2009 interleague schedule

WhiteSoxfan1986

So there was something in the trib about next year's interleague schedule, though it isn't official yet.

Home-Dodgers, Pirates, Cubs

Road-Reds, Brewers, Cubs

All I can say is, what the f***? The Pirates for the fourth straight year! The Doders for the second year in a row, and the reds for the second time since 2006? I wouldn't hate interleague as much if the same teams didn't play each other every year. At least we get the Brewers.

played the mets at home.....i went to al leiter vs. sirotka (i think).....Piazza hit a bomb IIRC and tony graffanino hit a HR and drove in the only 2 runs for the sox...and they won 2-1

we also played the braves in ....04 i think....the year before jaret wright went to FA...he carved us up at home....and i thought for sure we were gonna sign him that offseason...

thats a pretty favorable interleague schedule i think...then again, any national league schedule is rather favorable

EDIT: that mets game couldn't have been sirotka, he was gone by then...looked it up, it was danny wright in 02, and piazza didnt HR he drove the run in on a double

Edited by daa84

I'll be going to Cincinnati for all 3 and Milwaukee for 1 or 2.

Thanks, WSF1986!

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
I think they played them at the Cell in 2002, but I don't remember us ever going to Shea.

We have- I went that year and Piazza signed a baseball for me.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
All I can say is, what the f***? The Pirates for the fourth straight year! The Doders for the second year in a row, and the reds for the second time since 2006? I wouldn't hate interleague as much if the same teams didn't play each other every year. At least we get the Brewers.

I'm guessing it was a 2 and 2 year deal we signed with Pittsburgh- we played them in 2006 and 2007 at home, and will be playing them next year and we already played them this year.

We also played the Dodgers in 2005- AJ hit that walkoff HR to left-center on 1959 night.

We played in Cincinnati in 2006, too- we swept. Remember Garland hit the HR in the 3rd game??

We played in Milwaukee in 2001 or 2002, too.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)
Would like to see them play the Nationals. Last time they played them, they were located in Montreal. ;) Neal Cotts ripped a double in one of the games.

That was the series Arnie Munoz made his start and gave up 11 runs. After the game Ozzie said "He only had one bad inning". :)

QUOTE (TLAK @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 07:19 AM)
That was the series Arnie Munoz made his start and gave up 11 runs. After the game Ozzie said "He only had one bad inning". :)

Despite losing that game, that was one of the most entertaining games, with all the runs that scored. I remember DJ and Hawk were pretty loony that game as well.

QUOTE (griffey17 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:07 AM)
I agree interleague does suck....except for playing the Cubs....every team should play the closest

rival 6 games and call it good.

This interleague schedule sure does suck. No real marqee match ups and too many repeats from the previous couple years. Cant MLB get a little more unique, lame.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
So there was something in the trib about next year's interleague schedule, though it isn't official yet.

Home-Dodgers, Pirates, Cubs

Road-Reds, Brewers, Cubs

Looks like 18 easy wins to me.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
Despite losing that game, that was one of the most entertaining games, with all the runs that scored. I remember DJ and Hawk were pretty loony that game as well.

IIRC, Orlando Cabrera had a walkoff hit against the Sox the next day.

Why can't MLB do something like the NFL does, with rotating divisions, but still factor in their rivalry series? Interleague is lame enough as it is, it may as well make sense.

They did around 2001-2002. Not sure why they changed it. I usually use interleague as an excuse to travel to a new ballpark (San Diego, Cincy.) Looks like I'll have to make a trip to Seattle, Toronto, or Tampa Bay. f*** the Pirates.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
Why can't MLB do something like the NFL does, with rotating divisions, but still factor in their rivalry series? Interleague is lame enough as it is, it may as well make sense.

They should I think the problem is the NL Central having too many teams to make that work and the AL West not having enough, also the fact the the Sox-Cubs, Mets-Yankees, Dodgers-Angels, and Giants-A's each have to play each other twice, that throws a wrench in the system. The only way to make that work would be to expand interleague play even more to about 21 games a season, 2 series against your "rival" and 5 against the division that you are facing that season.