fair weather fan

Keystone

ok, so i had a party tonight at my house and once the party started going i was persuaded to wear my cheap ass plastic white sox batting helmet. ( i go to school in ohio so needless to say, my friends who are indians fans completely destroyed it within the next ten minutes. theyre bitter as hell and kind of psycho). anyways, the topic of me being a fair weather fan came up because everyone assumes that every white sox fan is a fair weather fan. im clearly not a fair weather fan considering i went to my first sox game when i was 8. it was difficult for me to prove that i had been a fan before they were winners. We came up with naming the starting lineup from the 2000 team as the baromter for fair weather fandom. I was only able to come up with 4 position players, however, i could name the top 4 starters. Well, this post is unnecessarily long but i was just wondering what you guys think would be the ultimate test to see who is a true sox fan. :canada

QUOTE(Keystone @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 01:20 AM)
ok, so i had a party tonight at my house and once the party started going i was persuaded to wear my cheap ass plastic white sox batting helmet. ( i go to school in ohio so needless to say, my friends who are indians fans completely destroyed it within the next ten minutes. theyre bitter as hell and kind of psycho). anyways, the topic of me being a fair weather fan came up because everyone assumes that every white sox fan is a fair weather fan. im clearly not a fair weather fan considering i went to my first sox game when i was 8. it was difficult for me to prove that i had been a fan before they were winners. We came up with naming the starting lineup from the 2000 team as the baromter for fair weather fandom. I was only able to come up with 4 position players, however, i could name the top 4 starters. Well, this post is unnecessarily long but i was just wondering what you guys think would be the ultimate test to see who is a true sox fan. :canada

man that party mustve sucked if ur online at midnight already....u should be drunk or layin the mack down on a hoe that u gon f*** later that night

If you went to your first game at 8 and have followed them closely

every year after you are not a fair weather fan.

I think the test is longevity.

You pass that test.

I can't rattle off full lineups of teams in the past, but I can tell you

the names of certain Sox players I followed throughout the years

thru thick and thin.

If you can name some key players enthusiastically and tell some

specific memories of these players you are not a fairr weather fan.

We need Jeff Foxworthy here.

You are not a fairweather fan if ...

Cathchers:

Charles Johnson

Mark Johnson

Brook Fordyce

Josh Paul?

1B:

Paul Konerko

Frank Thomas

2B:

Ray Durham

Tony Grafinino

SS:

Jose Valintin

3B:

Greg Norton

Herb Perry

Joe Crede

LF:

Carlos Lee

CF:

Chris Singleton

Jeff Abbott

RF:

Magglio Ordonez

DH: Harold Baines

SP:

James Baldwin

Eldred

Jon Garland

Kip Wells

Jim Parque

Sirotka

RP:

Sean Lowe

Bob Howry

Keith Foulke

Kelly Wunsch

Mark Buerhle

Lorenzo Barcello

guess I am not fair weathered

QUOTE(earthshiner @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 02:16 AM)
Cathchers:

Charles Johnson

Mark Johnson

Brook Fordyce

Josh Paul?

1B:

Paul Konerko

Frank Thomas

2B:

Ray Durham

Tony Grafinino

SS:

Jose Valintin

3B:

Greg Norton

Herb Perry

Joe Crede

LF:

Carlos Lee

CF:

Chris Singleton

Jeff Abbott

RF:

Magglio Ordonez

DH: Harold Baines

SP:

James Baldwin

Eldred

Jon Garland

Kip Wells

Jim Parque

Sirotka

RP:

Sean Lowe

Bob Howry

Keith Foulke

Kelly Wunsch

Mark Buerhle

Lorenzo Barcello

guess I am not fair weathered

Okay, All-Weather-Fan. Now give me the 1988 White Sox starting nine, the rotation and the closer.

I had co-workers who did the same thing to me when I started my new job. They claimed that I became a fan after the White Sox started winning in 2005. I just pulled up soxtalk.com and pointed to my profile and showed them the start date. Seemed like the easiest way for me to throw an earlier date at them.

I wouldn't consider myself a fair weather fan, since I'll go to games and keep tabs on the team even when they're not playoff contenders. On the other hand, when we do have a playoff caliber team, I'm following the day to day action ALOT closer than I would otherwise, so maybe someone else might consider that fair weather.

And naming the starting line up of any year, outside of 05 or 06, is probably not gonna happen. I'm lucky if I remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

I really don't care if people believe that I was a fan before they started winning or not. If they try to challenge me I answer their stupid questions and then challenge them back with some questions about their team. Hell sometimes I can answer questions about their team they didn't know. It makes them shut up real fast.

My family has been season ticket holders since 1991. I have followed the team since I was in grade school and I drive from Rockford to get to each game. I am fortunate enough to catch 15-20 games a year and was sitting in Comiskey for the "Kids Can Play" era.

I do not really care about fair weather fans because I know that I have been a fan for some time and winning always brings new fans to a team.

My biggest complaint about fans happened at SoxFest this year. A lady got to the mic and b****ed about not getting playoff tickets last year. She was NOT a season ticket holder and said that the true fans deserved the tickets. I agreed with her up to that point, but when she had the guts to tell the crowd in an upset voice, "I have been a White Sox fan since 2001!" she went over the line. Brooks was even trying not to laugh.

Fair weather fans are part of all sports and are not going anywhere. I do not have a problem with them and I welcome them. Just please do not act like you are entitled to something - I waited a long time for last year and some people waited a lot longer than me.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
I remember having a Charles Johnson man-crush. :wub:

I had my own little man-crush from that year, too :wub:

QUOTE(Beltin @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
Okay, All-Weather-Fan. Now give me the 1988 White Sox starting nine, the rotation and the closer.

I'll do you one better. I'll also give you their stats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1988.shtml

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
I had my own little man-crush from that year, too :wub:

I'll do you one better. I'll also give you their stats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1988.shtml

I have tried so hard to forget that team but your link brought everything back. I fear waking up in a cold sweat over the next few nights. Melido Perez was the ace, Ozzie Guillen was the lone All Star representative, and his double play partner was the forgettable Freddie Manrique. Did you see the salaries? Harold was the top earner at $1MM. I'll bet they were still paying off Julio Cruz at that point.

I remember the debacle and bitterness from 1995 through 1999 but for me there was no worse time in the 25 years I have followed this club than the stretch from 1986 through 1989. The only good thing about those years was that they led to really low expectations for the 1990 team that played the last year in the old park. Oakland was too experienced (and juiced) to be overtaken but it was still the most fun and promising season for me other than last year.

I'm not a fair weather fan by any means, but is it odd that I follow the team closer when they are crappy than I do when they are winning? Last year for example, the regular season was pretty damn boring until Cleveland closed the gap to a race.