Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

My wife and I have one and I haven't see a bug yet. Occasionally an app will shut down for no reason, but I get the same thing on my phone. For $200 it's a great little device to read books, surf the web and watch netflix/hulu/prime movies/tv shows.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
My wife has a Kindle Fire. It's a pain in the ass, so buggy. She's on her 2nd one already (only had the thing 5 months).

I have the Nook Tablet, and it is 10x more reliable (and has the bonus microSD card slot).

Screw the Fire OS crap, flash that s*** to 4.0.

AOKP FTW. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1614004

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 21, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)
Screw the Fire OS crap, flash that s*** to 4.0.

AOKP FTW. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1614004

Yeah, this is my wife. This means she's a woman. This means the last thing she wants is to have her device hacked.

Trust me, my Nook Tablet has been hacked since day 3. It's awesome - completely open, yet still works and looks like a NT.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
Yeah, this is my wife. This means she's a woman. This means the last thing she wants is to have her device hacked.

Trust me, my Nook Tablet has been hacked since day 3. It's awesome - completely open, yet still works and looks like a NT.

Haha, oh yeah, I didn't think about that. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 21, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
My wife and I have one and I haven't see a bug yet. Occasionally an app will shut down for no reason, but I get the same thing on my phone. For $200 it's a great little device to read books, surf the web and watch netflix/hulu/prime movies/tv shows.

This. I don't have problems with it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
I had Sprint before AT&T, and while their service is good, their customer service is brutal...they make AT&T seen like the American Express of cellular carriers.

A couple years back Sprint compeltely revamped its customer service department. The few times I've needed them, they have been great to work with.

I tried the new S-Voice app (Siri-like app by Samsung) that comes with the new Galaxy S III today. Surprisingly, it works pretty well. It leaked the other day and you'll have to do some modifications to your phone (you need root) to run it properly.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)

Someone doesn't understand IPO's. Once a company enters a lock up, they are not allowed to make any forward statements about the company's financial situation. The CEO of I want to say Groupon (or maybe Linkdin) got in trouble for this a while back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
Someone doesn't understand IPO's. Once a company enters a lock up, they are not allowed to make any forward statements about the company's financial situation. The CEO of I want to say Groupon (or maybe Linkdin) got in trouble for this a while back.

Amazon kind of got in trouble with that as well.

Groupon may be rebounding a bit because of their latest financials, but because of that IPO I stayed away from facebook's.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
Amazon kind of got in trouble with that as well.

Groupon may be rebounding a bit because of their latest financials, but because of that IPO I stayed away from facebook's.

The underwriters here are the ones who could be in trouble. Releasing info to only certain traders is a big time no-no, and even more so if the people receiving the information knew it was material non-public information, and traded off of it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
What does flash support have to do with posting here? And mobile flash is dead...Adobe killed support for it. So expect fewer and fewer things to bother supporting it, such as they already are.

I just saw this. I am assuming that like my school's internal site several of the menus and features use flash. So when trying to post here, quick post works but not the full feature post.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
The underwriters here are the ones who could be in trouble. Releasing info to only certain traders is a big time no-no, and even more so if the people receiving the information knew it was material non-public information, and traded off of it.

That is, of course, what Morgan Stanley is being alleged to have done.

(Of course, cynical viewer of Wall Street that I am, I might feel the urge to ask how often they pull tricks like that under the table and don't get caught, if they're happy to break the rules on one of the biggest, most public, most widely covered IPO's in a long time).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
That is, of course, what Morgan Stanley is being alleged to have done.

(Of course, cynical viewer of Wall Street that I am, I might feel the urge to ask how often they pull tricks like that under the table and don't get caught, if they're happy to break the rules on one of the biggest, most public, most widely covered IPO's in a long time).

There is nothing stated about the recipients of the information knowing it was MNPI.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
There is nothing stated about the recipients of the information knowing it was MNPI.

The first part of your decription, releasing information to select traders, is what the investment bank is alleged to have done, not sure if I wasn't clear on that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
The first part of your decription, releasing information to select traders, is what the investment bank is alleged to have done, not sure if I wasn't clear on that.

The fun part will be to see if MSCO can prove any kind of public dissemination.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)

Could the investors this may have been told to be reasonably expected to be unaware it was MNPI?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 23, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Could the investors this may have been told to be reasonably expected to be unaware it was MNPI?

I know all emails, chats, etc are recorded on trade desks. The overwhelming odds are that the phone calls are also recorded, but that is not compulsory, though most firms do it for liability in trading errors sake. Depending on what was said, the SEC/FINRA could determine that it was reasonable for the person receiving the knowledge to think it was MNPI, which tey are forbidden to trade on if they believe that is the case. Saying something like "I saw on Bloomberg..." would give a clear impression that it is public knowledge, which would leave the trader no reason to believe it was MNPI. If they said something more like "It is going to come out tomorrow that..", the impression becomes that the information is NOT public, and therefore illegal to trade off of.

For the purposes of Insider Trading, this is a massively important distinction. If you never hear about this case again after this immediate news cycle, it probably ends up being the former. If traders are charged, it means it was the latter. Odds are the trades will be broken either way, but the difference will be what happens to the traders afterwards.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 23, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
I just saw this. I am assuming that like my school's internal site several of the menus and features use flash. So when trying to post here, quick post works but not the full feature post.

Theres actually an adobe script that runs from time to time on this site and it craps out and freezes your page. It must be in the adds at the top.

All of these recent IPO's are a sure sign of .COM 2.0's arrival.

LinkedIn: Current Price: 97.70 (Giving them a P/E Ratio of a massive 603.76)

Groupon: Current Price: 12.05 (No P/E ratio, as they make no money, and are currently losing .33 cents per share)

Facebook: Current Price: 32.20 (Giving them a P/E Ratio of 103.06)

Q: What is P/E ratio?

A: A valuation ratio of a company's current share price compared to its per-share earnings.

In short: The P/E is sometimes referred to as the "multiple", because it shows how much investors are willing to pay per dollar of earnings. If a company were currently trading at a multiple (P/E) of 20, the interpretation is that an investor is willing to pay $20 for $1 of current earnings.

A "fair" P/E ratio is usually in the 10-20 range (give or take). Even companies like Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Exxon and Google trade in that range.

If Apple was trading at the P/E ratio of Facebook, it would be trading at $4,227 per share.

If Apple was trading at the P/E ratio of LinkedIn, it would be trading at $24,766 per share.

That is how insanely overvalued those companies are.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
All of these recent IPO's are a sure sign of .COM 2.0's arrival.

LinkedIn: Current Price: 97.70 (Giving them a P/E Ratio of a massive 603.76)

Groupon: Current Price: 12.05 (No P/E ratio, as they make no money, and are currently losing .33 cents per share)

Facebook: Current Price: 32.20 (Giving them a P/E Ratio of 103.06)

Q: What is P/E ratio?

A: A valuation ratio of a company's current share price compared to its per-share earnings.

In short: The P/E is sometimes referred to as the "multiple", because it shows how much investors are willing to pay per dollar of earnings. If a company were currently trading at a multiple (P/E) of 20, the interpretation is that an investor is willing to pay $20 for $1 of current earnings.

A "fair" P/E ratio is usually in the 10-20 range (give or take). Even companies like Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Exxon and Google trade in that range.

If Apple was trading at the P/E ratio of Facebook, it would be trading at $4,227 per share.

If Apple was trading at the P/E ratio of LinkedIn, it would be trading at $24,766 per share.

That is how insanely overvalued those companies are.

cfc8725fc26d30dba714871abcbca77f.png

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
cfc8725fc26d30dba714871abcbca77f.png

P/E's can be higher for short periods of time, but they usually and quickly normalize, as shown in that chart, but even so...in comparison to those companies listed, it would take LinkedIn and Facebook, combined, about 5 years to make what Apple makes in a single quarter (and I'm talking profit, not revenue).

Even with that said, the P/E ratios in that chart, even at their HIGH's were half of Facebooks current, and about 1/6th what LinkedIn is currently at.

As I said, these new .com's are vastly overvalued.