Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
See, this is why I asked the question in the first place...because the only iPhone released in the fall was the 4s. The original, 3G, and 4 were all released in June.

That is true. But I have head people say that it makes sense to move the iPhone into the iPod dates because the iPod is becoming a decreasing business of theirs. Since the touch and the phone run the same OS, it makes sense to release a new OS along with new models at the same time.

Netflix will lose "Starz" tomorrow.

On Tuesday, Starz's contract with Netflix expires and its content will be pulled from the DVD lending and streaming site. According to Gizmodo, however, streaming will be available until February 29.

The move was announced in September, but the companies had to wait to implement the changes until Starz's contract expired on February 28. In a press release published in September, Starz explained the move to cut ties with Netflix as follows

Anyone using iCloud? I have some TV episodes on my iTunes that I want to put in an iCloud account so I can transfer them to my future iPad. Can't find an iCloud option on my iTunes window though.

Google reboots Android Market, launches Google Play

Google is rebuilding Android Market.

The Internet giant, looking to create a more comprehensive source for movies, apps, music, and e-books, is folding Google Music and Google eBookstore into one store, now renamed Google Play, according to Jamie Rosenberg, director of digital content for Google. The changes go into effect today.

Google Play marks a radical departure from Android Market, which has been a fixture of the company's mobile platform since the debut of Android more than three years ago. The move is a tacit admission that offering apps, games, and e-books--the main features of Android Market--isn't enough to remain competitive even as rival app stores spring up. Google Play is designed to break down the walls separating the company's disparate offerings, Rosenberg said.

"Google Play will become a single experience for users," Rosenberg said. "This creates a more powerful experience around Android and also increases opportunities for content partners" to interact with more of Google's offerings.

It's a shocking branding shift, considering the resources and energy spent into building the Android name, which will live on as the brand for Google's mobile operating system.

(more of the article at the link)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

The new iPAD looks awesome.

2048x1536 resolution, 264ppi, quad core graphics/processor and somehow they maintained the same battery life as the iPAD2.

For those who want mobile connectivity rather than just WiFi, it's also 4G LTE.

Same pricing as the iPAD2.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)

2048x1536 resolution, 264ppi, quad core graphics/processor and somehow they maintained the same battery life as the iPAD2.

Gettin' it for my b-day in May

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)

I'm going to take a look at it now, but I'm still not sure it really offers anything I need that my original iPad does not. When I am mobile, I don't ever really encounter much that I can't accomplish with my phone, and the rest of the time, I'll just use my desktop. I use my iPad mainly for dicking around on the couch instead of using a laptop, or while traveling. Can't imagine the resolution is such an important feature that it would be worth paying the $ for the few times I travel.

Before I get too far, however, I need to go check it out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
I'm going to take a look at it now, but I'm still not sure it really offers anything I need that my original iPad does not. When I am mobile, I don't ever really encounter much that I can't accomplish with my phone, and the rest of the time, I'll just use my desktop. I use my iPad mainly for dicking around on the couch instead of using a laptop, or while traveling. Can't imagine the resolution is such an important feature that it would be worth paying the $ for the few times I travel.

Before I get too far, however, I need to go check it out.

I know it's significantly more powerful but so far I've never looked down at my iPad 2 and thought "gee, I wish this thing was brighter, sharper, and clearer"

I mean it's what, a 7" screen? I barely even notice that kind of thing until the screen is at least about 20 inches

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
I know it's significantly more powerful but so far I've never looked down at my iPad 2 and thought "gee, I wish this thing was brighter, sharper, and clearer"

I mean it's what, a 7" screen? I barely even notice that kind of thing until the screen is at least about 20 inches

I felt the same until I got an iPhone4/4s. After that, that's the only thought I had when looking at my iPAD2 (wishing it was sharper/clearer). So much so that I rarely use it anymore because of how much more clear my iPhone4 is. My wife is the only person that really uses the iPAD2 now. I'm not saying it's bad...but I work on computers/technology for a living, so I like having super high resolutions, etc...

My desktop runs at 2560x1440, for example. I've long felt that the iPAD pixel density was too low.

So what is the future of the iPad? I mean, there's nothing about the new iPad that wasn't expected on the iPad 2, right? Without competition to push innovation I guess Apple can just do as they please.

So what is the future of the iPad? I mean, there's nothing about the new iPad that wasn't expected on the iPad 2, right? Without competition to push innovation I guess Apple can just do as they please.

The screen is what's new...it's higher resolution than bluray and 1080p tv...without a loss of battery power. There isn't much new you can do when it comes to modern tech tablets, or phones for that matter...at least not until some sort of transparent and flexible screen is invented. Otherwise it's baby steps at this point. The technology to make a huge leap is unknown at this time, as I see it the next step is transparent glass screens that are flexible...which don't exist yet. Otherwise it's spec bumps like speed or graphics, or perhaps a super advanced voice control, but even that's just evolution of current voice control...baby steps toward something like Star Trek voice control...

On a side note, I just sold my ipad2 for 450$...and bought an iPad 3! :D

Edited by Y2HH