• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:20 AM)
Trump might as well win the presidency. It's our last-ditch hope for an economic recovery even though he is way too cocky for some old guy. I mean Hilly isn't going to fix the economy. Trump would maybe fix it and at the very least give us a lotta laughs.

Besides higher paying jobs, what in the macro-us economy needs fixing?

- Unemployment near decade lows

- Stock market near decade highs

- Home values increasing

- Trade Deficit at yearly lows (http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/04/us-economy-trade-idUSKCN0ST1T420151104#7mm4TJsxiUpiAzjg.97)

- US Auto Sales are rocking (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/business/while-us-car-sales-jump-vws-plunge.html?_r=0)

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 05:27 PM)
Besides higher paying jobs, what in the macro-us economy needs fixing?

- Unemployment near decade lows

- Stock market near decade highs

- Home values increasing

- Trade Deficit at yearly lows (http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/04/us-economy-trade-idUSKCN0ST1T420151104#7mm4TJsxiUpiAzjg.97)

- US Auto Sales are rocking (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/business/while-us-car-sales-jump-vws-plunge.html?_r=0)

Copper Futures have crashed

Oil has crashed

Junk bonds have crashed

ISM manufacturing contracting

Velocity of money is the lowest since mid 2008

You have successfully predicted 142 of the last two recessions though

Eta and aren't cheap commodities prices, especially for things as widely used as copper and oil, good for the overall economy? And are junk bonds usually any sort of indicator of the overall economy?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)

Eta and aren't cheap commodities prices, especially for things as widely used as copper and oil, good for the overall economy? And are junk bonds usually any sort of indicator of the overall economy?

They are good for the economy, but a sign of weakness in the economy typically. I would say in this specific example a oil is being hit by more external forces and isn't going to be exhibiting typical behavior because of the supply war going on, and the decade of the 2000's push to drill as much as possible all coming together at once in the last year or so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
They are good for the economy, but a sign of weakness in the economy typically. I would say in this specific example a oil is being hit by more external forces and isn't going to be exhibiting typical behavior because of the supply war going on, and the decade of the 2000's push to drill as much as possible all coming together at once in the last year or so.

Strong dollar is not good for oil.......Nor emerging markets.....I think the big indicator is corporate debt and Corporate bonds....When that mkt starts to dry up then all bets are off...Cannot engineer fake earnings

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
Strong dollar is not good for oil.......Nor emerging markets.....I think the big indicator is corporate debt and Corporate bonds....When that mkt starts to dry up then all bets are off...Cannot engineer fake earnings

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)

Dollar has been a part of the fall, but the supply fundamentals are way more important here.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
Opec intentionally keeping supply high to ward off other sources ie north American shale oil right?

Not OPEC - specifically Saudi Arabia and a couple other Gulf countries, who have enough cash to afford to do so, are flooding the market with cheap supply. Other OPEC nations that don't have those kinds of reserves are NOT happy about it, there is a rift growing in OPEC. But yes, the main goal of the Saudis is to shake off shale oil in US, Canada and a couple other countries jumping into that. Plus a nice side effect of slowing down efforts and desire for alternatives. Then they'll bring supply back down later.

Yet another reason why alternative energy should really be a priority in this country. National security and risk abatement.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
Not OPEC - specifically Saudi Arabia and a couple other Gulf countries, who have enough cash to afford to do so, are flooding the market with cheap supply. Other OPEC nations that don't have those kinds of reserves are NOT happy about it, there is a rift growing in OPEC. But yes, the main goal of the Saudis is to shake off shale oil in US, Canada and a couple other countries jumping into that. Plus a nice side effect of slowing down efforts and desire for alternatives. Then they'll bring supply back down later.

Yet another reason why alternative energy should really be a priority in this country. National security and risk abatement.

Yeah OPEC can't agree on anything right now. Saudi Arabia is sick of being the one who does the cutting and no one else, so they refused to cut unless not only the OPEC nations cut, but places like Brazil and Russia as well... which aint happening.

But yes, the goal is to crush competition Rockefeller style, price undercutting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
Dollar has been a part of the fall, but the supply fundamentals are way more important here.

I am referring to the world economy. Oil is priced in dollars. So too is all the debt the emerging markets have floated.

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 02:15 AM)
Obama just called ISIS thugs. #racist.

I think Obama refers to them as ISIL. Also he's not racist because he refuses to say "radical Islam" ever. He won't blame the religion at all. What's his deal?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
I think Obama refers to them as ISIL. Also he's not racist because he refuses to say "radical Islam" ever. He won't blame the religion at all. What's his deal?

"That does not mean denying the fact that an extremist ideology has spread within some Muslim communities. This is a real problem that Muslims must confront, without excuse. Muslim leaders here and around the globe have to continue working with us to decisively and unequivocally reject the hateful ideology that groups like ISIL and al Qaeda promote; to speak out against not just acts of violence, but also those interpretations of Islam that are incompatible with the values of religious tolerance, mutual respect, and human dignity."

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:00 PM)
So this has nothing to do with Islam? Seems to me we are pretty weak in being afraid of the PC police on this one.

It has to do with certain forms of radical Islam. But it would be moronic to go out and blame Islam generally, thus pissing off non-radical Muslims.

Who is going to watch the debate on Tuesday? I skipped the last one, but with Trump going full-idiot since that one I am curious to see which candidates are willing to call him out on it and in what way. I don't really care what he says, but what the others around him say. Also curious to see how Cruz does with his more prime slot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
So this has nothing to do with Islam? Seems to me we are pretty weak in being afraid of the PC police on this one.

[insert President or Presidential Candidate]: "Christianity is to blame for the recent [insert one of many terrorist attacks led by Christians]. Christianity is the root of this problem and we should block all Christians from entering this country. If you are a Christian then you support terrorism. It is imperative that we keep our country safe by refusing entry to anyone who finds Jesus Christ as their lord and savior."

Yup, just a PC move.

I keep hearing Cruz has had a master plan and is the frontrunner now. To any Republicos out there ... I have yet to study Cruz. Is he good? Could he beat my nemesis, Hilly? Is he the one who wants to get rid of the IRS? That would be cool.

Can Cruz beat Hilly? For those of you who read my rants, is he the type of guy Greg will get excited bout?

I keep hearing Cruz has had a master plan and is the frontrunner now. To any Republicos out there ... I have yet to study Cruz. Is he good? Could he beat my nemesis, Hilly? Is he the one who wants to get rid of the IRS? That would be cool.

Can Cruz beat Hilly? For those of you who read my rants, is he the type of guy Greg will get excited bout?

Cruz can't beat Hillary. I'm not sure anybody can beat Hillary, but Rubio has the best chance. Possibly Christie.