Twins claim Soriano off waivers

Frank the Tank 35

Here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanb...nball&type=lgns

The article says that it's probably just a move to block other teams, but with the Twins' recent surge coupled with their need for a 2B (and SS and 3B) I think it could mean more. Soriano could really give them a boost. Oh for a week ago when I had no worries...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
Even with a subpar offense compared to Cleveland, New York, Oakland and the Angels?

Johan Santana if he is on can carry a Starting Rotation. They are only 3.5 back. Angels will win the division IMHO. Vlad can carry that team. Cleveland is not consistent and New York has a ton of holes. It's between them and Oakland IMHO.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
But Santana can only pitch once every fifth day.  So he can win every game he wants, they need to score for the other 4 starters.

Radke is a very good pitcher. Lohse is decent as a 3rd starter and Silva is pretty good. They have the best Starting Pitching of any team in competition for the wild card.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Radke is a very good pitcher.  Lohse is decent as a 3rd starter and Silva is pretty good.  They have the best Starting Pitching of any team in competition for the wild card.

I am not doubting their pitching but there was a reason that Silva won for the first time a couple of days ago since early July. They can't score runs and it doesn't matter how well Lohse, Radke, Silva and Mays pitch b/c they don't shut you out, they give up 2-4 runs. So their offense is still going to determine if they do anything.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
Radke is a very good pitcher.  Lohse is decent as a 3rd starter and Silva is pretty good.  They have the best Starting Pitching of any team in competition for the wild card.

Um, no. Lohse is a #5 and Silva is their #3 BTW.

Twins - A's - Indians - Yankees

Santana - Zito - Westbrook- Johnson

Radke - Harden - Sabathia - Mussina

Silva - Haren - Lee - Leiter

Mays - Saarloos - Millwood - Wright

Lohse - Blanton - Elarton - Chacon

Oakland's starting rotation > Minnesota's starting rotation

Cleveland's starting rotation > or = Minnesota's starting rotation

A's, Indians, Twins starting rotation's >>>>>>>>>>> Yankees starting rotation

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanb...nball&type=lgns

The article says that it's probably just a move to block other teams, but with the Twins' recent surge coupled with their need for a 2B (and SS and 3B) I think it could mean more.  Soriano could really give them a boost.  Oh for a week ago when I had no worries...

so let me get this straight.....the twins claimed him....that means he didnt clear right? if the twins claimed him, doesnt texas have to either "dump" him on the twins, or retract him from waivers? or had soriano already cleared? if he had already cleared, why isnt kenny talkin to texas also???

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
so let me get this straight.....the twins claimed him....that means he didnt clear right? if the twins claimed him, doesnt texas have to either "dump" him on the twins, or retract him from waivers? or had soriano already cleared? if he had already cleared, why isnt kenny talkin to texas also???

The Twins claimed Alfonso Soriano. Out of the all the teams that claimed him the Twins have the worst record and since the American league gets first dibs on Soriano all National league teams would then be eliminated.

Since the Twins claimed Soriano the Rangers can do a few things.

1.) Retract him from waivers meaing he would not be able to be traded.

2.) Dump him on the Twins, with the Twins eating all of his salary.

3.) The Rangers and Twins can negotiate a trade that would send Soriano to the the Twins for players that a.) are not on the 40 man roster b.) players whom have already cleared waivers c.) players on the 40 that they feel would clear waivers (meaning putting them on waivers and if they clear, they can then be traded to Texas)

The Twins have exclusive rights to Soriano right now, they are the only team that can trade him since they were the team with the worst record to claim him.

The White Sox can not trade for Soriano.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
Um, no. Lohse is a #5 and Silva is their #3 BTW.

Twins - A's - Indians - Yankees

Santana - Zito - Westbrook- Johnson

Radke - Harden - Sabathia - Mussina

Silva - Haren - Lee - Leiter

Mays - Saarloos - Millwood - Wright

Lohse - Blanton - Elarton - Chacon

Oakland's starting rotation > Minnesota's starting rotation

Cleveland's starting rotation > or = Minnesota's starting rotation

A's, Indians, Twins starting rotation's >>>>>>>>>>> Yankees starting rotation

right on Kalapse. and I would definately take the A's 1-2-3 and put them up against any of those teams.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
I think the Twins are the team to beat for the Wild Card.

Cant discount anyone but I think it will either be Cleveland or NY. Twins would be next and then the A's. Case being the A's were on a nice stretch and now they have come back down to earth. If I were in the wild card I'd definately fear Cleveland though.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 03:17 AM)
I'd much rather the Twins not acquire Soriano.  Hell, the best chance at beating the Twins is when Mays and Lohse pitch.  With Mauer, Morneau, Ford, and Lecroy swinging the bat well these days, adding Soriano would help them a lot.

Right on! I do believe though they were trying to trade for him before the deadline. Claiming him off waivers just seems the logical move.Many times the waiver thing is just to gauge interest. I think it is unlikely, but of course possible, that the Twinkles get A Soriano

If the Twins are blocking, who are they blocking Soriano from? I'd doubt they would care enough to block a move to the NL. I've also read Soriano has refused to play the OF so lets look at second base. Here are the AL teams above the Twinks in the standings:

Chicago

Boston

Los Angeles

Oakland

New York

Cleveland

and their 2B Starters are

Iguchi

Graffanino

Adam Kennedy

Scutaro

Canu

Belliard

QUOTE(TLAK @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 07:26 AM)
If the Twins are blocking, who are they blocking Soriano from?  I'd doubt they would care enough to block a move to the NL.  I've also read Soriano has refused to play the OF so lets look at second base. Here are the AL teams above the Twinks in the standings:

Chicago

Boston

Los Angeles

Oakland

New York

Cleveland

and their 2B Starters are

Iguchi

Graffanino

Adam Kennedy

Scutaro

Canu

Belliard

All of the above.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 06:42 AM)
All of the above.

They are blocking Soriano the hitter not the secondbaseman.

Let me ask a question here, if they claim him can there be a trade? Doesn't he have to clear for the Twins to be able to trade him? The Twins can pick him up for the remaining salary and then non-tender him. I thought he had to clear though to be traded. The Rangers can pull him back but then he can't be traded. By Minnesota claiming him, they are now taking all of his salary and not responsible for compensating Texas.

Am I correct?????

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)

Let me ask a question here, if they claim him can there be a trade?  Doesn't he have to clear for the Twins to be able to trade him?  The Twins can pick him up for the remaining salary and then non-tender him.  I thought he had to clear though to be traded.  The Rangers can pull him back but then he can't be traded.  By Minnesota claiming him, they are now taking all of his salary and not responsible for compensating Texas.

Am I correct?????

If the Rangers really want to get rid of him for some reason, they can just let the Twins take all of his contract. If they want something for him, they can work out a trade with only the Twins now because they were the worst team to claim him.

Not to be a prick, but there have been like 5 threads explaining this type of thing.

Let me ask a question here, if they claim him can there be a trade?  Doesn't he have to clear for the Twins to be able to trade him?  The Twins can pick him up for the remaining salary and then non-tender him.  I thought he had to clear though to be traded.  The Rangers can pull him back but then he can't be traded.  By Minnesota claiming him, they are now taking all of his salary and not responsible for compensating Texas.

Am I correct?????

Read Kalapse's post.

Am I correct?????

Sheeh..

Read the quote below, it should clear up all your misconseptions.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
The Twins claimed Alfonso Soriano. Out of the all the teams that claimed him the Twins have the worst record and since the American league gets first dibs on Soriano all National league teams would then be eliminated.

Since the Twins claimed Soriano the Rangers can do a few things.

1.) Retract him from waivers meaing he would not be able to be traded.

2.) Dump him on the Twins, with the Twins eating all of his salary.

3.) The Rangers and Twins can negotiate a trade that would send Soriano to the the Twins for players that a.) are not on the 40 man roster b.) players whom have already cleared waivers c.) players on the 40 that they feel would clear waivers (meaning putting them on waivers and if they clear, they can then be traded to Texas)

The Twins have exclusive rights to Soriano right now, they are the only team that can trade him since they were the team with the worst record to claim him.

The White Sox can not trade for Soriano.