Official Soccer Thread

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
Patrick Vieira is leaving Juventus for Inter Milan and Ashley Cole has told Arsenal he will never play for them again.

Yeah, that surprised me a bit, both of them. Juve appealed again, geez, just give it up.

Man Yoo unveiled Michael Carrick today. Will be interesting to see how they actually fare this season with a decent central midfielder in there for a change instead of the likes of John O' Shea, Darren Fletcher etc.

Harry Redknapp said he was dissapointed with Zigic's performance against Cork City and said he is no longer high on signing him. This leaves an opening for Bolton as the front-runners.

Luckily, Zigic and Crvena Zvezda get to play AC Milan...

I heard during the MLS-Chelsea game that there are rumors that Chelsea is looking to sell Hernan Crespo

Btw, how 'bout the MLS All-Stars' perfermance today? I know this is preseason for Chelsea, but I still think it's pretty impressive. The MLS really played quite well. Plus, you've got to consider the MLS didn't have the likes of Landon Donovan, Eddie Pope, and a couple other all-stars.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
I heard during the MLS-Chelsea game that there are rumors that Chelsea is looking to sell Hernan Crespo

Btw, how 'bout the MLS All-Stars' perfermance today? I know this is preseason for Chelsea, but I still think it's pretty impressive. The MLS really played quite well. Plus, you've got to consider the MLS didn't have the likes of Landon Donovan, Eddie Pope, and a couple other all-stars.

I work security at Bridgeview Stadium, was present at the game this afternoon, and have been to all but one Chicago Fire match this season. It was undoubtedly the most exciting game I've witnessed. 20,000+ fans into the entire game. Must have sounded great on ESPN.

Because my back is turned away from the action I couldn't observe the entire game; but watching fans expressions and quickly glancing to the screen stationed on the southside of the stadium, it was a quality matchup. There was the intial Chelsea goal which wasn't (have no idea why it didn't count) and the hustle from MLS goalkeeper to BARELY save a loose soccer ball. Two great moments.

Admittingly, I don't know much about soccer. Although working at Fire games -- coupled with the World Cup -- has heightened my appreciation for the sport.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 02:38 AM)
There was the intial Chelsea goal which wasn't (have no idea why it didn't count) and the hustle from MLS goalkeeper to BARELY save a loose soccer ball. Two great moments.

Yeah, I think you may be refering to when the Chelsea player who scored was offsides. It was close, but upon replay, the ref made the correct call.

And, yeah, I'm with you that the World Cup really heightened my appreciation for the sport as well. I've really just become a fan of the sport in the last 2 months or so. I'm not sure why I never liked soccer at all before, but I find it exciting now.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)

They had to have soaked the field before the game. The ball was moving like it was a water logged pitch. The ball would move out and then would stop.

The best move of the game was Albrights bump in of Bridge and then to take a shot in the box. Just missed. That was a class move, and a class shot.

QUOTE(zenryan @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
someone should set up an EPL fantasy league through yahoo

I'd be up for that if we got enough interest.

But anyways in bigger news, apparently Hernan Crespo has been sold to Inter Milan on a 2 year deal on a free transfer. BUT, Chelsea have the option to buy him back after a season.

So someone like Fernando Torres or Dirk Kuyt could be headed for Chelsea now possibly?

Arsenal signs Frank Ribery for 13.5...they just got a lot better. And with the addition of Hernan Crespo, Inter Milan is looking to sell Obafemi Martins with Portsmouth highly interested.

Watched some of Barcelona's game against Chivas tonight and they looked real good. If it wasn't for a terribly-obvious, blown off-sides call, Barca would have won 1-0.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
Arsenal signs Frank Ribery for 13.5...they just got a lot better. And with the addition of Hernan Crespo, Inter Milan is looking to sell Obafemi Martins with Portsmouth highly interested.

Watched some of Barcelona's game against Chivas tonight and they looked real good. If it wasn't for a terribly-obvious, blown off-sides call, Barca would have won 1-0.

Ribery has not signed yet. But Cesc Fabergas is a star of stars in the making.

Dean Ashton broke his ankle in a tackle from Shawn Wright - Phillips in England training and is going to be out for 3 months.

Just absolutely feel terrible for him at the moment. Was going to be his first ever England performance as well.

West Ham beat Charlton 3-1. Perfect start to the season.

Oh and SoxFan1, HUGE rumors going around that Sam Allardyce is going to quit Bolton and take over Sunderland.

Sunderland losing 3-0 today under Niall Quinn ain't going to help things on that regard.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 04:07 AM)
Arsenal ties Villa 1-1.

Arsenal did not look that great until Walcott provided a much needed spark. Also, Reyes is staying with the club.

Yeah I watched the game live on the TV Streaming on SOPCast, while I had the radio feed of the Hammers game going.

Arsenal just really struggle in the final 1/3rd in terms of actually getting a shot on goal. They have so much buildup play for no end result.

When Walcott came on though, they actually had a purpose. He looked very good, and really quick and sharp attacking opposing full - backs on the dribble in the brief time he was on.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 05:43 AM)
Yeah I watched the game live on the TV Streaming on SOPCast, while I had the radio feed of the Hammers game going.

Arsenal just really struggle in the final 1/3rd in terms of actually getting a shot on goal. They have so much buildup play for no end result.

When Walcott came on though, they actually had a purpose. He looked very good, and really quick and sharp attacking opposing full - backs on the dribble in the brief time he was on.

They just did not shoot the ball, just kept toying with Villa. I wonder if Theo replacing Adebayor will occur sooner than later.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 06:43 AM)

is there a site that I can watch live streams?

nice win for Man U today! all is right with C-Ronaldo and Rooney on the pitch

QUOTE(zenryan @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)

The made a fierce combination today. Very impressive.

But when will Fulham realize that Bocanegra is one of their better defenders?

As far as Allardyce leaving Bolton, I can't see him doing it now. If he does, is there any word on a replacement? It would be bad to lose him. He established Bolton in the Premiership and has done nothing but good things.

QUOTE(zenryan @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:06 AM)

Do a google search on SOPCast, and you should be able to download their latest version.

Has about 7 sport channels I think you can watch, including ESPN.