8/25 Gm. 1 - SOX vs./@ BAL, 5:05 CT, CSN

knightni

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
Horacio Ramirez is starting the first game

Ugh, why? We have Carrasco or Thornton in the pen. With Richard on the mound in game 2 and CQ up in the bottom of the inning, we should be doing everything we can to get 3 quick outs. Instead, we're putting a guy on the mound who's been giving up about 2 hits per inning.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
Ugh, why? We have Carrasco or Thornton in the pen. With Richard on the mound in game 2 and CQ up in the bottom of the inning, we should be doing everything we can to get 3 quick outs. Instead, we're putting a guy on the mound who's been giving up about 2 hits per inning.

correct lol

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
Well Horacio has a good opportunity today to show that he is to be trusted as big time reliever for us.

Lets hope he can have a good inning, but they are sending up some good hitters. Huff has been great this year...

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
The fact we're pitching Ramirez instead of Thornton makes me think that Thornton asked for another day off. That's the only possible reason I could think of.

That's EXACTLY why the Sox should've called up Broadway instead of activating Crede. We could've easily been able to go a couple days with one less fielder until it's time for call-ups.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
The fact we're pitching Ramirez instead of Thornton makes me think that Thornton asked for another day off. That's the only possible reason I could think of.

Maybe they figure they're more likely to want him in the 2nd game?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
Maybe they figure they're more likely to want him in the 2nd game?

Here's my thinking though...this is like the top of the 9th in a home game where you pitch your closer to give yourself a chance at the win. If Ozzie wants a lefty on the mound, then I don't think there's any question Thornton is your guy. We'll have Jenks and Dotel available later tonight anyways. I just hate using our worst reliever in such a big situation.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
Here's my thinking though...this is like the top of the 9th in a home game where you pitch your closer to give yourself a chance at the win. If Ozzie wants a lefty on the mound, then I don't think there's any question Thornton is your guy. We'll have Jenks and Dotel available later tonight anyways. I just hate using our worst reliever in such a big situation.

Yeah, it could theoretically be an incredibly easy win. Throw the best option out there first.