe is Myers-Lieber-Lidle-Tejada-Padilla...which, after Myers, is pretty bad.

If I am Philly, I tell Williams that if he can get Burnett, that a package of Burnett and Crede will work if he agrees to take on some extra money someway, shape, or form.

I would honestly not be surprised to see a package of like Marte, McCarthy, and perhaps Munoz/Diaz/Vizcaino for Burnett and Lowell, with the Sox then sending Burnett and Crede to Philly for perhaps Wagner and either Padilla, just to get rid of him, plain cash, or both. Lowell is then slipped into the lineup, Padilla(replacing Vizcaino, though becoming a swingman) is put into the pen along with Wagner(replacing Marte as the second token lefty in the pen) is put into the closer role, filling in very nicely.

Florida gets Lowell's .653(though rising) OPS out of the lineup with Conine going to LF, and Miggy going to 3B, and getting a stud LH reliever while also receiving a good SP for the future who is fairly close to the majors. Philly receives a SP boost in Burnett, and an offensive and probably defensive upgrade in Crede too.

What I could also see is this deal being contingent upon Philly being able to dump Bell elsewhere...perhaps to the Sox, perhaps elsewhere.

The Sox could also potentially keep McCarthy, making it a true 3-team trade, with Florida receiving Padilla and Marte, the Sox receiving Lowell and Wagner, and the Phillies receiving Burnett and Crede.

I could also see, in the above scenario, the Sox taking on David Bell too.

That all makes way too much sense for the Sox, and possibly not enough for the other two...but dammit I tried.

And here I was determined to not make a long winded, complete speculation post all year...and then I pull off this doozy. Woo-hoo, drinks on me.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:53 AM)
Sox basically say we'll give you whatever we can do get Wagner, and they still say no?

He has to realize that his current team is garbage, or at the very least, .500, and has no chance of winning the division.  He should look to get an upgrade offensively, probably 3B to get Bell's .653 OPS out of the lineup, and he should really find a taker for Vicente Padilla.  The Phils rotation right now I believe is Myers-Lieber-Lidle-Tejada-Padilla...which, after Myers, is pretty bad. 

If I am Philly, I tell Williams that if he can get Burnett, that a package of Burnett and Crede will work if he agrees to take on some extra money someway, shape, or form.

I would honestly not be surprised to see a package of like Marte, McCarthy, and perhaps Munoz/Diaz/Vizcaino for Burnett and Lowell, with the Sox then sending Burnett and Crede to Philly for perhaps Wagner and either Padilla, just to get rid of him, plain cash, or both.  Lowell is then slipped into the lineup, Padilla(replacing Vizcaino, though becoming a swingman) is put into the pen along with Wagner(replacing Marte as the second token lefty in the pen) is put into the closer role, filling in very nicely.

Florida gets Lowell's .653(though rising) OPS out of the lineup with Conine going to LF, and Miggy going to 3B, and getting a stud LH reliever while also receiving a good  SP for the future who is fairly close to the majors.  Philly receives a SP boost in Burnett, and an offensive and probably defensive upgrade in Crede too. 

What I could also see is this deal being contingent upon Philly being able to dump Bell elsewhere...perhaps to the Sox, perhaps elsewhere.

The Sox could also potentially keep McCarthy, making it a true 3-team trade, with Florida receiving Padilla and Marte, the Sox receiving Lowell and Wagner, and the Phillies receiving Burnett and Crede.

That all makes way too much sense for the Sox, and possibly not enough for the other two...but dammit I tried. 

And here I was determined to not make a long winded, complete speculation post all year...and then I pull off this doozy.  Woo-hoo, drinks on me.

I'll take a Lemon Iced-Tea please....

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)

He has to realize that his current team is garbage, or at the very least, .500, and has no chance of winning the division.  He should look to get an upgrade offensively, probably 3B to get Bell's .653 OPS out of the lineup, and he should really find a taker for Vicente Padilla.  The Phils rotation right now I believe is Myers-Lieber-Lidle-Tejada-Padilla...which, after Myers, is pretty bad. 

I would honestly not be surprised to see a package of like Marte, McCarthy, and perhaps Munoz/Diaz/Vizcaino for Burnett and Lowell, with the Sox then sending Burnett and Crede to Philly for perhaps Wagner and either Padilla, just to get rid of him, plain cash, or both.  Lowell is then slipped into the lineup, Padilla(replacing Vizcaino, though becoming a swingman) is put into the pen along with Wagner(replacing Marte as the second token lefty in the pen) is put into the closer role, filling in very nicely.

Florida gets Lowell's .653(though rising) OPS out of the lineup with Conine going to LF, and Miggy going to 3B, and getting a stud LH reliever while also receiving a good  SP for the future who is fairly close to the majors.  Philly receives a SP boost in Burnett, and an offensive and probably defensive upgrade in Crede too. 

And here I was determined to not make a long winded, complete speculation post all year...and then I pull off this doozy.  Woo-hoo, drinks on me.

Post of the year :cheers

An update on Wagner from today's boston Herald:

"It's no secret the Red Sox need an upgrade and they have Philadelphia's Billy Wagner near or at the top of their wish list.

The problem is that the Phillies have not wanted to negotiate, primarily because they still believe, somewhat justifiably, they have a shot at the NL wild card. But with Wagner a free agent next year, and Ugueth Urbina already on the Phillies roster, the Red Sox (among other teams) still believe they have a shot at shaking the hard-throwing left-hander loose.

Third baseman Kevin Youkilis, catching prospect Kelly Shoppach and starter Bronson Arroyo are three names being heard as an appealing package. Wagner, by the way, is traveling with his family, extra clothes and extra suitcases on the Phillies' current road trip."

----------------------------------------

No way will Boston give up those three, mostly Youkilis. Boston may try and trade Mueller but they'll keep Kevin.

If Wagner is preparing to be traded, the White Sox will beat any offer for him, no doubt. Getting AJ Burnett and hoping Jose Contreras pitches well in the pen can't beat getting a sure fire closer like Wagner.

Let's see Houston just swept them and beat Pedro, well the Mets when Pedro pitched. Oh, Houston is also 9-1 in their last 10. Although I think Wade should think about a deal he won't.

The white flag deal is very similar to this in that although they are only 3 1/2 games (or something) back the fans, as they should, still believe the Phils have a shot. Their problem is that their division is just tough enough for them to make it hard.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
Let's see Houston just swept them and beat Pedro, well the Mets when Pedro pitched.  Oh, Houston is also 9-1 in their last 10.  Although I think Wade should think about a deal he won't.

The white flag deal is very similar to this in that although they are only 3 1/2 games (or something) back the fans, as they should, still believe the Phils have a shot.  Their problem is that their division is just tough enough for them to make it hard.

I agree the Phils aren't going to "white flag" it [ie, trade vets for prospects]. But if they could get guys who can help them this yr [like Baez and a SP], the Phils would still be getting help to contend for the playoffs. With the sox being mentioned w/ Baez, they could spin him off to the Phils as part of a package for Wagner.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
Let's see Houston just swept them and beat Pedro, well the Mets when Pedro pitched.  Oh, Houston is also 9-1 in their last 10.  Although I think Wade should think about a deal he won't.

The white flag deal is very similar to this in that although they are only 3 1/2 games (or something) back the fans, as they should, still believe the Phils have a shot.  Their problem is that their division is just tough enough for them to make it hard.

it is not similar to the white flag deal or even close to comparable. They would most likely receive McCarthy, Marte and another prospect for Wagner, and that is not comparable to our white flag trade. They have a good bullpen and they are looking for a starting pitcher. McCarthy may be that. They have Urbina to close games for them and Marte to fill in the bullpen spot they would lose out of Wagner. It isn't like they are just throwing everything away. That is, of course, if the Sox don't obtain players from someone else to spin off to the Phillies to obtain Wagner.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:04 AM)

stark said the sox have picked up interest and are making a push for guardado now too........he also said the sox could send a slew of young prospects for both huff and baez

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
stark said the sox have picked up interest and are making a push for guardado now too........he also said the sox could send a slew of young prospects for both huff and baez

OH YEAH BABY!!!! When did he say this? I just turned off the radio and I missed this? By the way I can't stand Eric CaSILLYASS. Plus all Tom Shaer is reporting is a deal with the Cubs and Soriano, not once has he mentioned Sox stuff.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)

Baez I'd trade. Huff, I'd keep.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:13 AM)
OH YEAH BABY!!!! When did he say this? I just turned off the radio and I missed this? By the way I can't stand Eric CaSILLYASS. Plus all Tom Shaer is reporting is a deal with the Cubs and Soriano, not once has he mentioned Sox stuff.

in his stark market report. on espn insider. so i guess he didnt say it, he wrote it....kinda liek the diff between slander and libel

I don't know how you can say that about Wade & the Phils. Looking at their schedule if he feels his team is capable of beating the rest in the NLE then why shoudn't he go for it? I agree they don't have enough to last in the post season but when was the last time they made it that far? Just making the push means Wagner is likely to sign an extension.

Right now they are playing as well as any body else in the NLE & the Nats continue to free-fall.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 05:25 AM)
Doesn't incredible mean unbelievable?

Yes, Mt Webster it does! :D

Plus who in their right mind goes into a trade scenario saying "I'll do anything and give you anything for Wagner" (or anyone else for that matter)? We need a quality releif pitcher, but I am afraid it's pretty limited out there.

If the deal for burnett could have been made,then the phillies would have taken burnett for wagner as long as we paid for everything.

The problem is that fla. wants the White Sox to pay all of mike lowells' contract,and the Sox won't do that.

QUOTE(harwar @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
If the deal for burnett could have been made,then the phillies would have taken burnett for wagner as long as we paid for everything.

The problem is that fla. wants the White Sox to pay all of mike lowells' contract,and the Sox won't do that.

I thought it was 60 percent. Where did you hear all?