The Draft To Be Televised This Year

SoxAce

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 9, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
I disagree. It's a crapshoot as is, but when you are trading the picks ahead of time and don't have a clear picture of who would even be available at the pick, it's just not worth it. If traded during the previous July deadline, a 1st round pick would have the value of a mid-level prospect. Especially considering the teams trading a draft pick in July would more than likely be buyers and their draft picks would not be top 15 where you are getting the more sure things of the draft. Also, who is going to want to wait for a traded pick to turn into something? Even the quickest guys to make the majors (other than the guys like Lincecum, Huston Street, Chad Cordero, or Khalil Greene. There's maybe 2 of those per draft and not outside the top 15) take a few years so teams would be waiting 4+ years for a player, and that's if he was a highly developed player in the draft, and actually does develop. Most teams wouldn't want to wait 4+ years for someone they have little idea who it is (or really even position). The only way I could see it working would be if teams were limited to pick for pick(s) trades on the day of the draft. Even then, most teams wouldn't want to give up 2 for 1, but I could see it happening.

In order for trading picks to work the draft would have to become more of a sure thing or development time would have to be significantly less. If players were required to go to college and the 3 year minimum was maintained I could see it possibly making sense, but that's still assuming a lot. In a fantasy world if teams were able to draft players out of, say, low A ball then I could also see it working.

As a sidenote, I would be a big fan of making players go to college. It would make longevity records harder to break because less freaks of nature would be able to debut at 20 or 21, but if the college game became stronger it would almost be like drafting out of the minors. The argument can be made that the top conferences in D1 ball are comparable to A ball of some sort, but another problem is the players need to adjust to not having aluminum bats. If they make college players use wood bats it could cut almost a year of development off of college players. For any sort of college requirement to take place MLB would have to work with the NCAA anyway.

Back to the original point, yes, it would be cool as a fan to give teams the ability to trade draft picks, but I don't think it would be better for the game.

I think it would be good for the game. Low revenue losing teams would be able to get known commodities for their question marks, which these days cost a lot of money. Or if they have an aging veteran and a team needs a little help, they can pick up a draft pick. I still don't know why the player's union wouldn't allow slotting on signing bonuses. Drafts shouldn't be based mostly on signability, besides if they slotted the bonuses and kept them reasonable, there would be more money to go towards established players. I think it makes the draft more interesting. It is a crapshoot, but a significant number of picks in the double digit rounds make it. At least its not like the NBA where if you are picking at the end of the first round and have nothing really any good available and you have a strong team, you have to give a multi-year guarantee to a stiff.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's talk about possible Sox selections.

Guys who I think will interest the White Sox:

Julio Borbon

Borbon is your prototypical leadoff hitting centerfielder that offers and exciting blend of speed, contact hitting and defense. He may never hit for much power, although scouts think he could one day swat 20 home runs a la Johnny Damon. For now he has enough power to find the gaps, and has plenty of speed to turn doubles into triples. He also handles the bat extermely well and manages the strike zone well beyond his years. He has mastered the drag bunt, and he rarely strikes out. He has enough speed to swipe 30+ bases annually, and his range in centerfield makes him a potential Gold Glove candidate. Borbon doesn't have much of an arm in the outfield, but that will be overlooked given his overall skillset. While Damon is a popular comparison, a better, yet equally unfair comparison may be Kenny Lofton. Borbon is also an excellent student and is hailed for his character and natural baseball instincts. He performed extremely well during the summer of 2006 playing for Team USA, which elevated his draft stock significantly.

Kyle Russell

Russell is a draft-eligible sophomore that has created a stir across the nation for his impressive power display. He broke Texas' single-season home run record in April when he hit his 21st dinger of the season with two months to pad his total. His power comes from a huge left-handed swing, a swing that has led to equally lofty strikeout totals, particularly last summer play in the Cape Cod League, in which he set the single season record for whiffs. While he strikes out a lot, he does have a disciplined eye, and also draws his fair share of walks. Offensively he is similar to Adam Dunn given his power, patience and strikeouts, but defensively he is a much better player. He glides easily in right field and displays a very strong arm. Draft eligible sophomores typically are harder to sign given their added leverage, but Russell may get drafted early enough in which the money is too good for his to pass on beginning his professional career.

Michael Burgess

Few players have the kind of power that Burgess displays on a regular basis. What is impressive about that power potential is that is more than just potential, as he has hit some of the best pitchers in the nation in numerous showcase events while also showing that power in games and tournaments. He generates his power with an incredibly quick bat, a bat that whips through the zone, using strong hands and wrists. He has an athletic, strong and compact body that allows him to maintain his bat control while also displaying a keen eye at the plate. On top of his power bat, Burgess has an incredibly strong arm, and has touched 94 off the mound, although he doesn't show much interest in pitching. His power/power profile makes him a perfect fit for right field, where he also has above average speed and range. Burgess hails from Hillsborough High School in Tampa, Florida, the same school that has produced big-leaguers Dwight Gooden, Carl Everett and Gary Sheffield. Burgess' bat speed is likely to draw some Sheffield-eque comparisons. He has committed to play at Arizona State.

Out of those 3, Borbon would be ideal for future leadoff man. The only thing I don't like as mentioned in that tid-bit is his arm.

Russell looks to be the type of prospect the Sox love though. Big power guy, but also K's a ton. Could be a decent RF, but he is left-handed, and I'd prefer to have a right handed thrower in RF. Here is a link for one of his homers...

http://www.bevosports.com/2006/02/12/kyle-...mer-beats-rice/

But out of the three you mentioned, I would want Burgess the most, but it doesn't look like he will sign with any team, but rather play college ball.

I also wouldn't mind Matt LaPorta.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 8, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
I wonder if teams are worried this brings more accountability to their draft selections. In the past selections were quick, on the telephone, and without much public fanfare or media attention.

Now, more than any other year, you'll have thousands more fans tuning in to watch who their team will select. Most not even familiar with one solitary name in the draft. If their team's first round selection doesn't reach the majors, experiences setbacks, etc. the criticism should naturally increase simply because more are exposed to the draft.

This will especially be true for the Top 10. I can imagine future Sportscenter pieces involving someone's fall from grace. There will inevitably be an opening shot of said person placing on a hat of whichever team drafted them.

What I enjoy the most concerning this draft is there is NO f***ing way Chris Berman is involved. In fact, ESPN would be smart to hire experienced draft writers outside their organization. Aside from Keith Law and Jim Callis, I can't think of anyone who understands what a team's needs are and whether player A or B fulfills them.

BA has a partnership with ESPN (or I think they do) so I'd imagine you'd get a lot of Baseball America coverage and thats a good thing because they are hands down great at what they do (even if there are a few flaws).

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 11, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
I want to take the best position play available, regardless of position.

I completely oppose this idea.

Look at our draft history this decade-- whatever philosophy we've been using needs to be altered. Whether that's selecting the perceived best position player available, or choosing 'safe' pitchers, it's obvioius something needs to change.

I propose selecting the player with the highest potential. And, unlike you, I'd prefer the White Sox concentrate efforts towards selecting a pitcher.

One difference this year from every draft before is the length of the compensation rounds. It is the longest in draft history at 35 selections. The second round now begins at selection #66. Our first two selections are #25 and #90. It's not going to be as simple as waiting for a particular player to fall. Our crosscheckers/scouts/whomever need to do their homework.

I'd love to see us take a risk. Perhaps select someone projected for the compensation round who has an arm, but is experiencing control problems.

How about Joe Savery? I know several of you are probably thinking "he's recovering from injury," or "he's a Rice pitcher," but this is a perfect example of taking an acceptable risk. Rice is taking it slow with his recovery, and as such, his velocity hasn't returned. If he were healthy, Savery would be Top 5 pick without question. We'd select him based upon the hope he regains form. Obviously, that'll be a problem for many; as it may never happen.

If we're destined to fail in the 1st round with whomever is chosen, I'd rather have it be someone with the possibility of reaching a potential above #4/#5 starter. Safe picks haven't worked out. Time for some people to put their asses on the line and take a risk.

Matt Latos is an intriguing name I've come across within the last several weeks. Throws 94-98, but is under control of San Diego as a draft-and-follow candidate from 2006. Likely won't accept San Diego's offer to sign him (due to rules enacted in the CBA which limit bonuses for low round draft picks), but San Diego selects two slots in front of us, anyways. If he's available, they'll probably take him.

Other pitchers who may be available at #25 I've been attempting to follow:

-Julian Sampson

-Greg Peavey (Boras client)

-Nick Tepesh

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 10, 2007 -> 06:04 PM)
Out of those 3, Borbon would be ideal for future leadoff man. The only thing I don't like as mentioned in that tid-bit is his arm.

Russell looks to be the type of prospect the Sox love though. Big power guy, but also K's a ton. Could be a decent RF, but he is left-handed, and I'd prefer to have a right handed thrower in RF. Here is a link for one of his homers...

http://www.bevosports.com/2006/02/12/kyle-...mer-beats-rice/

But out of the three you mentioned, I would want Burgess the most, but it doesn't look like he will sign with any team, but rather play college ball.

I also wouldn't mind Matt LaPorta.

Russell sounds like Joe Borchard part deux to me.

Let me preface this post by stating: I don't give a s*** about the MLB draft or its "talent" pool.

That said, I trust some of you minor league followers enough to ask the following two questions.

1) Who should the White Sox draft (realistically given their draft slot)?

2) Who will the White Sox draft?

Thanks.

Actually, I really want Borbon now. He is a Junior, so it should only take him 2-3 years to develop, and we do need a future leadoff hitter. He might not have the best arm, but if he can hit something like .310 with a .380 OBP, while hitting 10 homers, and driving in something like 60, and stealing 30-40 bases, his arm won't be that big of a problem. Especially if he plays a good CF.

Baseball America's first round projection for the White Sox.

25. WHITE SOX. Chicago has reshuffled its scouting department after some lackluster drafts, and there’s a mandate to take someone with a lot more ceiling than college righthanders Lance Broadway and Kyle McCulloch, the team’s last two first-rounders. Florida high school Michael Main fits the bill as either a live-armed righthander or a five-tool outfielder.

• Projected Pick: Michael Main.

While I wouldn't place much emphasis on Main (this draft is widely regarded as unpredictable beyond the Top 3), I'm THRILLED to hear of this new 'mandate.' It should have been adopted several years ago.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 19, 2007 -> 02:40 AM)
I'd rather stay away from high school arms in the first round, but otherwise I like the idea of going for a higher ceiling guy.

I have no preference either way. If our scouts, crosscheckers, etc. have a high school pitcher atop their list and he's available, we can't debate the merits of drafting young arms. Who are we to limit our field? We can't develop high school or college talent if the last decade is any indication.

I'd rather go with the pitcher possessing the greatest potential; regardless of experience outside of high school.

Matt Cain (2002 - 25th)

Jeremy Bonderman (2001 - 26th)

Chad Billingsley (2003 - 24th)

Philip Hughes (2004 - 23rd)

All recent high school pitchers selected around our position. If someone such as Garza (2005 - 25th) is available, then by all means hone in on them. I just hope Williams isn't restricting the available pool of talent his scouts are responsible for watching.

How would you feel about selecting Matt Latos? He is one year removed from high school (pitched for a community college; don't know immediately about the statistics), and possess a 94-98 mph fastball. I've discussed it before, as the concern with him is whether he'll accept the Padres offer as a DFE. Other problems relate to this supposed lack of maturity and competiveness, which have resulted in a drop in status.

These are the type of decisions we'll have to grapple with.

Recent article:

May 9, 2007

ATLANTA – The Padres shifted into recruiting mode yesterday, playing host to 2006 draftee Matt Latos, the right-hander whose fastball averaged 94 to 98 mph in seven scoreless, walk-free innings witnessed by General Manager Kevin Towers on April 20.

AdvertisementSan Diego is prepared to pay Latos at least $1 million, which would be a club record for a draftee chosen after the second round. Latos, chosen in the 11th round last June out of his Florida high school, had a big season with Broward Community College. If the Padres don't sign him by May 31, he potentially could be drafted in the first round next month.

It's believed that well over $1 million separates the two sides in current negotiations.

Padres manager Bud Black welcomed the 19-year-old into his office, introducing him as “Matt Latos, future Padre.” Catcher Josh Bard recommended the organization to Latos, and relief pitcher Heath Bell played catch with him in pregame warm-ups.

Latos threw about 30 pitches in the visiting bullpen at Turner Field, as Towers, Black and four Padres coaches watched. Latos appeared rusty, bouncing and sailing his pitches, but he said “he was just having fun” in his first mound session in more than two weeks and that his game performances are the best measure. Towers considered the session a fringe aspect of the visit.

“I wanted this just to be a good time for him and give Matt a chance to get a feel for the organization and what the Padres are all about,” Towers said.

Said Latos: “It was fun. How many 18-, 19-year-olds get to throw in the bullpen at Turner Field?”

Latos is 6 feet 5, but he felt diminished when Padres closer Trevor Hoffman introduced himself. “Standing next to him, he feels about 7-foot,” Latos said. “Hoffman came in and introduced himself. There was no introduction needed.”

Asked how he thinks the negotiations will play out, Latos said, “I don't know. You can't tell. The way the cards fall is the way they fall.”

EDIT: Found recent statistics:

Broward Community College: 2.03 ERA 75.1IP, 102K, 58H, 17BB

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 19, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
For Main, does he project better as a position player or pitcher?

See for men, I wouldn't go after Main simply because you know he hasn't been developed as much as he should've been by now because he's bounced around positions.

Here's a report on him. He'll probably be gone by the time we draft anyway.

Many consider Main to be the top prospect available for next year's draft from the prep ranks. He is an incredibly gifted athlete whose fastball has been clocked as high as 99 mph. Despite his high velocity readings and natural athleticism, there is some effort to Main's delivery, which leads some to believe he might be a closer down the road. However, that's not a decision that needs to be made anytime soon, and prep pitchers that can touch 99 don't grow on trees. His delivery is a little unorthodox in that he has a very slow windup before speeding up his body through his delivery with somewhat of a max effort placed on his arm. Main's breaking ball and offspeed pitches need some work, but the foundation is there. He will also need to improve his fastball command to succeed at the next level, but again, he has the foundation to be a natural ace at the highest level. When he's not pitching, Main is also a gift hitter and defender in centerfield, and could be considered a first-round pick as a positional prospect if it weren't for his special right arm.

The guys I posted are guys I could see the White Sox targeting based off recent drafts. Borbon would be the guy who truly catches my eye though.

Here's some other guys:

If you want a High School pitcher:

Alderson, Tim RHP R/R 6-7/210 High School Horizon (AZ)

Alderson helped himself the most when he retired the side in order in the fourth inning on 9 pitches for the West squad as part of the Aflac All-American Classic. He even recorded two strikeouts as part of those nine pitches, so you know he was throwing strikes. At 6'7", Alderson has a towering frame, and with a herky-jerky delivery he creates a lot of deception that makes his stuff look faster than it actually is. And his stuff is pretty good. His fastball, which offers a fair amount of sink, sits in the low-90s. He also mixes in a slider that can be very nasty at times that sits in the low-80s. That one-two punch could make him a prototypical sinker-slider pitcher, and with his size he is a similar pitching prospect to Chris Volstad, who went 16th overall in the 2005 draft, and was also an Aflac All-American. His delivery is likely to draw some red flags given his stature, but it works for him and overall doesn't seem to put any unecessary stress on his pitching arm.

For Flash, a guy who might drop because of Scott Boras. I'd take him too.

Jackson, Justin SS R/R 6-2/175 High School TC Roberson (NC)

Jackson is a true five-tool prospect who currently shines defensively. He's the type of shortstop that makes every play look incredibly easy, as he uses his plus-range to glide to balls hit to both sides of him. Soft hands and a strong throwing arm allows him to throw out the fastest of baserunners. While his bat isn't as advanced as his defense is, he shows good, natural hitting action and always seems to make hard, consistent contact, centering the ball well on his bat. That foundation leads many to believe that he could be a perennial All-Star, and one of the better all-around shortstops in baseball. He already shows an advanced knowledge of the strike zone, and has fared well against some of the top arms in the nation. He is expected to be advised by Scott Boras, so that could play into his signability next spring, but he's the best all-around shortstop to emerge from high school since B.J. Upton in 2002. He plays at the same high school as Cameron Maybin, the 10th overall pick in 2005.

Another pitcher:

Smoker, Josh LHP L/L 6-2/190 High School Calhoun (GA)

Smoker is a polished lefty that has performed very well at showcase and tournament events while playing for the esteemed East Cobb program for the past two to three years. In particular, he was named the all-tournament pitcher at the past two WWBA World Championships in Jupiter, Florida. While he is at his best carving up hitters by changing speeds and hitting his spots, his fastball has been clocked as high as 94 mph, even though he works more comfortably in the 88-91 range. He also mixes in a pretty good curveball and a developing changeup that gives him a promising three-pitch repertoire. His track record is more than proven, and scouts have had ample opportunities to see him at his best with and against some of the best players in the nation, including the Aflac All-American Classic. He has committed to play for Clemson.

And a SS who will probably move to the OF.

Frazier, Todd 3B R/R 6-4/215 College Rutgers

Frazier is the third of three brothers that played at Rutgers, with both of his older brothers currently playing in the minors. Todd is the most athletic of the three, with a prototypical big-league build at 6'4", 215 pounds. The Frazier brothers have been well known for their exploits playing for Tom's River Little League team out of New Jersey. The youngest Frazier currently plays shortstop, but his size will prompt a move to either third base or right field at the professional level. Few hitters available for the 2007 draft have Frazier's raw power potential, and he has proven to hit for power with wood during the summer of 2005 playing on the Cape Cod League, where he finished second in slugging percentage (.480) to last year's third overall pick, Evan Longoria, and also flashes his speed by legging out three triples to lead the circuit. Frazier's swing at this point in time is pretty big, as he rarely gets cheated at the plate, and it is something he will have to tone down so he's not overmatched at the next level. To his credit though, he also does a very good job working the count, and has drawn a high amount of walks at every stop he has made. He hit .366 last year as a sophomore after hitting .295 as a freshman, showing his ability to hit for contact. Given all of those skills, he is a true five-tool talent that can hit, hit for power, run, throw and play defense, once he finds the appropriate defensive home that is, like few other players can.

He has a long looping swing which doesn't bode well for the Sox if they draft him considering Greg Walker is useless.

Edited by nitetrain8601

The more I read about Burgess the more I want him. Good speed, cannon arm, good defensively, can hit for average, and has crazy power.

The guy squats over 600 lbs! And he ran the 60 yard dash under 7 seconds.

This guy is a freak.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 19, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
The more I read about Burgess the more I want him. Good speed, cannon arm, good defensively, can hit for average, and has crazy power.

The guy squats over 600 lbs! And he ran the 60 yard dash under 7 seconds.

This guy is a freak.

He's going to be a stud. The next Gary Sheffield without the problems.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 19, 2007 -> 06:00 AM)
How would you feel about selecting Matt Latos? He is one year removed from high school (pitched for a community college; don't know immediately about the statistics), and possess a 94-98 mph fastball. I've discussed it before, as the concern with him is whether he'll accept the Padres offer as a DFE. Other problems relate to this supposed lack of maturity and competiveness, which have resulted in a drop in status.

These are the type of decisions we'll have to grapple with.

Recent article:

EDIT: Found recent statistics:

Broward Community College: 2.03 ERA 75.1IP, 102K, 58H, 17BB

Latos plays for Broward? He's definitely on our radar then. That's the territory of the scout (I don't know his name) who brought us Gio, and most recently two of Latos' teammates.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 19, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
Latos plays for Broward? He's definitely on our radar then. That's the territory of the scout (I don't know his name) who brought us Gio, and most recently two of Latos' teammates.

One of those teammates was Sergio Morales. PG crosschecker listed him as one of the Top 10 draft and follow candidates from the 2006 draft.

Oddly enough, a blurb you posted May 11th on SSS concerning his signing comes up as the first search result using Google.

I know this doesn't really matter, but I heard the Cubs are between Wieters and Vitters.

It'll definitely be Vitters. Cubs have been all over him for quite awhile. He's, without question, the most polished hitter in the draft.