Hurricane Katrina

Heads22

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
Is there any way to find out how the hotels are holding up?  I am trying to decide if I should call Cathy to see if she has heard from Chris or not.

No harm in calling.. I would call.

Is there any way to find out how the hotels are holding up?  I am trying to decide if I should call Cathy to see if she has heard from Chris or not.

You might want to call to comfort her, but I doubt there are any utilities active down there. I would be shocked if anyone could get a phone call connected to that area.

I'm getting mixed information from everywhere as well. But the 1 million figure HAD TO BE a predicted homeless figure and not anticipated deaths.

There have been reports of 30+ waves offshore. The worst of the storm surge, as we knoe by now, is going to be Biloxi area at, I've heard 14-20+ft and The surge in coastal LA may only be 10-14ft.

The Mayor of New Orleans this morning was being cautious on the flooding, but had indicated that some of the levee pumps had already crapped out. He was confident the Superdome was going to hold but admiteed he was concerned at the early leaking reports. One of the on site reporters was overly optimistic about the flooding situation because he hadn't seen it happening as yet. But if the waters overflow the levees along Pontchartrain, if they fail, or if the pumps all go out, flooding will be catastrophic.

As far as the difference between this and FL last year, it's too early to tell. But as far as New Orleans is concerned, when you're already sitting 8 feet below sea level and depend on pumps, levees, and luck to get through the best of times, it could certainly be bad.

Good thoughts to all in the path, now and in the coming days and weeks.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/4887230/detail.ht...772&dppid=65172

The thousands of people who took shelter in the New Orleans Superdome couldn't completely escape the wrath of Hurricane Katrina.

The storm has now torn two holes in the roof of the huge arena, and people inside can hear the rumbling of the winds ripping at the metal on the roof. They can see the metal flapping, and can even see the sky through the holes.

Water is dripping in and people are being moved away from about five sections of seats.

General Manager Glenn Menard said he does not know how serious the problem is, and added there's no way of getting anyone up there to look at it.

Yeah, I would guess no one is getting up on the roof to check it out. :bang

One of the big French Quarter hotels that had a few hundred people in it pretty much lost all its windows, and everybody has been moved into a large, window-less ballroom. Another area hotel is in the process of losing a huge glass atrium.

A large freighter of some sort has plowed into some shoreline structures in the Mississippi as well, but I didn;t get any more info. We saw qhat that freighter plowing into Jackson landing did a few years ago though, so if large vessels tear away from their moorings it'll be bad.

We had one of our research vessels tear loose in our ship channel last year during Francis. There was a volunteer crew on board willing to ride the storm out in the channel in case that happened, and they were able to save the ship and surrounding structures. It was pretty impressive.

http://www.wdsu.com/weather/4908558/detail.html

Compiled From Staff Reports; Headlines Indicate Central Time

9:25 a.m.: East Jefferson Hospital Also Flooding

There are also reports of water on the lower floor of East Jefferson Hospital. The flooding may be related to unconfirmed reports of levee breaks along industrial canals in the area. -- WDSU.com Web Staff

9:15 a.m.: Florida Misses Brunt Of Katrina

This time, Florida seems to be missing the brunt of a hurricane. Nine people died last week as Katrina crossed Florida as a Category 1 Hurricane. Now, the Category 4 storm is focusing its wrath on Gulf Coast states west of Florida. But the fringes of the huge storm are being felt in the Panhandle, in the form of 46 mph wind gusts and a 6-foot storm surge. A Pensacola-area government official sympathizes with New Orleans and Mississippi but says locals are "grateful" the storm is just brushing their state. -- WDSU.com Web Staff

9:04 a.m.: Ocshner Hospital Flooding

Heavy rains associated with Hurricane Katrina are sending floodwaters into the first floor of Ocshner Hospital. Patients are being moved to the upper floors of the building. -- WDSU.com Web Staff

8:46 a.m.: Superdome Damage Considered Minor

The National Guard told reporters at a news conference in Baton Rouge, La., that the holes in the roof at the Superdome are only minor. A representative of the National Guard blamed the strong winds for ripping the fabric, but he said there were no structural problems with the roof, and evacuees in the affected areas were moved. -- WDSU.com Web Staff

8:38 a.m.: Storm Rips Superdome Roof

The thousands of people who took shelter in the New Orleans Superdome couldn't completely escape the wrath of Hurricane Katrina. The storm has now torn two holes in the roof of the huge arena. People inside can hear the rumbling of the winds ripping at the metal on the roof. They can see the metal flapping, and can even see the sky through the holes. Water is dripping in and people are being moved away from about five sections of seats. General Manager Glenn Menard says he does not know how serious the problem is. He says there's no way of getting anyone up there to look at it. -- Associated Press

8:21 a.m.: Conditions Should Improve In New Orleans

The center of Hurricane Katrina is moving northward, and residents in New Orleans may soon see some improvement. But People in Slidell will soon see conditions turning worse. Deteriorating weather is also expected in Picayune and Springhill. -- WDSU chief meteorologist Dan Milham

8:18 a.m.: Katrina Hammers Gulf Coast

The storm is hammering the Gulf Coast with huge waves and tree-bending winds. Exploding transformers lit up the predawn sky in Mobile, Ala. Tree limbs litter the roads and blinding rain has whipped up the sand on deserted Gulfport, Miss., beaches. National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield warns that the worst may still be ahead. He says "It's capable of causing catastrophic damage." -- Associated Press

8:08 a.m.: Superdome Roof Damaged

Part of the roof at the New Orleans Superdome is gone. A 3-by-5-foot chunk is missing, and people are being ushered off the field of the stadium. Although the roof has been breached, those inside are remaining calm. A heavy mist is reported inside, and some are now wearing raincoats. -- WDSU reporter Travers Mackel

8:04 a.m.: Flying Debris In New Orleans

There are reports of trees down around WDSU-TV. Staff at the station also report parts of roofs coming off buildings. There are also continued reports of pumping stations around the New Orleans area without power. Right now, the fire department is responding to the Hilton because of shattered glass. People staying at the hotel are being moved downstairs to a windowless room. -- WDSU News Director Anzio Williams

7:54 a.m.: Mississippi Braces For Storm Surge

The movement of Hurricane Katrina is putting the Mississippi Gulf Coast in the path of a huge wall of water. A storm surge of 25 to 30 feet is expected between Slidell and Mobile, which will be in the eastern quadrant of the hurricane. The New Orleans area is now experiencing the worst conditions associated with Katrina. -- WDSU chief meteorologist Dan Milham

7:42 a.m.: Home Burns In Covington

There are reports of an electrical fire at a home in Covington this morning. Unfortunately, firefighters were unable to respond because of high winds. Fire officials said they won't respond to calls while sustained winds are over 40 mph. It's unclear if there were any injuries. -- WDSU.com Web Staff

7:38 a.m.: Winds Blown Out Of Hilton

High winds have blown out windows in the upper levels of New Orleans' Hilton Hotel. Videophone pictures from NBC's Carl Quintanilla show curtains blowing in the wind from the hotel rooms. Lamp posts from the city's streets are littering sidewalks and aluminium siding is being seen flying through the air. Quintanilla reports that the city's sewers are handling all the water, but the main threat from this hurricane may be the strong winds. -- WDSU.com Web Staff

7:29 a.m.: 113 MPH Wind Gust In Slidell

A 113 mph wind gust has been reported near Slidell, La., and meteorologists fear the area between Slidell and the Alabama border could be the most heavily damaged area from Hurricane Katrina. -- WDSU.com Web Staff

7:24 a.m.: Superdome Leak Gets Worse

The leak at the Superdome is getting worse. It's only happening in one part of the stadium. There are about 10,000 people inside, and they are remaining calm. They're being moved from the plaza area to the concrete-reinforced area. -- WDSU reporter Ed Reams

7:20 a.m.: Superdome Leaking

There are reports of leaks at the Superdome. People are being moved from their seats, and officials are using flashlights to find out what's causing the problems. It's unclear if the roof has been compromised, but strange noises are also being heard. -- WDSU reporter Ed Reams

7:17 a.m.: Attorney General Will Investigate Price Gouging

Louisiana's attorney general says he'll punish price gouging after Katrina blows through. Charles Foti said already his office has received nearly two dozen calls from people who say they were overcharged for gasoline or a hotel room. He's promising to aggressively prosecute the offenders. Other complaints involve stores selling generators or canned goods at twice the normal price. -- Associated Press

7:12 a.m.: Katrina's Winds Hit French Quarter

The fury of Hurricane Katrina is now being felt in Louisiana. It came ashore about 55 miles from New Orleans. But its advancing winds are already blowing the slate tiles off the roofs in the French Quarter. The wind is blowing rain sideways and carrying debris a hundred feet in the air. Power was on and off in sections of the city, and emergency vehicles are patrolling with their lights flashing. -- Associated Press

7:12 a.m.: Power Outages Reported

A utility spokesman estimates 370,000 customers lost electricity. That includes the Louisiana Superdome, where thousands of people are being sheltered. There were groans when the lights first went out. Backup generators have kicked in but they're not strong enough to run the air conditioning. Katrina hit shore with 145 mph winds. -- Associated Press

7:08 a.m.: FEMA Chief Praises New Orleans Officials

The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency says the government has known for a long time how vulnerable New Orleans would be in a major hurricane like Katrina. Michael Brown says Louisiana went through a table-top drill a year ago and is doing a good job responding right now. He also tells NBC the government is preparing supplies and response teams to move wherever Gulf state governors need them once the weather allows. -- Associated Press

7:04 a.m.: Power Out At Superdome

The Superdome has lost power triggering groans from more than 10,000 storm evacuees who are riding out the storm in the 77,000-seat stadium. Backup generators only run dimmed lights and no air conditioning. -- WDSU.com Web Staff

7:02 a.m.: Pumps Not Working

Pumps around New Orleans are not working raising concerns about flooding across the metropolitan area. -- WDSU.com Web Staff

6:01 a.m.: Katrina East Of Grand Isle, La.

The center of Hurricane Katrina is crashing ashore just east of Grand Isle, La., about 60 miles south of New Orleans. The storm is a Category 4, with sustained winds of 150 mph. The National Hurricane Center says it may be sliding a bit to the east, putting the bowl-like city of New Orleans on the western side of the eyewall. That's considered the weaker side of the strongest winds. -- Associated Press

5:34 a.m.: Katrina Makes Landfall

The National Hurricane Center says Hurricane Katrina has hit shore just east of Grand Isle, La. -- Associated Press

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063708/

"‘Tell someone to come get me’

Resident Chris Robinson said via cellphone from his home east of downtown that “I’m not doing too good right now.”

“The water’s rising pretty fast,” he added. “I got a hammer and an ax and a crowbar, but I’m holding off on breaking through the roof until the last minute. Tell someone to come get me please. I want to live.”

Mayor Ray Nagin earlier told “Today” that some flooding was inevitable after one of the city's water pumping stations had failed.

At the Superdome, where thousands sought shelter, two holes opened in the roof and rain was leaking in. Officials said the damage was not structural, but conditions were worsening.

“The rain is coming in from many many places in the roof,” NBC's Brian Williams reported from inside the stadium. "

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9115520/

More relief organizations that will be giving help to these areas.

All of those look like national relief organizations.

I wonder how many foreign relief organizations will come to the aide of an American City.....After the Tsunami and such America was quick to help out....how many will be quick to help us??

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
All of those look like national relief organizations. 

I wonder how many foreign relief organizations will come to the aide of an American City.....After the Tsunami and such America was quick to help out....how many will be quick to help us??

Goose egg?

I don't know how.. but there is video of some of the debris flying on MSNBC... an entire power pole with wires still attached was flying. Shopping carts were being tossed and swirrling in the air like a piece of paper.

:huh:

So far here in bloomington normal, gas has risen 50 cents a gallon. and there was even one station that was charging 3.50 a gallon. The lines at the stations that had not yet risen the price were long.

Gas at 3 dollars a gallon was inevitable, but i wish it weren't paired with the destruction that the hurrican is bringing.

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
It's not the oil that's the problem.

It's the lack of refineries in the U.S. to make gasoline from the oil.

35% of domestic oil production is pumped out of the gulf of Mexico, and much of it is in this area. If the infastructure is destroyed down there, it will be a huge problem, to the tune of upto a million bbp per day. There are refineries down there, but by and large the biggest refinaries are not in that area of the country.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
35% of domestic oil production is pumped out of the gulf of Mexico, and much of it is in this area.  If the infastructure is destroyed down there, it will be a huge problem, to the tune of upto a million bbp per day.  There are refineries down there, but by and large the biggest refinaries are not in that area of the country.

To continue on this thought, they just showed a stat on CNBC that said 92% of crude oil production, and 83% of natural gas production out of the Gulf of Mexico is currently shut down.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
To continue on this thought, they just showed a stat on CNBC that said 92% of crude oil production, and 83% of natural gas production out of the Gulf of Mexico is currently shut down.

Equivalent to some 600K barrels a day... did I hear that right..??? :o