Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Figured I'd get this thread started since we're officially just one month away now.

Also, for reference, South Africa is 6 hours ahead of EST so it's 7 hours ahead of those of you in the CTZ.

US Team Preliminary 30 man roster

The roster will be trimmed to 23 before the tourney starts. Notable players left off are Charlie Davies (booo!), Frankie Hejduk and Jermaine Jones. Odd inclusions include Edson Buddle and Alejandro Bedoya.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wished Davies wouldve been invited just to see if he could be used as a sub in the final 20 minutes of a game if we're down a goal. I guess I'll just assume that he isnt as far along in his recovery as we hoped.

And this WC will so help me get through the sports summer to football.

My favorite team for my favorite sport, USA baby, let's go Yanks!!! I really wish Davies was back but if he's not Bradley better move Dempsey up to striker with Jozy. Allow Jose Torres to take Dempsey's spot and everything will work out great. But knowing Bradley, he'll allow Beasley to take that spot and I will be furious.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ May 11, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
My favorite team for my favorite sport, USA baby, let's go Yanks!!! I really wish Davies was back but if he's not Bradley better move Dempsey up to striker with Jozy. Allow Jose Torres to take Dempsey's spot and everything will work out great. But knowing Bradley, he'll allow Beasley to take that spot and I will be furious.

Beasley looked good recently. And remember, he started to lose form when Bradley started moving him to a back. If he is allowed to stay in the middle he is a much better player.

Benzema missing out the France 30 is a huge shock for mine, yes he didn't play much for Real Madrid in the 2nd half of the season, but he's still argubly one of the top 5 strikers in the world today.

I can't wait for Jonathan Spector to be shown up as the spud he is on the world stage also (and this is coming from a West Ham fan who's had to put up with his woeful performances at LB this season).

Apparently John Terry has broken his metatarsal in training with Chelsea just now and looks like he'll miss the World Cup.

If so, couldn't happen to a more deserving person after what's happened in his personal life.

Big break for the US also obviously.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
Benzema missing out the France 30 is a huge shock for mine, yes he didn't play much for Real Madrid in the 2nd half of the season, but he's still argubly one of the top 5 strikers in the world today.

I can't wait for Jonathan Spector to be shown up as the spud he is on the world stage also (and this is coming from a West Ham fan who's had to put up with his woeful performances at LB this season).

A lot of familiar names missed out on their national team cuts. Along with Benzema, Patrick Vieira was left home, Ronaldinho, Adriano and Alexandre Pato from Brazil, Del Piero/Totti/Toni from Italy, Hargreaves and Scholes (although I heard he declined) from England, Zanetti from Argentina, van Nistelrooy from Netherlands...

And is Spector even going to start? Obviously you have Bocanegra and Onyewu, but Cherondulo and Bornstein have a shot as well as Jay DeMerit after his performance at Confederations Cup

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 13, 2010 -> 02:55 AM)
A lot of familiar names missed out on their national team cuts. Along with Benzema, Patrick Vieira was left home, Ronaldinho, Adriano and Alexandre Pato from Brazil, Del Piero/Totti/Toni from Italy, Hargreaves and Scholes (although I heard he declined) from England, Zanetti from Argentina, van Nistelrooy from Netherlands...

And is Spector even going to start? Obviously you have Bocanegra and Onyewu, but Cherondulo and Bornstein have a shot as well as Jay DeMerit after his performance at Confederations Cup

Spector started at RB for the US in the Confederations Tournament when they made the final against Spain IIRC.

I'd assume he'll get first crack at that job again.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 13, 2010 -> 06:16 AM)
Terry is cleared of any injury and will play in South Africa. He'll get his eventually though.

Yeah I jumped the gun a bit then when I initially found out about it. Too bad really. :lol:

QUOTE (knightni @ May 12, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)

He's only 20.

I doubt he'll ever be a star but he still has time to develop and possibly become a regular contributor. It's good he's playing in a lower level now so he can actually develop instead of sitting on the bench of a larger club and barely play like he did with Benfica and Monaco.

I reckon if Adu ended up at a team like Barcelona, which is probably the best team in the world but actually develop their young players and play a real great passing style of game, Adu could be a star right now. He probably made the wrong move going to Benfica but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

He's still got a long time to make it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 13, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
He's only 20.

I doubt he'll ever be a star but he still has time to develop and possibly become a regular contributor. It's good he's playing in a lower level now so he can actually develop instead of sitting on the bench of a larger club and barely play like he did with Benfica and Monaco.

i seriously doubt he is 20

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
Ballack out of World Cup

Ankle injury in the FA Cup final. Sucks for Germany.

And ironically, it was on a tackle by Kevin Prince-Boateng, who will play for Ghana, who is in the same group as Germany in the tournament.

I hate to say it, but Serbia is catching some breaks in this group. Ballack out for Germany, both Essien and Agogo out for Ghana.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 17, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
I hate to say it, but Serbia is catching some breaks in this group. Ballack out for Germany, both Essien and Agogo out for Ghana.

Essien and John Mensah were included on Ghana's roster and last I've read both are tentatively expected to be ready.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 17, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Essien and John Mensah were included on Ghana's roster and last I've read both are tentatively expected to be ready.

Essien is still questionable. I know he's on the roster. Either way, I can't see him being 100% even if he plays.