Hey, Guess What?

The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
She likes SOME metal and almost no punk, and she likes a lot of "Mix 101.9 music". I get THAT LOOK when I play most of my stuff  :D .

And yeah, I've been recharging via the PC until I get a charger for it. Thanks for the tip on that icon not leaving, although the icon did drop off a couple times before. That's been the frustration so far - seems like nothing is consistent with it.

I guess I just have to learn more about the damn thing, which I'm not really looking forward to.... :huh

personally i think you should call apple, they are pretty good with customer service, but make shure all your music is backed up first cause they may erase all the stuff on it..

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Update:

After f***ing around with it a little, I was able to restore my wife's playlist and the thing seems stable.

Still not sure why the "do not disconnect" icon stayed up so long during the battery charge. I had to click on the "safely remove hardware" icon to remove the USB cable, then get out of the iTunes player and then do it all over again.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it - I guess it's a good thing I got the extended 3-year plan.

And thanks for the tip, bmags - I was able to get all of my "bad" songs ( my ugly punk & metal stuff ) off of her playlist. She will be VERY grateful to you.... :D

The Ipod will continue to say "Do not Disconnect" until you click on the eject button on Itunes, next to your Ipods name.

The first time you charge the Ipod is the absolute longest, the battery pretty much has nothing in it, and it charges all the way up. My Ipod took a pretty long time to charge the first time also.

There are tons of little nuances that Apple installs as defaults, and they are pretty damn annoying. The worst being the automatic update. Once you disable the Auto Update, its pretty awesome. Try www.ipodlounge.com for a downloadable help manual on every seperate Ipod version. Its pretty handy. If you want to play your songs on more of a constant random selection, go to your Settings and scroll down to shuffle, and click it twice until SONG is showing.

Give it a chance before you throw it out the window. ;)

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
EQ is in settings...theres also some program that puts the correct EQ for each song based on genre or something...i haven't found it yet...

but that's what I mean, the EQ settings are all pre set, you can't manipulate the sound on each song to your liking. Personally, I think most rock records don't have enough bass, so I like to able to turn that up on most records.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
I hear people say they get crappy reception. Not so for you?

Not at all. Occasionally I'll hear a bit of engine noise in the background, but honestly it works great.

If you're into the whole bumping thing, it does great for that and that's as good a test as any I suppose.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
I hear people say they get crappy reception. Not so for you?

i have an FM transmitter as well.

Sometimes it works great, othertimes crappy.

It all depends on finding the right radio station. Sometimes you'll have to adjust it every once and awhile, butnot a big deal.

It's well worth the money.....just think, your entire music collection in your car.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
i have an FM transmitter as well.

Sometimes it works great, othertimes crappy.

It all depends on finding the right radio station.  Sometimes you'll have to adjust it every once and awhile, but not a big deal.

It's well worth the money.....just think, your entire music collection in your car.

Yeah, I got her one of those Griffin iTrip things too.

It works pretty well on some of our radios, and not at all on others. Again, weird.

Also, the signal is kinda weak - we have to crank the volume way up on the radio.

We have to return the iTrip anyway, it has a small crack on the case. Maybe that has something to do with the poor signal, we'll find out I suppose.

When using the iTrip, make sure the volume level of your ipod is not greater than 75 or 80 percent of the maximum. If it is, you'll get a horrible sound. It's better to turn the ipod down and the radio up if you want clear reception. It can also be very tricky to find a station that works mostly everywhere in your town, but after you do, the device works pretty damn well.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
When using the iTrip, make sure the volume level of your ipod is not greater than 75 or 80 percent of the maximum.  If it is, you'll get a horrible sound.  It's better to turn the ipod down and the radio up if you want clear reception.  It can also be very tricky to find a station that works mostly everywhere in your town, but after you do, the device works pretty damn well.

The Itrip seems to be good for some, and not so good for others. I completely agree on the Ipod volume with the Itrip, 75-80 percent is about as high as you can go without getting crackles in your signal. The station I use pretty much all of the time is 87.9. It seems to be unused pretty much everywhere, and I never have problems with the signals.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
When using the iTrip, make sure the volume level of your ipod is not greater than 75 or 80 percent of the maximum.  If it is, you'll get a horrible sound.  It's better to turn the ipod down and the radio up if you want clear reception.  It can also be very tricky to find a station that works mostly everywhere in your town, but after you do, the device works pretty damn well.

yeah, you'll have to play around with the stations for the first few days, but after awhile, you'll find a good 3-4 stations, which i have preset in my car. It works pretty damn well after all that

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 06:29 AM)
The Itrip seems to be good for some, and not so good for others.  I completely agree on the Ipod volume with the Itrip, 75-80 percent is about as high as you can go without getting crackles in your signal.  The station I use pretty much all of the time is 87.9.  It seems to be unused pretty much everywhere, and I never have problems with the signals.

Typically if you live in or around major cities, the itrip isn't very good. I know out where I am they don't really recommend it (this was told to me from a couple people at the Apple store) and actually told me to just go buy one of those tape deck connectors becasue you get a lot better quality.

Went to target and picked one up for under 5 bucks and it works awesome. Also, just to restate what Boz said, make sure you don't have your ipod on full volume when you are using one of the car things. You don't get good sound. Turn it down a little bit and than just use the car volume the rest of the time.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
Funny, the iPod volume doesn't affect anything at all for my FM transmittor. I plug it into the bottom thing (where the USB dealie goes) and have to use the volume in my car. I could turn the iPod all the way down and it wouldn't make a difference.

It sounds like you have the Belkin transmitter that goes into the dock connector like me, and that's how it's supposed to work. You're bypassing the ear bud volume control as well as, I believe, any EQ settings that are not attached to individual song files. Instead all volume and EQ functions are determined by your car's audio system.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
It sounds like you have the Belkin transmitter that goes into the dock connector like me, and that's how it's supposed to work.  You're bypassing the ear bud volume control as well as, I believe, any EQ settings that are not attached to individual song files.  Instead all volume and EQ functions are determined by your car's audio system.

Ya, I got it off of my buddy for free. Wwent and checked out the price at best Buy... 70 bucks. That's crazy.

I had the Belkin transmitter and the Griffen iTrip, and I thought they both sucked. I could never find a good channel.

I also couldnt stand trying to listen to digital music with radio reception.

To solve my problem, I just bought a Monster iCable and connected it to the back of my Pioneer radio, and viola...great sound. It only cost about $30 from Best Buy.

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
I had the Belkin transmitter and the Griffen iTrip, and I thought they both sucked.  I could never find a good channel.

I also couldnt stand trying to listen to digital music with radio reception.

To solve my problem, I just bought a Monster iCable and connected it to the back of my Pioneer radio, and viola...great sound.  It only cost about $30 from Best Buy.

You mean you plugged it into the back of your head unit where there are two RCA jacks?

That would make no sense though, as those are for output...