Books Thread

BobDylan

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 24, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Freakanomics and Post-American World are sitting on our end table. I'm debating whether or not to start either.

The Post-American World is a great read! Zakaria is a brilliant guy.

The book is a smidgen outdated I suppose, because it was published shortly before this depression or recession or whatever it is, but most of what he says still is pretty relevant.

I'd definitely recommend it.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 20, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
Muldoon was supposed to be the premiere big game hunter in the world too, which makes his death in the movie a little more comical with him getting trapped by the Raptors using the "focus on one while the others close in from behind" hunting method.

I cant recall how he died in the book, but I think it was a little more graphic

He didn't. He did, however, shoot a T-Rex with a rocket launcher. Which would have been far more badass on screen, then getting punked by a, "clever girl."

QUOTE (knightd1 @ May 24, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
If your into zombie material, I suggest the Walking Dead series. They are graphic novels.

Also, are there any Christopher Moore readers? He has a new book that came out called "Fool" was wondering if any has read.

I really enjoy Christopher Moore but I have not had a chance to pick up his new one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 24, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
The Post-American World is a great read! Zakaria is a brilliant guy.

The book is a smidgen outdated I suppose, because it was published shortly before this depression or recession or whatever it is, but most of what he says still is pretty relevant.

I'd definitely recommend it.

I've really enjoyed the stuff I've seen him with on television.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
The first two or three were good, then they just got really really weird.

Yeah I made it through the first Harry Keogh series, but couldn't get into the space opera aspect of the vampire planet and the battle between Harry's sons. Maybe I'll get back to them one day and try again.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 29, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
I wonder what the hell happens to John at the end of the book.

The title fits perfectly. The book reads like Joe R. Lansdale hanging with H.P. Lovecraft and discussing the old hardboiled detective novels. Wacky stuff for sure!

I've been reading lots of Val McDermid lately. She's a detective/mystery writer in the tartan noir genre. I love love love murder mysteries, Rex Stout, Sam Spade, Hercule Poirot, John Rebus. McDermid is pretty solid. I've read a couple of her Tony Hill series (he's also in the BBC series Wire in the Blood). They are solid. Also read her A Place of Execution. Really well crafted thriller. I am not sure if it was predictable, or if I've read too many mysteries to be surprised by endings but I figured out what happened in the end. But damn, it was still a great book.

When I move I plan on re-reading Rankin's entire Rebus series--probably my all time favorite detective.

QUOTE (Pods70Rowand33 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 07:12 AM)
I recently purchased A Briefer History of Time. Have you read A Brief History of Time?

No, I haven't and I was going back and forth on which I should get and I went with Briefer.

QUOTE (Pods70Rowand33 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
Two of my friends and I are doing a mini book club. We are reading The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I've read good reviews on it, so it should be good.

The Last Lecture was really good. I would also suggest that after you read it you should watch the actual lecture that he gave online. It will only add to it.

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
No, I haven't and I was going back and forth on which I should get and I went with Briefer.

The Last Lecture was really good. I would also suggest that after you read it you should watch the actual lecture that he gave online. It will only add to it.

I read some reviews, and people said that Briefer is easier to understand. Good choice. Do you read a lot of physics books?