* Takashi Saito, Scott Proctor, Yhency Brazoban, Angel Berroa

* Clay Hensley and Charlie Haeger

* Chris Britton and Justin Christian

* Tim Redding

* Chris Capuano

* Kevin Cash

* Chuck James

* Chris Burke, Robby Hammock, Wil Ledezma, Jeff Salazar

I'd really like to see Capuano/Cabrera come in and compete for a starting gig. Wouldn't mind Saito or Nelson in the bullpen, either. And possibly Redding or James if they'll take a minor league deal. I'd stay away from most of the position players before (though the Taveras rumors will be inevitable).

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
What's the deal with Scott Procter?

He was awful and hurt for LA last year, but who knows?

Also, Justin Christian would probably be better in center than Owens or Taveras (at least at the plate, don't know about his defense).

I'm not saying the Sox should get all these guys, but if I had to pick from among the list from the original post, these are the players I would narrow my options down to:

* Joey Gathright,

* Jamie Burke,

* Daniel Cabrera,

* Ty Wigginton,

* Reggie Abercrombie,

* Charlie Haeger,

* Tim Redding,

* Wil Ledezma,

I think Joey Gathright is due for a breakout season and I can see him having the potential to steal bases similar to Scott Podsednik.

It'd be nice to bring Jamie Burke back, and I'd prefer having him as the back-up catcher instead of Corky Miller.

Daniel Cabrera would be nice only if we can send him to triple-a if he messes up. He might be worth a flyer.

I think Ty Wigginton would be great as the super-sub that we've been lacking. He can play infield positions as well as the outfield. We can play him at different positions in the lineup and give other players a day off every once in a while. Just picture him as a super hybrid of Alex Cintron/Rob Mackowiak when it comes to positions he can play. Having Wigginton and Betemit would answer ALL of our utility needs along with an extra outfielder such as Wise.

Reggie Abercrombie has a lot of potential, I remember him hitting MAMOTH flyballs while playing for the Marlins,... except they ended up being fly-outs. If the Cell is smaller than Dolphin stadium, then those flyouts would've been home runs.

I think it'd be nice to have Charlie Haeger back, but I think he'll just be lost in the shuffle and remain in obscurity in Charlotte.

Tim Redding pitched good last year for the Nationals against tough teams such as the Braves, Phillies, and the Mets. Even though we don't have room for him, I think I would trust him as the #4 starter instead of Marquez. Tim Redding is probably the prototypical back-of-the-rotation pitcher for most teams.

We need another lefty reliever to go along with Matt Thornton and whoever ends up in the bullpen between CR/AP. Without another veteran lefty in the bullpen, Ozzie might have to go to Thornton more than he has to, we don't want Thornton to have to ask for days off again this year, do we? Either way, we'll have to find a lefty reliever somewhere, even if it doesn't end up being Ledezma.

The Sox can not start the year without a legit leadoff hitter and at least one more starting pitcher. So, if they got Willy Taveras to play CF and Daniel Cabrera would address those needs and make it less of a priority to trade Dye for a pitcher. Burke would be better than Corky.

That said, it would still be nice to add Furcal to leadoff and or trade Dye for Bailey and sign Abreu. But adding Taveras and Cabrera and Taveras would put the Sox in a better bargaining position IMO.

Pipe dream master plan lineup

Furcal SS

Abreu RF

TCQ LF

Thome DH

Konerko 1b

Alexei 2b

AJ C

Fields/Benemit or Viciedo 3b

Taveras CF

Blazing speed and lethal power

MB

Danks

Floyd

Cabrera

Bailey

with Count, Marquez, CR/AP potentially there to fill in for anyone who does not live up to expectations, fill in for injury, or bolster the pen.

Bench

Benemit 1b,3b

Anderson OF

Getz IF

Armstrong/Burke/Corky/Stewart C

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 12:25 PM)
The Sox can not start the year without a legit leadoff hitter and at least one more starting pitcher. So, if they got Willy Taveras to play CF and Daniel Cabrera would address those needs and make it less of a priority to trade Dye for a pitcher. Burke would be better than Corky.

That said, it would still be nice to add Furcal to leadoff and or trade Dye for Bailey and sign Abreu. But adding Taveras and Cabrera and Taveras would put the Sox in a better bargaining position IMO.

Pipe dream master plan lineup

Furcal SS

Abreu RF

TCQ LF

Thome DH

Konerko 1b

Alexei 2b

AJ C

Fields/Benemit or Viciedo 3b

Taveras CF

Blazing speed and lethal power

MB

Danks

Floyd

Cabrera

Bailey

with Count, Marquez, CR/AP potentially there to fill in for anyone who does not live up to expectations, fill in for injury, or bolster the pen.

Bench

Benemit 1b,3b

Anderson OF

Getz IF

Armstrong/Burke/Corky/Stewart C

If Furcal is signed, Taveras won't be. If Taveras is signed, Furcal won't be.

If Furcal is signed, Alexei would move to CF with Getz/Lillibridge filling in until Beckham comes up. If Taveras is signed, the infield will stay the same.

I guess my point is: Kenny is NOT stupid enough to block Gordon Beckham by signing both Taveras AND Furcal.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
If Furcal is signed, Taveras won't be. If Taveras is signed, Furcal won't be.

If Furcal is signed, Alexei would move to CF with Getz/Lillibridge filling in until Beckham comes up. If Taveras is signed, the infield will stay the same.

I guess my point is: Kenny is NOT stupid enough to block Gordon Beckham by signing both Taveras AND Furcal.

Taveras would only be a one year deal with an option. Beckham can play 3rd. DH will be open after next year and Viciedo could play first or DH. It could be done. Taveras can be had relatively cheaply so get him. Furcal will be much more expensive If they can get Furcal, I would hope they would. If they can not get Furcal then, they will have a potential leadoff hitter in Taveras who can steal 68 bases.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
Taveras would only be a one year deal with an option. Beckham can play 3rd. DH will be open after next year and Viciedo could play first or DH. It could be done. Taveras can be had relatively cheaply so get him. Furcal will be much more expensive If they can get Furcal, I would hope they would. If they can not get Furcal then, they will have a potential leadoff hitter in Taveras who can steal 68 bases.

Are you forgetting about Fields or just not including him in our plans? Just wondering.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
Are you forgetting about Fields or just not including him in our plans? Just wondering.

I see Fields getting traded. He strikes out too much and his defense is suspect. He has also had some sort of clubhouse issue. I could be wrong and he seems like a nice guy who could hit a lot of homeruns. Just my gut feeling as a student of KW.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
I see Fields getting traded. He strikes out too much and his defense is suspect. He has also had some sort of clubhouse issue. I could be wrong and he seems like a nice guy who could hit a lot of homeruns. Just my gut feeling as a student of KW.

Ahhh, I see. I'm not much of a fan of Fields myself, but I still think Kenny is penciling him in at 3B at this point. I don't think that will change either unless Viciedo proves a ton in ST, which would then make a Fields trade imminent, IMO.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)

I don't think there was ever really an issue, he just said at a Christian Athlete conference one time that there are certain things that some guys on the team do that he doesn't really agree with. Then the quote was taken way out of context by the media at yahoo. I don't agree with my coworkers when they smoke weed or get blowjobs for money, but that doesn't mean we don't get along great most of the time at work.

Fields also has striked the good graces of Guillen this offseason by calling him and asking if he could workout near ozzie in Florida to rehab.

Edited by Markbilliards

I don't want Beckham at 3rd, that makes it a wasted pick.

He is appealing at 2B/SS because he looks like he'll have a huge OBP and above average power.

He'd be going from a All-Star caliber MI to an average 3B.

Furcal OR Taveras, not AND.

Edited by Jimmywins1

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
I don't want Beckham at 3rd, that makes it a wasted pick.

He is appealing at 2B/SS because he looks like he'll have a huge OBP and above average power.

He'd be going from a All-Star caliber MI to an average 3B.

Furcal OR Taveras, not AND.

Why not AND? Furcal batting leadoff and at SS, Taveras in CF batting 9th. Thats a s*** ton of speed you'd be adding to the lineup, and it keeps pressure of Taveras as well. Thats certainly better than Span/Gomez* 1 and 9...

* Yes, I know, thats unless you're asking Hawk.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
I don't think there was ever really an issue, he just said at a Christian Athlete conference one time that there are certain things that some guys on the team do that he doesn't really agree with. Then the quote was taken way out of context by the media at yahoo. I don't agree with my coworkers when they smoke weed or get blowjobs for money, but that doesn't mean we don't get along great most of the time at work.

Fields also has striked the good graces of Guillen this offseason by calling him and asking if he could workout near ozzie in Florida to rehab.

I hope you are right. The word I heard that might have made KW nervous was quit. If Fields thought of quitting, that might make him too risky for KW. I admire his religious convictions and wish him well. Maybe he could take over for Paully next year with Paully moving to DH. Viciedo looks to be some tough competition for him.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)
Who cares? I'd NEVER take a flier on a guy who's had TWO Tommy John Surgeries.

the two surgeries aren't an issue.

The poor mechanics which lead to the surgeries are the issue.

Hey, I didn't see his name mentioned anywhere, but according to the Detroit Tigers' website, Aquilino Lopez was non-tendered. I thought he was a dependable pitcher for Detroit, does anyone think he can improve on what he did last year? Or is he a flash in the pan?

However, we probably don't need another righty in the bullpen, unless we try to find someone to take Wassermann's spot or something.

Just thought I'd pass along the info...

Edited by SouthsideDon48

Seems the Sox have interest/ may have contacted free agent Willy T., per the Denver Post. The Reds have had the most interest, looking for Willy to leadoff and play CF. If the Reds are barking about paying all of Dye's salary, they won't get in a bidding war over Willy. The Nats have like 5 OFers. If the sox want him, they should be able to spend the most on him.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_11227465?source=rss

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 01:40 AM)
Hey, I didn't see his name mentioned anywhere, but according to the Detroit Tigers' website, Aquilino Lopez was non-tendered. I thought he was a dependable pitcher for Detroit, does anyone think he can improve on what he did last year? Or is he a flash in the pan?

However, we probably don't need another righty in the bullpen, unless we try to find someone to take Wassermann's spot or something.

Just thought I'd pass along the info...

Wow, last year they were thinking of making him their closer for this year. Wonder what happened. I remember he had pretty good stuff. Also, Wassermann didn't and doesn't have a spot on this team, unless someone gets injured. He really fell out of favor with the ChiSox this past year, I wouldnt be surprised to see him let go/wasting away in AAA/traded in a minor deal.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
Reggie Abercrombie has a lot of potential, I remember him hitting MAMOTH flyballs while playing for the Marlins,... except they ended up being fly-outs. If the Cell is smaller than Dolphin stadium, then those flyouts would've been home runs.

Have you ever glanced at his statsheet? He's got no potential whatsoever.

I'm not sure that A. Lopez was really ever in consideration as a closer. He was pretty decent with the Blue Jays...but never as someone that would/could be considered the rival of either Rodney or Zumaya in terms of raw stuff and strikeout ability.

Don't forget, we not only have Nunez, we also the Jimenez signing (former Blue Jay set-up guy with a power arm), too. Lopez won't get much consideration by KW.

Edited by caulfield12