All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
I am not sure if thi shas been posted or not, but...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24844889

Why is this such a problem? I mean, I'm no Phil Gramm fan, so I'm not sure I think he's a great choice for McCain in that role. But if you are going to have people on your economics committee, then chances are, some will be current or former lobbyists - that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
Why is this such a problem? I mean, I'm no Phil Gramm fan, so I'm not sure I think he's a great choice for McCain in that role. But if you are going to have people on your economics committee, then chances are, some will be current or former lobbyists - that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

From TPM:

On the McCain/Gramm/UBS front (noted in yesterday evenings posts), it seems that not only is Sen. McCain's top economics advisor, fmr Sen. Gramm, lobby and work for UBS, but according to today's Financial Times the company is advising members of its private banking team not to step foot in the United States in order to avoid indictment.

(ed.note: In cases like this, I want to make a distinction between the particulars of the legal troubles UBS may or may not be in and the political implications for Sen. McCain. Anything tied to a big international banking concern is necessarily highly complex. And we're digging in to try to find you more on that. But as a political matter, for McCain, having your top economics advisor be the vice chairman and (until recently) lobbyist for a company telling a class of its employees to get out of the country for fear of being indicted is simply not a good thing. As I said, we're digging in on this story. But for the moment, I would caution readers to keep this distinction in mind.)

--Josh Marshall

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
From TPM:

The caveat provided there is everything. I mean, I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous stretch. We are saying that it somehow reflects badly on John McCain that one of this economic advisers lobbies for a major Intl bank, which also happens to have an arm (private banking - 100% unrelated to mortgage banking, BTW) that may or may not be under some legal scrutiny?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
The caveat provided there is everything. I mean, I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous stretch. We are saying that it somehow reflects badly on John McCain that one of this economic advisers lobbies for a major Intl bank, which also happens to have an arm (private banking - 100% unrelated to mortgage banking, BTW) that may or may not be under some legal scrutiny?

I agree. I was just posting what little detail I could find on the matter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
I'm not so sure, and in fact I think Bayh could be more useful to Obama than he is to Clinton. I think Bayh presents some nice advantages for him - Indiana then is in play, for example. Not that I think Bayh is the most likely guy, I don't, but I'd bet he's on an initial list.

I don't see Indiana in play for Obama no matter who he puts on his ticket. Hillary had a chance at it with Bayh on the ticket, but it just isn't going to happen against the GOP. And if he somehow does win Indiana, it won't matter because he will win the election by Reagan-esque proportions.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)

And let me put it into these terms... Do you really want someone shaping banking policy, who has no experience in the banking industry? That's how we get crap like Sarbines Oxley.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
I don't see Indiana in play for Obama no matter who he puts on his ticket. Hillary had a chance at it with Bayh on the ticket, but it just isn't going to happen against the GOP. And if he somehow does win Indiana, it won't matter because he will win the election by Reagan-esque proportions.

Probably. When I say "in play", I mean that an Obama/Bayh ticket makes it close in IN. Probably not a win, but a race nonetheless, and the outside chance of a win. Bayh may also help with OH.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2008 -> 07:02 AM)
Probably. When I say "in play", I mean that an Obama/Bayh ticket makes it close in IN. Probably not a win, but a race nonetheless, and the outside chance of a win. Bayh may also help with OH.

There are much better VP options if you're focused on picking up Ohio.

This si brilliant...

The Obama campaign called for unity at Saturday’s meeting, as aides said they hope avoid a “circus”-like atmosphere. Pro-Clinton protests, however, are expected outside the meeting.

“We are not encouraging our people to gather and protest,” Campaign Manager David Plouffe said in a conference call with reporters, adding this warning shot. “With a click of a mouse in the Mid-Atlantic, we could get thousands of people there. But in the interest of party unity we are not encouraging a protest. We don’t think a scene is helpful as we try to bring the party together.”

Obama takes the moral high ground and the Clinton protesters will look like assclowns.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:11 AM)

Eh? I don't really get that vibe from the media, I read an article somewhere that was saying the Hillary campaign was hostile and arrogant towards the media, so they were more forgiving to the Obama campaign for a while because he was more open. And also little anecdotal stories about how a radio show host (I forget which one) sent e-mails to both the Clinton and Obama campaigns about doing an interview, and Obama's people replied in 45 minutes, but the Clinton camp never called back. If anything, at this point, the Obama camp seems to be strictly controlling its message after the whole flap over the NAFTA thing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)

If one of the things you're stressing is independence from lobbyists, the fact that your principal adviser on the economy -- a man who helped craft your response to the subprime mess, in fact -- is working as a lobbyist for one of the banks most hurt by the subprime mess, well, I think that could raise some eyebrows. Add Gramm's record as a Senator, specifically the work that he did that enabled the Enron fiasco, I think that criticism of McCain for using him as an adviser is warranted.

Heh...

It's almost too easy, when politicians start casting matters of process as matters of principle, to catch them in contradiction, but this is a particularly good one.

Bill Clinton said in South Dakota recently that he has "never seen a candidate treated so disrespectfully just for running" and attacking a "frantic effort to push her out," adding that no one asked Ted Kennedy, Jesse Jackson or Gary Hart to end their presidential campaigns early.

The flashback in this case is to May 6, 1988, when Mike Dukakis was the presumptive nominee, though still short of the majority of delegates.

From that day's AP wire:

"Gov. Du
k
a
k
i
s
ha
s
emerged a
s
the voter
s
' choice, the clear leader in the Democratic nomination proce
s
s
,"
s
aid Ar
k
an
s
a
s
Gov. Bill Clinton, de
s
cribed a
s
the leader in the effort to round up the gubernatorial
s
upport that wa
s
announced during the day. "It i
s
time for the party leader
s
hip to unite behind hi
s
candidacy," he
s
aid.

LINK

Obama's First 100 Days

DENVER - Maybe it’s his background teaching constitutional law.

If elected president, Democratic White House hopeful Barack Obama said one of the first things he wants to do is ensure the constitutionality of all the laws and executive orders passed while Republican President George W. Bush has been in office.

Those that don’t pass muster will be overturned, he said.

During a fund-raiser in Denver, Obama — a former constitutional law professor at the University of Chicago Law School — was asked what he hoped to accomplish during his first 100 days in office.

“I would call my attorney general in and review every single executive order issued by George Bush and overturn those laws or executive decisions that I feel violate the constitution,” said Obama

Other goals for his first 100 days: work out a plan to withdraw troops from Iraq; make progress on alternative energy plans and launch legislation to reform the health care system.

*sigh*

Clinton Camp Hints at Staying in for the Long Haul

The New York Senator’s traveling press gets info on signing up for travel with the campaign through June 6.

Many have speculated that Clinton will bow out after the end of the primaries June 3.

Spokesman Jay Carson: “There are a lot of places for us to go between June 4 and November.”

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 29, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
The MSM doesn't so much "not debunk" her as it does just ignore or marginalize her.

No joke, I don't think I have seen a person outside of her camp say that she has a chance to win on TV. She is constantly mocked by just about everyone in the mainstream. I'm not sure whatelse is supposed to be done?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2008 -> 07:43 AM)
No joke, I don't think I have seen a person outside of her camp say that she has a chance to win on TV. She is constantly mocked by just about everyone in the mainstream. I'm not sure whatelse is supposed to be done?

Its funny, it looks to me like their recent tactic has been to play both sides of that fence. They run articles saying its over, and they start to focus on Obama v McCain... but at the same time, their pundits will talk about how Puerto Rico is Clinton's last chance. She still has a chance?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 30, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
Its funny, it looks to me like their recent tactic has been to play both sides of that fence. They run articles saying its over, and they start to focus on Obama v McCain... but at the same time, their pundits will talk about how Puerto Rico is Clinton's last chance. She still has a chance?

About as much chance as I have of going to the Oscars with Scarlett Johanssen. It's not very likely.

QUOTE (Mplssoxfan @ May 30, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
About as much chance as I have of going to the Oscars with Scarlett Johanssen. It's not very likely.

But if you could find a way for it to drive big time ratings for CNN, MSNBC, and Faux News...then you've got a shot.