Saufley

Scott Rolen

QUOTE (Saufley @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)
Anyone hear Rolen for Javy rumor? thoughts?

haven't heard it...im not opposed to rolen...hes on the wrong side of 30 but i think hes only got a year or so left on his deal....hes always a stud in the field (if healthy) and has decent on base and slugging abilities (esp. in our park)...certainly fits KWs grinder mode

I don't like Javy, never did, but I wouldn't trade him for Rolen. While at one time he was quite a player, he makes too much cash, plays too infrequently and doesn't play anywhere near the level he once played. It would be like signing Joe Crede but doubling his salary.

Where did the rumor come from? Rolen hasn't played a full season since 2006 and would be a down grade, looking forward, from Fields. I'd rather have Javy.

Rolen is on his last legs. His shoulder is extremely weak now. That would be a terrible trade. A deal of Javy for Glaus would make a lot more sense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
Rolen is on his last legs. His shoulder is extremely weak now. That would be a terrible trade. A deal of Javy for Glaus would make a lot more sense.

No juicers please.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
No juicers please.

I guess we can't go after Brian Roberts then...Glaus' extra base numbers were fantastic last season considering his slow start and suckiness vs the Cubs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
I guess we can't go after Brian Roberts then...Glaus' extra base numbers were fantastic last season considering his slow start and suckiness vs the Cubs.

Frankly, no I don't really want Roberts, and that's a big part of my reasoning.

Glaus had good yr. Now will see if he can match that. Rolen is hurt and thats not getting younger. I rather have a vasquez as our 4th starter than bring in all or nothing hitter who keeps getting hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
No juicers please.

I really don't want to turn this thread into where this post could take it, but Balta, your smart enough to know some of your favorite players were/are still juicers. Just because a handful of guys were named in a report doesn't mean they are the only ones out there.

Rolen has 2 years and $26M remaining on his deal ('09:$11M, '10:$11M + $4M bonus, the Cards agreed to pay the bonus but there's no guarantee that money would be included in any deal with the Sox) and has missed, on average, 2 months per season due to injury over the past 4 years. That's really all you need to know about Scott Rolen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)

I'm a Glaus fan, and I have a really, really hard time saying an .855 OPS wouldn't be welcome in the lineup, but I really don't think the offensive game Glaus brings is what this team needs.

Anyone given any thought to the Sox trading Javy to the Rockies for Atkins? I think Atkins would be a good fit for this team. Haven't really looked at his numbers or salary, but just a quick thought that came into my head.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 12:00 AM)

Plus I think he got the boot from Tony Larussa for not being a team player

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 06:38 PM)
Anyone given any thought to the Sox trading Javy to the Rockies for Atkins? I think Atkins would be a good fit for this team. Haven't really looked at his numbers or salary, but just a quick thought that came into my head.

Javy has a NTC to West Coast clubs

Atkins should not be considered. He's mediocre defensively and his OPS on the road in his career is .752, and he was not really that good last year anyways (to go along with a road OPS of something along the lines of .660 or something).

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
Plus I think he got the boot from Tony Larussa for not being a team player

Yes because Tony LaRussa of all people should be judging the character of others. He's not a scumbag or anything.

QUOTE (Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)
Javy has a NTC to West Coast clubs

I wonder just how many times this will have to be said before Javy is traded.