THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll put updates on here as the 1st round picks are called. Mods, if you mind, please let me know.

And so the fun begins.

#1. Washington Nationals - Stephen Strasburg, RHP, San Diego State University

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
You know whats weird? I just found the MLB network on my Comcast programming, and flipped it on, then I looked and realized it was smack dab in the middle of the HD channels(I dont have an HD tv) and immediately hit guide to find the normal channel.

Except for some odd reason, MLBHD is working for me. Whats up with that?

They only broadcast in HD, no simulcast in regular defintion like a lot of channels.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
They only broadcast in HD, no simulcast in regular defintion like a lot of channels.

Yeah, but the low def channel works if you don't have a high def TV.

The piped in clapping after every draft pick is awful.

Mizzu guys might collapse. Gibson and Crow would be there when the Sox pick, Goldstein is hearing Gibson is out of the 1st round. However, with the prep demands it could get interesting. Also, it isn't just the top prep guys but apparently teams have been talking and guys slated in the 2-5 rounds are also asking for a lot more than expected. This could get really interesting and we might seeing more talent going in the 10-20 rounds due to guys falling for signability reasons than ever before. Hell we might see the 15th round having more talent than the 7th round, for example.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
3. Padres Donovan Tate OF Cartersville High Georgia

Also a football player who signed with UNC.

Tate would have probably gone to Oakland at 13, otherwise he'd have been long gone. Pads are going to shell out some dough to sign him, probably takes 4-5M, he's asking for 6.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
Tate would have probably gone to Oakland at 13, otherwise he'd have been long gone. Pads are going to shell out some dough to sign him, probably takes 4-5M, he's asking for 6.

It took 6M to sign 4 of the top 5 last year, and I think it will at least take that much to get Tate. He and Boras love UNC and Tate's dad was a pro, so money isn't an issue. Now it will be interesting to see where another UNC commit, Jacob Turner ends up.

I really hope the Sox realize the talent Crow is and take him if he slips that far. Mid-high 90s fastball with great control and blew away the Cape Cod league. I don't understand why 4 million is too much for him.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Jacob Marisnick tweeted that if you had a Facebook page, one organization wouldn't draft you. Weird.

Also, someone needs to be quicker at waking up Bud Selig.

Hopefully it isn't the Sox.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
I really hope the Sox realize the talent Crow is and take him if he slips that far. Mid-high 90s fastball with great control and blew away the Cape Cod league. I don't understand why 4 million is too much for him.

Couldn't agree more. Money for young guys shouldn't be a factor, as you're talking about 3 years of extremely cheap contracts for them before arbitration.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)

The best part is how he commands his fastball. That will allow him to be a very sucessful big league starter as well as enable him to move through the minors quickly. Him or Scheppers would fit in great with Danks/Floyd/Richard/Poreda/Buehrle (obviously that is 5 guys, but injuries happen and some guys don't pan out or move to the pen).

Are the Tigers really going to end up passing on Crow? Atlanta is going to make a f***ing atrocious pick in Minor. Not because Minor is bad, but because Minor doesn't have much upside and really is a #3 starter at best. You don't use a top 10 pick on a guy with #3 in the rotation upside.