And That's a White Sox Loser

Gregory Pratt

Floyd hit 94 about four times tonight. Was at 91 about 85% of the time. Hit 92 a few times, and 93 a few times, but no more than ten combined. He was almost entirely at 91. (Was at the game.)

Didn't look good. Lots of outs were very hard hit. Etc. etc.

Fields good. Contreras getting better, and his velocity was creeping up. Consistently about 92-93. His other pitches were getting over well, too. He's a much better option for this team's future than Gavin Floyd except for the money, which is what I've always said. I wouldn't be surprised if he got better once he's got his wife out of his head and feels better, health-wise.

Sexson is a bad baserunner.

Discuss.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First pitch strike was non-exsistant tonight for Floyd. Plus it didn't help that the Sox blew a few chances early to get some runs. The middle of the order was just pointless today.

It was great to see Josh with the bomb off of Putz, and Jose was just great after he got loose. Contreras will be making the next start in Floyds spot if I were a betting man.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)
First pitch strike was non-exsistant tonight for Floyd. Plus it didn't help that the Sox blew a few chances early to get some runs. The middle of the order was just pointless today.

It was great to see Josh with the bomb off of Putz, and Jose was just great after he got loose. Contreras will be making the next start in Floyds spot if I were a betting man.

Contreras is scheduled to start on Sunday against the Mariners IIRC (he was already scheduled to make that start) as he will be replacing Danks for one start (Sox are going to skip Danks turn after he makes his start tomorrow).

I think Seattle is as good of a place as any for Jose to make one more start for the Sox (and hopefully have a good enough performance that the club can move him and his entire contract for a prospect).

That said, it will be interesting to see whether Gavin makes the next start. I think he will (but there is also a chance you see someone like Masset, Egbert or Sisco get a shot as well). Of course I'm saying that because unlike most I still think the Sox find a taker for Contreras before August comes to an end (I also think they'll deal Pods as well as acquire/pick up Willy Mo Pena).

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:51 PM)
Floyd hit 94 about four times tonight. Was at 91 about 85% of the time. Hit 92 a few times, and 93 a few times, but no more than ten combined. He was almost entirely at 91. (Was at the game.)

Didn't look good. Lots of outs were very hard hit. Etc. etc.

Fields good. Contreras getting better, and his velocity was creeping up. Consistently about 92-93. His other pitches were getting over well, too. He's a much better option for this team's future than Gavin Floyd except for the money, which is what I've always said. I wouldn't be surprised if he got better once he's got his wife out of his head and feels better, health-wise.

Sexson is a bad baserunner.

Discuss.

You had me until you somehow connected "Contreras" and "future". I mean, according to wikipedia, he's 135.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
fields is quickly becoming one of my favorite players

True dat!

Nice to see Contreras not suck lately. And talk about guilty pleasure. I just picked up Betancourt the other day on my fantasy team.

I really hope we let Gavin pitch enough the rest of the year to decide yes or no on him, because if he's as bad as he's looked in most of his time on the mound so far, I don't want to waste the time next season. Fields is the man, Count looking great out of the pen again is a REALLY good sign. Also, Richar had some GREAT at bats, and seperately here, when you consider the fact that we needed a solo HR (or at the least, a man on base) and Erstad entered the at bat 4 for his last 25 including leaving them loaded earlier tonight, I am confused why we didn't pinch hit Paulie for him with 2 outs in the 9th. We got what we deserved tonight though, here's to a series win against the punching bag Jeff Weaver.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
I really hope we let Gavin pitch enough the rest of the year to decide yes or no on him, because if he's as bad as he's looked in most of his time on the mound so far, I don't want to waste the time next season. Fields is the man, Count looking great out of the pen again is a REALLY good sign. Also, Richar had some GREAT at bats, and seperately here, when you consider the fact that we needed a solo HR (or at the least, a man on base) and Erstad entered the at bat 4 for his last 25 including leaving them loaded earlier tonight, I am confused why we didn't pinch hit Paulie for him with 2 outs in the 9th. We got what we deserved tonight though, here's to a series win against the punching bag Jeff Weaver.

I''ll only say this once....Paul Konerko gets full days off, he wasn't going to pinch hit (ozzie wanted to give him a rest and a full rest in baseball means you don't play at all in the game...even a pinch hit appearance). For guys that sit more often he's happy to pinch hit, but in Paulie's case you will rarely if ever see it because he takes a day off so rarely.

Hell I'm surprised Ozzie's even managing at this point, if I were running the team the only thing I'd be managing is the development of the team and whatever served me best for 2008 (and I actually think Ozzie has done a good job with that).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:28 PM)
I''ll only say this once....Paul Konerko gets full days off, he wasn't going to pinch hit (ozzie wanted to give him a rest and a full rest in baseball means you don't play at all in the game...even a pinch hit appearance). For guys that sit more often he's happy to pinch hit, but in Paulie's case you will rarely if ever see it because he takes a day off so rarely.

Hell I'm surprised Ozzie's even managing at this point, if I were running the team the only thing I'd be managing is the development of the team and whatever served me best for 2008 (and I actually think Ozzie has done a good job with that).

Fair enough, it was moreso me wanting to not see Erstad hit to be honest, hell I'd have rather seen A.J. hit for Erstad and leave Cintron on deck. I'm sure Andy can play 1st, he's done everything else. Even Uribe is a threat lately to hit the ball long. It was just a spot where with 2 outs, odds are VERY low you string together hits against somebody as good as Putz, so you want a HR threat up, that's all.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:22 PM)
You had me until you somehow connected "Contreras" and "future". I mean, according to wikipedia, he's 135.

Might be hard to deal him this offseason, and we're likely going to have him for much of the first half next year, at least.

Either way, an overage Contreras is a much better pitcher than Gavin Floyd.

I'd love to see Erstad released and Jason Bourgeois recalled from Charlotte. As a matter of fact outside of KW/Ozzie's love for Erstad I have no idea why this move has yet to be made. He brings nothing to the team, at least with Bourgeois we'd get a glimpse of a possible Cintron replacement.

I think the Sox are holding onto Erstad in the hope that they will be able to move him to a team (basically hoping that he will get on a bit of a hot streak and allow the Sox to get an A ball player for him).

If it doesn't happen you'll probably see the Sox waive him just before the month comes to an end so Erstad can at least try to stick on to some other team (regardless of what Soxtalk thinks of Erstad, the organization likes his attitude and work ethic and I think at some point or another they will let him walk with the hope that he'll be able to pick up a gig somewhere else and maybe help a playoff team).

I also agree on getting to see Jason play. He seems like he could a pretty darn solid bench player for the club (and the more of those there are, the less the odds of me seeing Andy Gonzalez or Alex Cintron next year).

I was at the game and disappointed how gavin did. he did so well in his last start it was just.. disappointing.

and it was so exciting to see the stadium ROCKING when fields hit the grand slam. i wish I could have heard hawk go crazy (i assume he did).

and honestly why is cintron and erstad on this team... just blocking development.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
I'd love to see Erstad released and Jason Bourgeois recalled from Charlotte. As a matter of fact outside of KW/Ozzie's love for Erstad I have no idea why this move has yet to be made. He brings nothing to the team, at least with Bourgeois we'd get a glimpse of a possible Cintron replacement.

The fact that Ozzie finds a way to get Erstad into the lineup every single day is the biggest reason why he needs to be gone. We make up ways to insert him into the lineup. I hope we release him but frankly, we all know hes going to be injured again soon anyways...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
I think the Sox are holding onto Erstad in the hope that they will be able to move him to a team (basically hoping that he will get on a bit of a hot streak and allow the Sox to get an A ball player for him).

If it doesn't happen you'll probably see the Sox waive him just before the month comes to an end so Erstad can at least try to stick on to some other team (regardless of what Soxtalk thinks of Erstad, the organization likes his attitude and work ethic and I think at some point or another they will let him walk with the hope that he'll be able to pick up a gig somewhere else and maybe help a playoff team).

I also agree on getting to see Jason play. He seems like he could a pretty darn solid bench player for the club (and the more of those there are, the less the odds of me seeing Andy Gonzalez or Alex Cintron next year).

Getting Jason Bourgeois an extra 15-18 games in the majors this season > some 24 year old single A reliever. Thank him for his leadership and ass-patting and let him find a new home for the final month and a half of the season. It's getting real old watching a 33 year old washed up bench player start everyday when I could be watching a 25 year old with a little bit of upside.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)

Agreed times infinity.

Once again, give Fields 550 AB's next season, watch him hit 25-28 HR next season. Really excited to see the future of Fields.

If Fields plays everyday next year and stay healthy, lock him in for 30 to 35 home runs. Paulie said last night that Fields has more power than he or Dye do (he said the only guy with more power on the team is Thome), and in our ballpark, psh. The scary part of it is the only home run I've seen Josh hit where I thought he got all of it was the one into the UD at Pittsburgh, he hasn't even scratched the surface yet.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
The fact that Ozzie finds a way to get Erstad into the lineup every single day is the biggest reason why he needs to be gone. We make up ways to insert him into the lineup. I hope we release him but frankly, we all know hes going to be injured again soon anyways...

The outfield situation sickened me from the very beginning, being forced to watch the remnants of that disaster fail time and time again in the starting lineup of a 4th place team IN THE MIDDLE OF AUGUST is getting real old.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
Dammit Gavin, come on...

We really could use this kid to grow up faster.

He just doesn't have that "it" it seems like. At least we got Gio back out of the deal and dumped Freddy and his destroyed shoulder.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

It just kinda clicked in my brain that both teams hit a grand slam tonight, that doesn't happen too often, especially in a not extraordinarily high scoring 7-6 game (although I think it might have just last night in that 16-10 Oakland game at Detroit, but still).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Gavin Floyd doesn't have it. I don't understand the need to "see him" quote as many times as possible end quote so that we can get a "good idea" of what we have in him. How many more outings like this is he allowed?

I give him until September, but I don't think he genuinely deserves it. I'd simply move Haeger into the rotation and DL Danks so as to not rush anyone and give Danks some time.

I was at the game today. When Darin Erstad made a catch in foul territory the runner on 1st tried to run to 2nd, or faked it, and Gavin was supposed to be covering the bag. He wasn't.......and it pissed me off. Sorry I don't have the names. I keep score at games, but I don't feel like going through it.

What a cocktease in the ninth though---with f***ing Erstad K on looking. You gotta protect the plate with 2 strike. WTF.

Oh well.

Ryan Howard

David Ortiz

Albert Pujols

Alfonso Soriano

Lance Berkman

Jermaine Dye

Jim Thome

Travis Hafner

Andruw Jones

Carlos Beltran

Adam Dunn

Frank Thomas

Carlos Delgado

Aramis Ramirez

Troy Glaus

Jason Giambi

Manny Ramirez

Alex Rodriguez

Paul Konerko

Bill Hall

Nick Swisher

Jason Bay

Richie Sexson

Justin Morneau

Matt Holliday

Vladimir Guerrero

Raul Ibanez

Mark Teixeira

Vernon Wells

Chase Utley

Adam LaRoche

Torii Hunter

Joe Crede

+ Prince Fielder

Is Josh Fields ready to join this list of players?