Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
Anyone use a iPad browser with flash support? Any recommendations?

These are all workarounds, as it's not natively supported...that said, even native support is short term since Adobe has abandoned mobile flash.

There is some program people once used to do this but I don't remember the name if it. :/

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
I am concerned as to how self-driving cars will deal with snow. Perfect or rainy conditions are one thing. Snow is a whole other.

If you have a car with a newer AWD system chances are that its making a lot of decisions about power to gripping wheels versus non-gripping wheels. A computer will keep a further distance from other cars and can make emergency decisions without human stupidity. I'd probably prefer the electronic car.

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
If you have a car with a newer AWD system chances are that its making a lot of decisions about power to gripping wheels versus non-gripping wheels. A computer will keep a further distance from other cars and can make emergency decisions without human stupidity. I'd probably prefer the electronic car.

I wasnt really thinking about the basics of driving. I'm sure it'll do a better job than most humans about that. I'm more concerned about when the car spins out of control.

I am hopeful. I'd love to own one someday

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 06:43 AM)
We have software craches too. We just call it: eating while driving, texting, putting on makeup, driving under the influence

That's not software crashes, that's stupid crashes.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
strokes/heart attacks

That would be hardware related. :)

A human software crash would be something more akin to feinting or a blackout...or a seizure.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 06:02 AM)
Got the new iPad for an early b-day gift. Long car drive on Thursday to Arizona so it will come in handy.

It's really nice. I had an iPad2 but rarely, if ever, used it...I basically bought it for reading and watching news, videos, music, etc...because I just don't care for the e-ink Kindle crap, as I want to be able to do more...but I never used it. I traded up to the iPad3 and I actually use it all the time now...the screen is just so crisp and clear that it's no longer a bother on my eyes to read.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)
It's really nice. I had an iPad2 but rarely, if ever, used it...I basically bought it for reading and watching news, videos, music, etc...because I just don't care for the e-ink Kindle crap, as I want to be able to do more...but I never used it. I traded up to the iPad3 and I actually use it all the time now...the screen is just so crisp and clear that it's no longer a bother on my eyes to read.

I'm seeing a real increase of people in meetings using them (usually w/ the case with the integrated keyboard) even though our company purchases Dell laptops for employees. I have one, and I bring my iPad instead of the laptop almost everywhere I go, while the Dell sits underneath my desk and never gets used.

I'm sure Apple has studied this extensively, but one would think if they would just strike a deal with Microsoft (who is honestly not much of a threat to them anymore) to preload iPads with an Apple version of Office, they would get a lot more corporate sales...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm seeing a real increase of people in meetings using them (usually w/ the case with the integrated keyboard) even though our company purchases Dell laptops for employees. I have one, and I bring my iPad instead of the laptop almost everywhere I go, while the Dell sits underneath my desk and never gets used.

I'm sure Apple has studied this extensively, but one would think if they would just strike a deal with Microsoft (who is honestly not much of a threat to them anymore) to preload iPads with an Apple version of Office, they would get a lot more corporate sales...

I can tell you this, Apple is making great inroads to the corporate market with these...every executive in my company uses them now (Blue Cross Blue Shield). There mere mention of using an Apple product on our corporate network a few years ago was laughable...now it's all they want to use.

They just use the Apple version of office, iWork for the iPad...it can read MS documents and write/save into that format, then email or dropbox them to each other quite easily. The thing they REALLY like about it is that we put Apple TV's in all the conference rooms, and they can wireless stream whatever is on their iPad screens to the projector, while remaining mobile (being able to walk around with the iPad)...they REALLY like that, especially because on their end, it requires NO configuration.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
I can tell you this, Apple is making great inroads to the corporate market with these...every executive in my company uses them now (Blue Cross Blue Shield). There mere mention of using an Apple product on our corporate network a few years ago was laughable...now it's all they want to use.

Yeah, I am seeing more and more users, even though much of the time I am around government or quasi-government employees (not exactly what you'd call "early adopters").

The two markets I see them expanding into within the next 5 years, schools and the corporate market, are going to push that stock price into 4 digits...

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)

They just use the Apple version of office, iWork for the iPad...it can read MS documents and write/save into that format, then email or dropbox them to each other quite easily. The thing they REALLY like about it is that we put Apple TV's in all the conference rooms, and they can wireless stream whatever is on their iPad screens to the projector, while remaining mobile (being able to walk around with the iPad)...they REALLY like that, especially because on their end, it requires NO configuration.

What is your experience with iWork? We use a ton of Excel spreadsheets...does their spreadsheet program import and export from and to Excel well?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
Yeah, I am seeing more and more users, even though much of the time I am around government or quasi-government employees (not exactly what you'd call "early adopters").

The two markets I see them expanding into within the next 5 years, schools and the corporate market, are going to push that stock price into 4 digits...

It might...but I see Apple at a crossroads of sorts at this point...the yearly upgrade cycle is over now...people aren't so quick to trade up from older models anymore since it's to the point that their phones/tablets are like PC's now...newer models feature nothing more than minor spec bumps at this point...there isn't much more they can do with their screens/resolutions to make people say wow, I really need that.

Now that they are beginning to enter the 'newer model is nothing more than a minor spec bump' era, their sales will begin to peak/slow. I think this is the year Apple will peak in those terms before people simply stop upgrading just to have the newer models that look nearly identical the older models, and don't really do much more.

Apple has grown to the point that keeping that growth at the same rate it's at is going to become next to impossible, and in order to truly justify the stock price, their PE ratio has to keep stride...and it won't be able too, eventually.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 07:00 AM)
What is your experience with iWork? We use a ton of Excel spreadsheets...does their spreadsheet program import and export from and to Excel well?

My coworkers say no but I haven't tried it first hand.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
Now that they are beginning to enter the 'newer model is nothing more than a minor spec bump' era, their sales will begin to peak/slow. I think this is the year Apple will peak in those terms before people simply stop upgrading just to have the newer models that look nearly identical the older models, and don't really do much more.

The 4S was only a moderate upgrade on the iPhone4, but it pushed Apple to their best quarter ever.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)

I have iWork on my iMacs at home, and yes, it imports/exports them just fine. There are probably some super advanced features of Excel that 0.00000000001% of the world uses or knows exists that iWork won't be able to handle, but I've never seen anything that didn't work.

Apple has some info on it here: http://www.apple.com/iwork/compatibility/

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
The 4S was only a moderate upgrade on the iPhone4, but it pushed Apple to their best quarter ever.

That's what I mean...it's getting to the point of peak.

I bought a 4S, so did many of my friends...and frankly, it wasn't worth it. So...there is a huge swath of people that will now need to see some major features in order to actually upgrade. The only reason I bought the 4S was because my wife's 3gs was on it's last leg, so I bought the 4s and gave her my old 4. While it pushed Apple to their best quarter ever, it also left a lot of people with a very, "meh" feeling from an expensive upgrade. Basically, they're going to have to show people something more if they want people to continue upgrading on a yearly cycle...

That yearly upgrade cycle Apple has benefited from these past few years is coming to an end because the technology has grown to the point of being a desktop computer -- you don't need to replace it every year anymore -- as the newer models aren't adding much of anything.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
My coworkers say no but I haven't tried it first hand.

I have, and you're co-workers are either repeating nonsense they've heard elsewhere, or they're lying. iWork works fine using Excel documents.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
It might...but I see Apple at a crossroads of sorts at this point...the yearly upgrade cycle is over now...people aren't so quick to trade up from older models anymore since it's to the point that their phones/tablets are like PC's now...newer models feature nothing more than minor spec bumps at this point...there isn't much more they can do with their screens/resolutions to make people say wow, I really need that.

Apple has grown to the point that keeping that growth at the same rate it's at is going to become next to impossible, and in order to truly justify the stock price, their PE ratio has to keep stride...and it won't be able too, eventually.

Very good points, but I still think there is a lot of expanding they can do with both the iPhones and the iPads...there are a lot of people that have been unable to purchase iPhones because their carrier did not have rights to it...with all the Sprint customers coming on board, as well as many Verizon users coming on board, my guess is there are still a lot of those appetites to satiate. New iPad sales have been strong, and I think they are still reaching a lot of customers for the first time that are satisfied as to its utility that will finally pull the trigger after sitting on the sideline during the release of the first two iPads. Then you'll start hitting people who bought the first iPad who choose to upgrade into the new iPad, etc... So in summation, I guess I am not sure it is quite over yet.

But you are certainly correct that they need to move into some new markets and go back make some major upgrades to some of their other product lines if they wish to keep all this momentum going.