Konerko update

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
I agree! Gload has been doing well at first. I also noticed that AJ has been doing better since Sandy got here.

Right. I also noticed the temperatures have gotten very hot in Chicago since Thome hurt his wrist. Must be a correlation there too.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
It appears to me that Thome's absence has made the guys remember how to play again.

That's a very interesting observation.

I have mentioned before that I wonder if all the big bats somehow derailed our smallball mentality. It's not to slam Thome or to suggest he wasn't a good addition, but we'll see how this plays out.

Granted, KC's pitching isn't exactly killin' either.

I do REALLY like that we have been stealing, bunting and taking chances on the basepaths lately. And despite some errors (mostly by Juan), we've made some gutsy and difficult plays in the field. The team is starting to get that scrappy edge back.

That all said, I sure as heck hope PK's injury and Thome's back spasms turn out to be nothing, and they both return for the Toronto series.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
Whats the point of the post?

That our offense looking good in it's last 5 days is more likely attributed to playing 2 awful pitchings staffs than having anything to do with Thome not playing or Sandy being here.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
The depth that KW has provided is really coming in handy the last few days.

I just wish we had the decent back-up CFer.

:lol:

That "depth" you thank KW for INCLUDES our back-up outfielder, Mack, who got two hits, stole a base and was generally clutch AGAIN last night. The guy is hitting what, .310 or so?

With all the problems we have, I don't get your obsession with that. Its just not that important, and frankly, given what Mack contributes offensively, isn't even a significant drop-off when he plays.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 08:10 AM)
Whats the point of the post?

He is illustrating the point that correlation does not mean causation. Thome's days off correlated with a few wins does not mean that those wins are happening because Thome is out.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)

That "depth" you thank KW for INCLUDES our back-up outfielder, Mack, who got two hits, stole a base and was generally clutch AGAIN last night. The guy is hitting what, .310 or so?

With all the problems we have, I don't get your obsession with that. Its just not that important, and frankly, given what Mack contributes offensively, isn't even a significant drop-off when he plays.

Defensively, it is a very significant drop off if he's in CF, which is where he is most of the time.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)

Our lack of a back-up CF is absolutely important. It's come back to haunt us about 10 times this season, and we would likely have had 2 or 3 more wins if there was a better defensive option out there. Mackowiak has been excellent at the plate this year...but his defense in CF is absolutely medicore. When you say we have a lot of problems, a lot of them come from our awful outfield defense this season. Our starting pitching has struggled this season, but they've gotten no help from our LF defense and CF back-up. A lot of rallies have started against us do to miscues out there.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)

The problem is of course that ozzie insists that we need a backup Center Fielder who will start in CF every 3rd game, thus putting one of the worst defensive center fielders in the game out there for us, and costing us at least 1 run it seems every time he's out there. (Last time he was out there, on Sunday, he short-hopped 2 balls Anderson would have had easily, at least one of which turned into an RBI).

I think it's silly to say that because Thome is out, the offense is doing better. Bull.

I do like, however, the way this team is built, and even without Thome, we've gotten good games from the rest of the guys. I'm not sure if they could sustain it for too long a time, and in fact I'd bet that they can't, but I like this team's depth, talent and resilency.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
Our lack of a back-up CF is absolutely important. It's come back to haunt us about 10 times this season, and we would likely have had 2 or 3 more wins if there was a better defensive option out there. Mackowiak has been excellent at the plate this year...but his defense in CF is absolutely medicore. When you say we have a lot of problems, a lot of them come from our awful outfield defense this season. Our starting pitching has struggled this season, but they've gotten no help from our LF defense and CF back-up. A lot of rallies have started against us do to miscues out there.

Mediocre is being generous.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)

I just don't agree. I doubt more than 1 game was turned significantly due to Mack's presence in CF, and he has won us at least one game I know of. So I don't see the huge impact.

Now Pods, who plays every day, his bad D worries me more than Mack's once every 3-4 days in CF.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
Mediocre is being generous.

I like Rob, so I tried to be nice. :P

If people don't think that he's hurt us in CF though, I'm not sure what games they've been watching. He's very much below average out there, and that magnifies the defensive struggles in LF this season also, as well as Dye's decreased range.

Edited by fathom