ST Game: 3/01 Sox @ Dodgers - 2:05 pm CST

joejoesox

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
Brandon Allen is an athlete! The kid really reminds me of a Lance Berkman/type, decent wheels, big pop, and can hold a reasonable average. When this kid was drafted his weight was a major concern, but he's just filled out for the better.

I take it as you're referring to his leaping catch on the Santos error? I like Allen, I think he's going to put up some nice numbers at the ML level next year.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
I take it as you're referring to his leaping catch on the Santos error? I like Allen, I think he's going to put up some nice numbers at the ML level next year.

No, he's referring to his speed on the bases.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Harrell as a bullpen arm.

He's a good kid, good sense of humor, overall nice guy. When he's on, he's on.

I was impressed with Beckham, Allen, and Harrell.

I think Brandon Allen will make a nice addition to the major league roster someday, he has some good speed and he looks like he has a good eye for the ball.

I also hope to soo Franklyn German on the major league team sometime this season.

1) I think they might have to take Lillibridge as the back-up (even if he's not starting in CF or 2B) because it's obvious Betemit can't be trusted at SS.

2) Nix has really come to play...maybe it will work out like Quentin (change of scenery/outlook), he's about the same age, even though he's been around forever seemingly because he was a draftee out of HS.

3) Was nice to see/hear Corky gun down a runner...when's the last time that happened? He also had a double. This whole race with Corky, Stewart and Armstrong will have lots of twists and turns, and I wouldn't rule out KW picking up someone that's been cut the last 7-10 days either.

4) Seems like Owens or Wise will be the one to go...DJ was arguing that Owens should put a .375.-385 OBP to be effective, but the reality is that the most we can realistically hope for is .270-.280 with a .350 OBP. One of many major concerns with Owens is he just doesn't get on base consistently...he's super streaky, at least he was in 2007. He's not the sort of player who seems like he has the ability to get on base 15 games in a row at this point in his career.

5) Beckham and Viciedo have impressed enough so far to make themselves part of the conversation for Opening Day, but it's still a long ways to go and Viciedo will need to prove he can field bunts and make that running, sidearmed, off-balance throw coming in towards the plate. He has the arm, but does he have the athleticism as a fielder? We'll soon find out. I'm sure Cora is working on that with Fields and Viciedo everyday. He apparently needs to work even more with Betemit, who almost made 3 errors.

Hopefully Owens is playing himself off the majorleague roster. It would be nice having Brian Anderson start in CF to begin the season and carry all 3 of lillibridge/Getz/Betemit. I kinda liked Nix the moment we aquired him, but admittingly I was a Laynce Nix fan too.

Couple of observations:

- The new facility looks freaking sweet. I would love to see it in person someday.

- Jerry Owens is f***ing USELESS

- Dayan looked a bit overmatched at the plate today, but is definitely built like a tank.

- Who in the blue f*** was that guy who took over first from Paulie? And in no way is he 32.

- I think it will come down to Nix and Lillibridge for second. Wish I could have seen Brent this game.

- I really hope Brandon Allen isn't traded at some point this season.

- Beckham will be on the big club in July, if not before...

- German and Restovich could be WWF Tag Team Champions.... Big Boys....

- For any cool stand-up comedy fans out there, Brody Stevens was sitting behind home plate toward the end of the game. Saw him several times...

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
Bryan Myrow, a former Padred farmhand and yeah, i think he might be 33.

That's a rough 32...

Allen should have been in the whole time.