Beckett and Lowell to the Red Sox

slick03

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-r...ov=ap&type=lgns

Officials of two other major league teams, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Boston Red Sox were deep in discussions to acquire Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell from the Marlins for top shortstop prospect Hanley Ramirez and one or two other prospects.

Another person familiar with the talks said Boston might include pitching prospects Anibel Sanchez and Jesus Delgado.

On Sportscenter they had a report from Peter Gammons and he stated the following:

"So now, after having one of the oldest rotations, Boston can trot out Beckett, Jonathon Papelbon and John Lester for the next 6 years and compete with anyone in October."

Am I the only one who thinks this is absolute bulls***? I understand that Papelbon and Lester are huge prospects and the Red Sox have high hopes for them but to say that for the next 6 years these two extremely unproven pitchers are going to dominate as absolute horses***. I understand that Gammons loves the Red Sox and all but god damn can he just show one instance of unbias reporting?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
On Sportscenter they had a report from Peter Gammons and he stated the following:

"So now, after having one of the oldest rotations, Boston can trot out Beckett, Jonathon Papelbon and John Lester for the next 6 years and compete with anyone in October."

Am I the only one who thinks this is absolute bulls***? I understand that Papelbon and Lester are huge prospects and the Red Sox have high hopes for them but to say that for the next 6 years these two extremely unproven pitchers are going to dominate as absolute horses***. I understand that Gammons loves the Red Sox and all but god damn can he just show one instance of unbias reporting?

Plus everyone knows not all good arms come to fruition and there is no reason to think all of them will pan out. That said Boston made a good deal. They can afford Lowell's contract and I'm of the belief Lowell will rebound next season and put up numbers like he did the previous two years. Beckett is definately a risk, but he hasn't had serious arm problems although blisters still nag and keep you from making the starts (and Ismael Valdes showed how they can pretty much follow you and ruin a career), so who knows if he'll ever get over them.

Still the Red Sox gave up two totally unproven prospects for a gold glover and former all star 3rd baseman (arguably in his prime, although he is coming off a bad year) and one of the best arms in the NL (notice I say Arms). Good use of two prospects, imo.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
How many starting pitchers do they have now?  Schilling, Clement, Beckett, Arroyo, Miller, Papelbon, Wakefield, Lester...

Schilling has shown nothing to make me believe he'll be back. It will be interesting to see how he pitches early this year, but if he doesn't have his velocity and stuff back early in the season his career is over (sadly that playoff heroicy may have ended his career). Arroyo would likely slide to the pen and I think they would still be in the market for another starter.

Clement, Beckett, two kids and Wakefield wouldn't exactly be a playoff rotation (considering I'm usually one to expect nothing from young pitchers in there 1st full seasons). However, if any team could get away with it, it would be one with an offense as potent as the Red Sox (especially if they keep Manny; Plus Renteria is far better than he played in 05 with Boston).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
Schilling has shown nothing to make me believe he'll be back.  It will be interesting to see how he pitches early this year, but if he doesn't have his velocity and stuff back early in the season his career is over (sadly that playoff heroicy may have ended his career).  Arroyo would likely slide to the pen and I think they would still be in the market for another starter. 

Clement, Beckett, two kids and Wakefield wouldn't exactly be a playoff rotation (considering I'm usually one to expect nothing from young pitchers in there 1st full seasons).  However, if any team could get away with it, it would be one with an offense as potent as the Red Sox (especially if they keep Manny; Plus Renteria is far better than he played in 05 with Boston).

Doesn't Boston still have David Wells under contract?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 02:47 AM)
Can someone explain why blisters are a chonic condition... I mean unless he has herpes of the hand they should heal... This just seems like a load of bulls*** to me...

Sure, his are because of the continuous pressure he places on the fingertips because of his pitches. If you ever play golf, some people will continually get blisters in the same spot because of over use. Basically he needs to learn to grip the ball different of have Alou piss on his hands a couple of times to harden the skin.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Doesn't Boston still have David Wells under contract?

Wells will be in San Diego via trade. Wells has asked for it, the Pads and Red Sox both are working on it and it will happen. It will be Dave Roberts and probably a prospect or something along those lines.

Sure, his are because of the continuous pressure he places on the fingertips because of his pitches.  If you ever play golf, some people will continually get blisters in the same spot because of over use.  Basically he needs to learn to grip the ball different of have Alou piss on his hands a couple of times to harden the skin.

nice, haha

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 05:17 AM)

Gammons used to say the same about the Sox and Ruffcorn, Bere, Kip Wells, Fernandez and Alvarez.