5/5 Game Thread ➔ Sox @ Royals

Heads22

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 6, 2009 -> 03:05 AM)
Watching Alexie bat this season has been putrid. . Our pitching has been pretty bad. . The Royals have the best all around team in the central i hate to say. . .

The Tigers have best all around team, but KC's really solid. Their bullpen is fantastic...good thing for the AL Central they don't have a 5th starter.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
Watching Alexie bat this season has been putrid. . Our pitching has been pretty bad. . The Royals have the best all around team in the central i hate to say. . .

Nah, it's the Tigers. Better linup BY FAR and much better pitching.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 6, 2009 -> 03:06 AM)
This is the key here. He's a stupid baseball player.

Disagree, he was one of our smartest hitters last year. He's just struggling right now, and he's trying to hit an 8 run homer every AB. It's real simple...he's opening up so early, it's disgusting. Stay closed, and he'll start hitting a lot of the pitches he's not close to hitting.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
This is the key here. He's a stupid baseball player.

Yes, but according to many people on this board it isn't the hitting coaches job to do anything.

The thing that drove me insane about tonights game was Ozzie doing absolutely nothing creative when Getz and Pods were up later in the game. According to Hawk all Ozzie b****ed about was not having any options off the bench or speed.

He could have done multiple things like pinch run or hit lilibridge for a bunt or have Getz or Pods try a bunt, but instead he just let them flail away at the ball.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
Disagree, he was one of our smartest hitters last year. He's just struggling right now, and he's trying to hit an 8 run homer every AB. It's real simple...he's opening up so early, it's disgusting. Stay closed, and he'll start hitting a lot of the pitches he's not close to hitting.

Disagree, he saw a lot of hittable pitches last year because the league wasn't ready for him. The league has responded, and he isn't smart enough to respond himself

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 6, 2009 -> 03:08 AM)
Yes, but according to many people on this board it isn't the hitting coaches job to do anything.

The thing that drove me insane about tonights game was Ozzie doing absolutely nothing creative when Getz and Pods were up later in the game. According to Hawk all Ozzie b****ed about was not having any options off the bench or speed.

He could have done multiple things like pinch run or hit lilibridge for a bunt or have Getz or Pods try a bunt, but instead he just let them flail away at the ball.

I'm more upset he let Alexei hit in the 9th. Wright, with his heavy slider repetoire, has to be one of the worst match-ups in the AL for Alexei. At this point, there really is no reason in the world to have Betemit on the roster. He can't back-up Fields/Konerko it seems, so get rid of him and get a better defensive player.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 6, 2009 -> 03:10 AM)
Disagree, he saw a lot of hittable pitches last year because the league wasn't ready for him. The league has responded, and he isn't smart enough to respond himself

It doesn't take a full year for the league to change their approach. Those changes started around August after he started hitting.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
how the f*** is that Ozzies fault? Cause our hitters are terrible situational hitters right now and our pitchers s*** themselves? f***

Ramirez and Getz struck out four times in the last three innings while Nix and Betemit sat on the bench.

He did not pinch hit once for hitters that looked lost up there.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 6, 2009 -> 02:22 AM)
Ramirez and Getz struck out four times in the last three innings while Nix and Betemit sat on the bench.

Why would he ph for Getz? Coming into tonight, he was easily the hardest guy on the Sox to strike out. I hope the case is everyone's trying hard to get the big hit, and that's causing unnecessary pressure.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
The Tigers have best all around team, but KC's really solid. Their bullpen is fantastic...good thing for the AL Central they don't have a 5th starter.

Not necessarily. Luke Hochevar is pitching really well in AAA. He should take Ponson's spot soon.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)

right, I understand giving them an opportunity but after numerous failings you have to try something different

In spring we had all this excitement for our Cuban bunch. And this is what we are seeing:

Alexie Ramirez: .214 Avg with an OBP of .264.

Jose Contreras: 0-4 with an ERA of 8.31.

Dayan Vicedo is hitting .220 with an OBP of .229. in Double A Birmingham.

Its time to start thinking about sending Alexie down and have him work on hitting a damn off speed pitch. Jose shouldn't have even started the season with the major league roster. Vicedo i am least worried about because he is so young and has pleanty of room to grow.

I'm starting the "BRING UP Beckham-Poreda combo platter" Petition. Let me know if you want in!

Gordon Beckham: .293 with an OBP of .381. He has 15 extra base hits and 11 RBI in 92 ABs.

Aaron Poreda: Coming off a 5 inning No hitter has an ERA of 1.92 with 28 K's in just 27.1 innings. This guy is getting better and better. I would much rather him take some bumps up in the majors rather than watch another disastrous performance by Contreras.

I've seen enough of Lance Broadway to last a lifetime. I certainly don't have the trained eye of a pro scout, but what the hell could anybody have seen in this guy to take him with your one and only first-round pick? It's going to take a while to undo the damage that wasting back-to-back first-round picks on him and McCulloch have done to our farm.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
I've seen enough of Lance Broadway to last a lifetime. I certainly don't have the trained eye of a pro scout, but what the hell could anybody have seen in this guy to take him with your one and only first-round pick? It's going to take a while to undo the damage that wasting back-to-back first-round picks on him and McCulloch have done to our farm.

hopefully the 4 picks this year help, especially if they take a major run at a signability guy who fell

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)

15 Lance Broadway Texas Christian U RHP R/R 6'4" 190 1983-08-20 4YR 56K | 350K

COMMENT: Slender frame. Trim look. Rounded shoulders. Similar to Justin Duchscherer. Aggressive w/ FB, occasional avg velocity, control both sides of plate. Spiked CB, 12-6 break. Uses natural 3/4 CB as off speed. Command of both pitches. Fields position well.

Players taken after him: Devine, Ellsbury, Garza, Rasmus, Volstad

29 Kyle McCulloch U Texas Austin RHP R/R 6'3" 185 1985-03-20 4YR 350K

Comments: Became Texas' Friday starter last year and helped it win the national championship by going 12-4. He started slowly in 2006, but finished strong. He has been able to get the fastball up to the low-to-mid 90s to go along with a plus breaking ball, but it's his knowledge of pitching that really makes him intriguing.

Players taken after him: Joba, Chris Perez, Cardenas

Looks pretty s***ty In hindsight eh?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)

What makes things worse is the 2005 draft may very well go down as one of the best ever, yet we ended up with Broadway.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
15 Lance Broadway Texas Christian U RHP R/R 6'4" 190 1983-08-20 4YR 56K | 350K

COMMENT: Slender frame. Trim look. Rounded shoulders. Similar to Justin Duchscherer. Aggressive w/ FB, occasional avg velocity, control both sides of plate. Spiked CB, 12-6 break. Uses natural 3/4 CB as off speed. Command of both pitches. Fields position well.

Players taken after him: Devine, Ellsbury, Garza, Rasmus, Volstad

29 Kyle McCulloch U Texas Austin RHP R/R 6'3" 185 1985-03-20 4YR 350K

Comments: Became Texas' Friday starter last year and helped it win the national championship by going 12-4. He started slowly in 2006, but finished strong. He has been able to get the fastball up to the low-to-mid 90s to go along with a plus breaking ball, but it's his knowledge of pitching that really makes him intriguing.

Players taken after him: Joba, Chris Perez, Cardenas

Looks pretty s***ty In hindsight eh?

His stuff flat out sucks. I realize that drafting players is inexact and all. But god damn. Epic fail there. Broadway is the kinda guy you draft in the 10th round. Not the first.