Book Thread Part 2

SoxFan1

Couldn't find the old Book thread so I figured I'd start a new one.

I was browsing through Borders today and saw The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I've heard much about it so I decided to pick it up. That, along with Angels & Demons is on my current reading list.

Current books I am looking through in the near future

The Essential Chaplin

Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution

The Audacity of Hope - Obama

We Regret to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families (about Rwanda in 1994)

Rationale of the Dirty Joke

Love the People (Bill Hicks book)

American Scream (another Bill Hicks book)

A bunch of books from Disinfo.com

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
Current books I am looking through in the near future

The Essential Chaplin

Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution

The Audacity of Hope - Obama

We Regret to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families (about Rwanda in 1994)

Rationale of the Dirty Joke

Love the People (Bill Hicks book)

American Scream (another Bill Hicks book)

A bunch of books from Disinfo.com

Started Obama's new book...seems like a bunch of pie-in-the-sky rhetoric so far. He does write extremely well so atleast he makes it interesting. He definitely comes off as a politician who hasn't been corrupted by Washington yet.

To be read soon:

*The Elephant in the Room: Evangelicals, Libertarians and the Battle to Control the Republican Party - Ryan Sager

* The Conservative Soul: How We Lost It, How to Get It Back - Andrew Sullivan

*The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin - Gordon Wood

I had made a post here about it, but I'd really recommend Woodward's "State of Denial", very interesting read.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
Started Obama's new book...seems like a bunch of pie-in-the-sky rhetoric so far. He does write extremely well so atleast he makes it interesting. He definitely comes off as a politician who hasn't been corrupted by Washington yet.

To be read soon:

*The Elephant in the Room: Evangelicals, Libertarians and the Battle to Control the Republican Party - Ryan Sager

* The Conservative Soul: How We Lost It, How to Get It Back - Andrew Sullivan

*The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin - Gordon Wood

I had made a post here about it, but I'd really recommend Woodward's "State of Denial", very interesting read.

I thought the exact same thing about Obama's book. After the first chapter, I was like "Yeah, having everybody singing Kum-bay-yah and being happy with each other is a good idea but how are we going to get there, Champ?" It seems like a lot of rhetoric and little to no plans/ideas on how to get there.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
I thought the exact same thing about Obama's book. After the first chapter, I was like "Yeah, having everybody singing Kum-bay-yah and being happy with each other is a good idea but how are we going to get there, Champ?" It seems like a lot of rhetoric and little to no plans/ideas on how to get there.

And he's a democrat?! Shocking! :bang

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Atlas Shrugged was good, but I never could finish it. I got about 2/3 of the way through it and then stopped for a while. When I picked it back up a month or two later - I couldn't pick it back up without starting the whole thing over. And at a thousand pages, I wasn't having any of that.

I had the same problem with Foucault's Pendulum. Umberto Eco is one weird dude.

Last month I read Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky, The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, and Naked Pictures of Famous People by John Stewart (eclectic mix eh). While I enjoyed all three, I think I had the best time with O'Brien's book. I am currently reading a collection of Amy Hempel short stories and I am absolutely blown away. If you are a fan of Chuck Palahniuk, you MUST read Hempel (specifically At the Gates of the Animal Kingdom) . Chuck obviously did, and took notes.

I think I am going to read Timequake by Vonnegut (love Slaughterhouse-Five) next, anybody read it before?

QUOTE(pierard @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)
I think I am going to read Timequake by Vonnegut (love Slaughterhouse-Five) next, anybody read it before?

yeah. i consider it kinda a cute book, nostalgic. it's a light and, i think, fitting end to his career as a novelist. definitely not required reading though. it's good for fans but nowhere near his best work.

QUOTE(pierard @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
Last month I read Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky, The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, and Naked Pictures of Famous People by John Stewart (eclectic mix eh). While I enjoyed all three, I think I had the best time with O'Brien's book. I am currently reading a collection of Amy Hempel short stories and I am absolutely blown away. If you are a fan of Chuck Palahniuk, you MUST read Hempel (specifically At the Gates of the Animal Kingdom) . Chuck obviously did, and took notes.

I had a high school teacher compare my essays to Notes from the Underground. He was being way too flattering. Or maybe he just tried to trick me into reading the book. I really enjoyed the John Stewart book - one of the best pieces of written comedy that I've read in quite some time.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
I just started the new Bill Bryson book. The Jimmy Carter book was a quick read, and surprisingly good. Funny how much smarter Presidents get after they leave office.

Eh ... That's debatable.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
I really enjoyed the John Stewart book - one of the best pieces of written comedy that I've read in quite some time.

That book was great. Right now I am reading Passion Is a Fashion. It is a biography of The Clash.

Last time this thread was around I believe I was reading Bukowski's Ham on Rye. This time around, coincidence or not, I'm reading Post Office by Bukowski.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
I had a high school teacher compare my essays to Notes from the Underground. He was being way too flattering. Or maybe he just tried to trick me into reading the book.

If you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend it. The narrator in the book is ANGRY. I always tell any angry person I come across that if they want to be angry, they best be like that guy.

Edited by BobDylan

I'm on Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. I think it was a bigseller a few years back and I'm tragically late in reading it. I'm pretty fascinated by the restaurant industry and it's a pretty neat behind the scenes look.

Pre-ordered is Milan Kundera's The Curtain coming out next month. It looks to be a book-length essay on the history of literature and its classification and.... well I hope it's more interesting than it sounds. I do love most of his works.