High gas prices.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
Gas futures have fallen off about 40 cents in the last 3 weeks or so since the Prudehoe Bay highs, all by themselves. Personally I don't think the fall at the pump will be this dramatic, as the run up in the futures never really was fully felt at the pump, but I think we could be looking at 20-25 cents lower at pump by the weekend after Labor Day.

Yeah!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14545630/

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
here's the question: since there will no doubt be a drop after labor day due to decreased demand what kind of increase can we look forward to on labor day weekend?

Usually gas stations will raise prices like $.10-$.25 on high travel weekends just to make some money off of the high travel volume. I doubt it'll be much different this year.

More good news... gasoline futures are still falling, they are under 1.80 and still going. Crude has broke under the $70 ppb, and natural gas is flirting with $6. Hopefully the lack of bad news keeps up, because we all can sure use the lower fuel/heating bills.

It's CRITICAL that we get through the hurricane season unscathed.

Having said that, I say in the next two weeks, something ugly is going to happen geopolitically, and Iran will be right in the middle of it, because they need to prop the prices higher again.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
It's CRITICAL that we get through the hurricane season unscathed.

Having said that, I say in the next two weeks, something ugly is going to happen geopolitically, and Iran will be right in the middle of it, because they need to prop the prices higher again.

I passed by one of the offshore rig repair facilities and they are still crowded with work. That would indicate to me we are still behind in production.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
I passed by one of the offshore rig repair facilities and they are still crowded with work. That would indicate to me we are still behind in production.

I caught a blurp yesterday on CNBC to the effect that there is still 1.5 million barrels per day out of production in the US. I didn't catch whether that is all hurricane related, or if it is including everything.... regardless that is a HUGE amount of daily production.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews....xml&src=rss

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Hot and bothered by rising pump prices? Australian brothels are offering clients discounts based on their gas bills.

Brothel owners claim the system works much the same way as supermarkets which offer shoppers discounted gas prices by presenting their grocery bills when they fill up their tanks.

"If you come in and spend time with one of our lovely ladies, we'll give you a discount of 20 cents a liter," Kerry, manager of Sydney brothel The Site, told Reuters Wednesday.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 07:21 AM)
Filled up last night and it was 2.93 - shocked me as it was 3.05 a few days before.

Why are the gas prices dropping so quickly and so much?

end of summer mainly which means: -end of the summer travel season

-end of special summer blends of gas which causes prices to be higher

Down to $2.45 around here for the Labor Day weekend. It went DOWN 20 cents this week before the holiday... I was shocked.

Heard on the news, assuming we don't get any storms this year or there's nothing stupid geopolitically, we could see about $2.20 around Thanksgiving. I never thought I'd see that again.

The market just can't maintain $70+/barrel. There isn't much we can do for short-term demand, but we've all seen how the higher gas prices have greatly increased talks about hybrid cars, E-85, alternative power sources, cutting back, etc. etc. Mid-range and long-term demand is a lot more elastic than the short-term for oil.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
The market just can't maintain $70+/barrel. There isn't much we can do for short-term demand, but we've all seen how the higher gas prices have greatly increased talks about hybrid cars, E-85, alternative power sources, cutting back, etc. etc. Mid-range and long-term demand is a lot more elastic than the short-term for oil.

Ethanol currently does almost nothing to cut into our energy demand.