Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
Well I broke down and got a Keurig, lets see how long this lasts.

I love mine! I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, so it was a giant pain to make a pot of coffee for one person. It's super quick and there are so many different versions out there, you're bound to find something you like.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
I bought the donut house coffee pack at Sams for ours. It's not great, but for .46 cents a cup it's delicious. I was drinking way too much dunkin' donuts and starbucks at 2-3 bucks a pop.

Thats what I'm thinking. Plus Costco's return policy is such that I can return it pretty much at any time if it breaks or if I hate it.

Couldn't find my phone and decided I might not have left it in my room as per usual. Pulled up Find My iPhone and saw that it was in a common space (I work as an area supervisor in a dormitory) and then I locked it as some kids were trying to post stuff from my facebook. Boom, cool stuff

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
We use it frequently enough that the water isn't in there for more than a couple of days at most. I think our Keurig only holds 4 cups or so.

I run it once empty before making tea or hot chocolate because the coffee builds up on the inside otherwise.

I feel like ours holds a half gallon of water. It's a large tank on the side.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
Well I broke down and got a Keurig, lets see how long this lasts.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
My brother has one, I also can't stand it. I think they make s*** tasting coffee.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
I live across the street from a starbucks and I am trying to get away from going there everyday. Made my first cup today, not bad so far. Definitely better than the single cup coffee maker I had before.

Rock, I'm confused, you got a Keurig but that's a single cup coffee maker?

I think I missed bmags - you don't like it? Just bad flavor or haven't ran across one you like yet? Could you put another "cup" in there?

Y2HH? Same thing?

Reason I bring this up is I am inheriting one of those in my office... I had one cup and it seems like it wasn't too bad. But then again the coffee from my old place was absolutely craptacular. It was like drinking water that was brewed through a s*** strainer or something, if that's what s*** tastes like.

Can I get other containers for that brewer somewhere (I haven't the googled yet).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Some cool incredibly thin touchscreen devices shown off by a Japanese company that could show where things will be going in the next year or two.

Ahhh, I can't think of the movie recently (maybe TV show) that showed in to the future people using ultra-thin smart phones that were just a plate of glass. Looked like this....

Glass%20Phone-1.jpg

Maybe that movie was on the right track, but sooner rather than later. Wish I could remember the movie.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 01:38 AM)
Can anyone tell me what a Keurig does that makes it so expensive? I've started to get into coffee a bit and live on my own so I'd only want to make a cup at a time but I can't figure out why these things are over 100 bucks.

Basically it's the Starbucks effect. It will give you a good quality cup of coffee without a second thought. It is standardized quality. It will not give you the best cup of coffee you ever had, you could outperform it quite readily if you pay some attention to the type of beans you purchase, supplier, how they're roasted, grind them freshly yourself, etc, just as you can outperform Starbucks on quality by finding a local coffee shop that knows what they're doing. If I'm living in an area, I will take the time to figure out where the good coffee place in walking distance of work is. If I'm walking through an airport, I know that I will get a decent enough cup of coffee under the Starbucks sign without having to figure out what other place to visit.

If you don't have the time or energy to put into learning how to produce that quality cup of coffee, a Keurig gets you "Close enough", and at a price level that is manageable for that type of people.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
Rock, I'm confused, you got a Keurig but that's a single cup coffee maker?

I think I missed bmags - you don't like it? Just bad flavor or haven't ran across one you like yet? Could you put another "cup" in there?

Y2HH? Same thing?

Reason I bring this up is I am inheriting one of those in my office... I had one cup and it seems like it wasn't too bad. But then again the coffee from my old place was absolutely craptacular. It was like drinking water that was brewed through a s*** strainer or something, if that's what s*** tastes like.

Can I get other containers for that brewer somewhere (I haven't the googled yet).

It's not the worst coffee I've ever had in my life, don't get me wrong. It's just not very good, either. It's average.

I'm a coffee drinker that prefers french press coffee (IMO, one of the only pure ways to make coffee left in a world of Keurig's and crappy auto drip makers). First, coffee has to be stored properly, as beans, and ground before you make it, or it dries out. If you've ever seen truly fresh coffee beans, they look greasy...grinding those up and french pressing them releases those oils...and it's amazing. Second, coffee has to be brewed at a temperature very few coffee makers even come close to reaching, which is around 200 degrees F. Most auto makers hit about 160.

So, when it comes to coffee makers, I'm not going to be happy with most of them. If I was basing this on the average coffee consumers tastes, however, I'm sure the Keurig and others are just fine.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 12:38 AM)
Can anyone tell me what a Keurig does that makes it so expensive? I've started to get into coffee a bit and live on my own so I'd only want to make a cup at a time but I can't figure out why these things are over 100 bucks.

Pretty much what others have touched on.

Time.

You are paying for time.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
It's not the worst coffee I've ever had in my life, don't get me wrong. It's just not very good, either. It's average.

I'm a coffee drinker that prefers french press coffee (IMO, one of the only pure ways to make coffee left in a world of Keurig's and crappy auto drip makers). First, coffee has to be stored properly, as beans, and ground before you make it, or it dries out. If you've ever seen truly fresh coffee beans, they look greasy...grinding those up and french pressing them releases those oils...and it's amazing. Second, coffee has to be brewed at a temperature very few coffee makers even come close to reaching, which is around 200 degrees F. Most auto makers hit about 160.

So, when it comes to coffee makers, I'm not going to be happy with most of them. If I was basing this on the average coffee consumers tastes, however, I'm sure the Keurig and others are just fine.

So far from my experience Keurig is the best single cup mass produced coffee maker out there. It brews at 193, makes a variety of flavors from pretty freshly ground or your own beans and does it very quickly. If grabbing a cup for yourself out the door or before work is your thing, I would recommend it.

Of course there are 5k serious coffee makers out there or you can really dedicate yourself to knowing the ins and outs and like Y2 said, enjoy a true experience of making coffee. But most of the time the Keurig will do what you want it to do.

Just make you sure you clean it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 12:18 AM)
Ahhh, I can't think of the movie recently (maybe TV show) that showed in to the future people using ultra-thin smart phones that were just a plate of glass. Looked like this....

Glass%20Phone-1.jpg

Maybe that movie was on the right track, but sooner rather than later. Wish I could remember the movie.

Minority report had alot of this type of s*** in it, but so did Quantum Leap.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)

Quantum Leap? Dude was always holding a little device that made blips and bloops made of f***ing legos!

QuantumLeap.jpg

Legos.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)

I seem to remember getting an email from my dad a year or so ago with all kinds of devices like this...I think it was made by Corning Glass or something...let me see if I can dig it up.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
I seem to remember getting an email from my dad a year or so ago with all kinds of devices like this...I think it was made by Corning Glass or something...let me see if I can dig it up.

Gorilla Glass/GG2, it's on every cell phone in existence. But it's just clear, super strength glass, it's not a screen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)

A Day Made of Glass

Speaking of which, it's a recent stock I've recommended (and invested in myself)...not because I "know" something, but because I believe the company is being overlooked and oversold. Corning's product (Gorilla Glass/Gorilla Glass 2) is in EVERY single cell phone/tablet device on the planet, and it seems nobody takes notice. They also have a lot of other products, to boot.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GLW

They're trading at 11$. They pay a 3.2% dividend, they are profitable, and trading at a P/E of just under 9. They're a buy.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
I've seen that. But I've seen videos like that for decades now. Remember the AT&T "You Will?" commercials in the 90's?

I was just pointing out to you what I was referring to. Not that it was some vision of soon-to-hit-the-shelves reality.