Is Sammy a Hall of Famer???

southsider2k5

Sammy in or out of the Hall?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you vote Sammy Sosa into the Hall of Fame if you had a vote?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was angrier.

"It's really sad. Really sad." Guillen said. "We all should be embarrassed. No matter how you put it, you're not going to win. Every other week or every two weeks or whatever we have to talk about this or somebody out or another player. I think whoever's name is out there just bring it up and deal with it for one day and we don't have to sit here everyday.

"We need to get it over with. Get those names out there. Whoever is guilty is guilty, whoever is not is not. Let baseball deal with it once and then move on. Every month we seem to talk about somebody and it's not a good thing. It's not healthy for the game."

Link

Anyone who gets busted needs to have their numbers 'inelligible' for any awards/records.

Take Giambi's MVP award and give it to the guy in second...Frank.

Henry Aaron needs to be the homerun leader again...and Roger Maris the single season leader.

So glad FRank is clean...and if his name comes out, I will be very sad.

Edited by tonyho7476

The media looks really bad on this guy as sosa was a complete product of steroids and the media never even bothered to question it. Bonds had a similar type frame and got huge but he was always a good hitter and there was always talk about him. sosa for whatever reason was given the benefit of the doubt. If Hineybird wanted to make a name for himself that wouldhave been the way to do it.

The brown paper bag with cash in it was never really as issue.

McGwire was a good home run hitter and he had the testro thing.

sosa was always given a freee pass.

The cork thing should have kept him out in my opinion along with the suspicion.

Even if Sosa wasn't on steroids, I really don't think he deserved the hall.

Yes, he has 600 some home runs, I understand that.

But are we all to the point that we have to count home runs to elect people into the hall to begin with?

You might think Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa are comparable in their numbers.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Hell, you might think that Sosa would be a bit better, if not a similar type hitter to Frank in terms of numbers.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Sammy Sosa is about as good as Jim Rice in terms of his hitting skills. He hits a lot of bombs, but he's never been a guy to take a walk because he did not have good plate discipline nor a good batter's eye.

That's something both McGwire and Thomas possessed and that's why they're considered much better hitters than Sosa. Thomas is actually a better power hitter than Sosa as well, he beat Sosa out in slugging% by about 20 points. McGwire is better than both Thomas and Sosa, but he had no chance of getting in to begin with. Some people were actually leaning on voting Sosa into the hall before this steroid incident.

Steroid incident or no steroid incident, I really don't think Sammy's numbers are all that great.

His OPS+ is 28 percent lower than Frank's, yet people say Frank isn't a first ballot Hall of Famer. Like that makes any sense.

The more names come out, the better the chance they get into the HOF. Why? Because otherwise, they won't have anyone to elect. It will get to the point that it will either have a new wing...or an asterisk...or something. But, what players is the BBWAA going to elect? Beside Frank, Thome and Jr....who?

What I'm kinda excited about is the return of hitters. Hitters like Olerud, Grace, Palmeiro before he started steroids, Gwynn. Just good hitters. Guys you want to watch hit. The only one I can think of off the top of my head int he game right now is Ichiro. Maybe Kendrick, when he's good and I know he was shipped down to AAA.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
Last week, Sammy "retired" from the game and said that now he was just gonna sit back and wait to get elected to the Hall in 2013...

Now all of a sudden, his positive drug test gets "leaked" to the media and made public...

Coincidence?????

I imagine a lot of this is from a pretty vindictive lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...

Missed this while we were out.

Appearing on the "Waddle & Silvy" show on ESPN 1000, Sandberg was asked whether Sosa belongs in the Hall of Fame. "I don't think so," he said.

"They use the word 'integrity' in describing a Hall of Famer in the logo of the Hall of Fame, and I think there are gonna be quite a few players that are not going to get in," Sandberg said. "It's been evident with the sportswriters who vote them in, with what they've done with Mark McGwire getting in the 20 percent range.

"We have some other players ... like [Rafael] Palmeiro coming up soon, and it'll be up to the sportswriters to speak loud and clear about that. I don't see any of those guys getting in."

Sandberg and Sosa were Cubs teammates from 1992 to '94 and again in '96 and '97.

"I was around Sammy for about five years before I retired, and there wasn't anything going on then," Sandberg said. "I did admire the hard work he put in. He was one of the first guys down to the batting cage, hitting extra. I figured he was working out hard in the offseason to get bigger. It was just happening throughout the game, that even myself was blinded by what was really happening, maybe starting in the '98 season.

"I think it's very unfortunate. I think suspicions were there as they are with some other players. Those players are now put in a category of being tainted players with tainted stats. I think it's obviously something that was going on in the game. Players participated in it and, as the names have come out, I think that they will be punished for that."

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
When was that?

Reggie Jackson was a second ballot HOF'er and is comparable to sosa in my opinion.

Don't tell me about October because Jack Morris is the best October player in the last forty years.

Actually, when he played with the Cubs. He was a damn good doubles hitter. A bit stronger than Mark Grace.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Actually, when he played with the Cubs. He was a damn good doubles hitter. A bit stronger than Mark Grace.

Grace has also been pretty vocal in his opinion of Sosa's HOF chances. And unlike Ryno, it's pretty obvious that he never liked Sosa.