Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 9, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
I would f***ing love an Android phone, but I'm not allowed to get one. :(

$440 gets you a Galaxy Nexus, unlocked (from Google too). If you have the money, you ARE allowed to get one (assuming you have a GSM carrier).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 15, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
$440 gets you a Galaxy Nexus, unlocked (from Google too). If you have the money, you ARE allowed to get one (assuming you have a GSM carrier).

This means I wouldn't have to get a data plan? That's the only reason I'm not allowed to get a smart phone, the requirement of a data plan.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
This means I wouldn't have to get a data plan? That's the only reason I'm not allowed to get a smart phone, the requirement of a data plan.

You are only required to get a data plan if you get a subsidized phone...otherwise you don't have to tell them what kind of phone it is...just stick your already activated sim in it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
You are only required to get a data plan if you get a subsidized phone...otherwise you don't have to tell them what kind of phone it is...just stick your already activated sim in it.

Yup, don't let the wireless companies tell you what you have to get.

I have 200 MB and it's more than enough. If you don't have a data plan at all, don't worry. You can have the phone never jump on a data network by giving it an incorrect or no APN settings.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
Yup, don't let the wireless companies tell you what you have to get.

I have 200 MB and it's more than enough.

I personally use more than 200mb, and that's while spending 99% of my time on WiFi. I easily use a few hundred megs a day on WiFi alone, and on cellular I use another 600-800 per month.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
I personally use more than 200mb, and that's while spending 99% of my time on WiFi. I easily use a few hundred megs a day on WiFi alone, and on cellular I use another 600-800 per month.

I really never download anything on 3G unless I have to. I would like to have more (I'd say 300-400 is a good number), but I don't see a real need for it. I hear Straight Talk is giving 2 GB a month with unlimited minutes for $45 a month (no contract and I think I get to keep my phone number), I might go there after I milk some money out of my phone upgrades. Hehehe.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)

What do you mean, "subsidized phone"? Because a couple months ago I took my brother old HTC Aria phone and put my sim card in it, and was immediately billed for a data plan. AT&T said as soon as the sim card is put in a new phone, the information is sent to AT&T and if it's a phone that requires a plan, then a plan is automatically added to the account. I had even turned off internet on the phone as soon as I turned it on so that way no data would be used, and I also didn't sign in to any Google account, and they still billed me.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
What do you mean, "subsidized phone"? Because a couple months ago I took my brother old HTC Aria phone and put my sim card in it, and was immediately billed for a data plan. AT&T said as soon as the sim card is put in a new phone, the information is sent to AT&T and if it's a phone that requires a plan, then a plan is automatically added to the account. I had even turned off internet on the phone as soon as I turned it on so that way no data would be used, and I also didn't sign in to any Google account, and they still billed me.

That is total crap.

T-Mobile's never done that to me. You simply disable the APN settings. If the phone can't get on a data network, then they can't charge you for anything. Doing so otherwise is horrible practice.

Phones cost around 500-600 factory unlocked. That's just how it goes since wireless providers need to give customers an incentive to sign a horrible 2 year contract with them. So to make everything look more appeasing, they "subsidize" the phone's cost to a 100-200 dollar range so people can afford the phone and their outrageous rates.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 15, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
That is total crap.

T-Mobile's never done that to me. You simply disable the APN settings. If the phone can't get on a data network, then they can't charge you for anything. Doing so otherwise is horrible practice.

Phones cost around 500-600 factory unlocked. That's just how it goes since wireless providers need to give customers an incentive to sign a horrible 2 year contract with them. So to make everything look more appeasing, they "subsidize" the phone's cost to a 100-200 dollar range so people can afford the phone and their outrageous rates.

Trust me, we argued over the phone to them that 0 data was used, and 0 data will ever be used, and they said it's company policy that all smartphones require a min. $15 mo. data plan. I even asked if i could "pay per use" with the data since the whole idea of that plan is supposedly to "save people from spending too much data", and they said NO.

And the worst part was, when they added the data plan on automatically to our bill, they charged us for the higher end $25 plan, not the minimum $15 plan. Assholes.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 15, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
I can only imagine what the long way of saying Sprint is then...

"Better than AT&T?"

Seriously don't know, but can't stand AT&T. It's on my list of companies I'll be dumping when i move next.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
Trust me, we argued over the phone to them that 0 data was used, and 0 data will ever be used, and they said it's company policy that all smartphones require a min. $15 mo. data plan. I even asked if i could "pay per use" with the data since the whole idea of that plan is supposedly to "save people from spending too much data", and they said NO.

And the worst part was, when they added the data plan on automatically to our bill, they charged us for the higher end $25 plan, not the minimum $15 plan. Assholes.

Well, that would be a good time to switch, early termination fee or not.

Honestly, going contract-less these days is a great idea if you don't have to get phones for an entire family.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
"Better than AT&T?"

Seriously don't know, but can't stand AT&T. It's on my list of companies I'll be dumping when i move next.

I had Sprint before AT&T, and while their service is good, their customer service is brutal...they make AT&T seen like the American Express of cellular carriers.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 15, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
Can anyone fill me in on the current state of knowledge surrounding next iPhone release?

I've read it'll be in October...supposedly Qualcomm will be manufacturing the LTE chip and is struggling to produce according to Apple's schedule.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 15, 2012 -> 11:39 PM)
I had Sprint before AT&T, and while their service is good, their customer service is brutal...they make AT&T seen like the American Express of cellular carriers.

I haven't dealt with their wireless customer service much, but "Brutal" pretty accurately describes most of my other interactions with ATT customer service as well.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 21, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
Does anyone have a Kindle Fire?

Do you like it?

My wife has a Kindle Fire. It's a pain in the ass, so buggy. She's on her 2nd one already (only had the thing 5 months).

I have the Nook Tablet, and it is 10x more reliable (and has the bonus microSD card slot).