Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

Leaving a temp position I was at for 11 months for a temp-to-hire position. The new one is a much better opportunity for my career and significantly better pay, but still amazing how attached you can get to people you work with 40-50 hours a week.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We seem to have a few lawyers on here so I was just wondering what the hold up might be on this job I'm getting whenever the lawsuit is over.

http://www.bestchicagocondos.com/blog/trouble-in-river-city/

That explains what the lawsuit is over.

Right now they have 2 different security companies there, one for the commercial side (that was there before the suit) and one for the residential side.

I worked for the residential side for 5 months and all the guys on the commercial side liked me enough to tell me once the suits over I can work for them.

Back in October everyone thought the suit was gonna been done and over with in 2 weeks soooooo I quit the residential side and took a little vacation and expected to come back to work in 2 weeks...welll the suit is still going on and I'm still waiting.

I'm sure money is the issue as 15 mill is A LOT of money but what else might be holding it up, how long can a case like this go on? It's been going on for over a year now, it has to come to an end soon right?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
We seem to have a few lawyers on here so I was just wondering what the hold up might be on this job I'm getting whenever the lawsuit is over.

http://www.bestchicagocondos.com/blog/trouble-in-river-city/

That explains what the lawsuit is over.

Right now they have 2 different security companies there, one for the commercial side (that was there before the suit) and one for the residential side.

I worked for the residential side for 5 months and all the guys on the commercial side liked me enough to tell me once the suits over I can work for them.

Back in October everyone thought the suit was gonna been done and over with in 2 weeks soooooo I quit the residential side and took a little vacation and expected to come back to work in 2 weeks...welll the suit is still going on and I'm still waiting.

I'm sure money is the issue as 15 mill is A LOT of money but what else might be holding it up, how long can a case like this go on? It's been going on for over a year now, it has to come to an end soon right?

Heres the case:

https://w3.courtlink.lexisnexis.com/cookcou...ABB0L0AACIJF0LD

The good news is that it is in front of Judge Pierce and he keeps litigation on a tight leash.

The bad news is that this is an 11 case, and a brand new complaint was just filed on May 14, 2012, with Motions to Dismiss filed on May 30, 2012.

What does that mean?

It means that discovery hasnt even started, if there is no settlement, this case could take another 3 years potentially who knows.

The guy Nicholas Gouletas has settled 2 other cases I found, so potentially this one could settle too. But right now they are still in the pleading stage, the Defendants havent even answered yet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
If it is relevant to what you are applying for, sure.

I think you read through his question a bit too fast :lolhitting

I'm not too familiar with journalism/sports media resumes, but I would assume putting "Freelance" under work experience in a similar manner to a company you may have worked for would be suitable, and then you can still add dates, bulletpoints describing what you did, etc.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
I think you read through his question a bit too fast :lolhitting

I'm not too familiar with journalism/sports media resumes, but I would assume putting "Freelance" under work experience in a similar manner to a company you may have worked for would be suitable, and then you can still add dates, bulletpoints describing what you did, etc.

lol. I missed the how and read it "should I..." need more sleep. :bang

When you are sending a resume make sure it looks good on the paper. By that I mean formatting etc.

I just went through a stack of resumes, and to be honest I barely even read what was in them, I just was looking for what year were they graduating. Some of them looked terrible though, and if I was being more discerning it would have cost them an opportunity.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
When you are sending a resume make sure it looks good on the paper. By that I mean formatting etc.

I just went through a stack of resumes, and to be honest I barely even read what was in them, I just was looking for what year were they graduating. Some of them looked terrible though, and if I was being more discerning it would have cost them an opportunity.

I agree here. I haven't had occasion to do a lot of hiring, but the number of people who either have bad formatting or put experience that is so totally irrelevant to the project that it is off-putting is amazing. I had someone (who I eventually hired) for a legal research project put life guarding down as experience. Since they were all students, I figured I'd let it slide.

Meanwhile, I had a phone interview today at a place I thought would be perfect for me. During the interview it became clear that the listed responsibilities I was most excited about aren't really the primary responsibilities...and might not be part of the job at all. I was interested in compliance and policy work, but it turned out to be representation, and case load supervision.

So the next time I get concerned about over selling my experience on my resume, I am going to remember that they probably have over sold the job responsibilities.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
I agree here. I haven't had occasion to do a lot of hiring, but the number of people who either have bad formatting or put experience that is so totally irrelevant to the project that it is off-putting is amazing. I had someone (who I eventually hired) for a legal research project put life guarding down as experience. Since they were all students, I figured I'd let it slide.

Meanwhile, I had a phone interview today at a place I thought would be perfect for me. During the interview it became clear that the listed responsibilities I was most excited about aren't really the primary responsibilities...and might not be part of the job at all. I was interested in compliance and policy work, but it turned out to be representation, and case load supervision.

So the next time I get concerned about over selling my experience on my resume, I am going to remember that they probably have over sold the job responsibilities.

If you are open to it, take a look at FERC compliance work or compliance work as it related to the energy markets and the commodities markets...field is expanding very rapidly right now.

Would you happen to have IT experience, if so, PM me. I'm not 100% on job openings at the moment for our compliance people, but it's an area that's expanding at my company.

What kind law do you practice G&T?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
What kind law do you practice G&T?

Health law. But I have an LLM in Government Administration and Regulation. I want to eventually be in house at a hospital or health department. Representing people is a necessary evil right now.

My search for a job continues as some recent developments at work have forced me to ramp up my job hunt.

In the last week, one junior developer quit, the social media analyst was cut from five working days to two and the graphic designer (whose wife is having a kid any day now) was laid off. The payroll is one month behind and there are clearly money issues. Plus, I was asked to write content on a weekend and they are not paying me. So I panicked on Friday and started making calls to people I knew and applying like crazy. I'd love to get a new job and get out of there before they ask me to do so much more without paying me OR they go under and can't pay me the near $1,000 they owe me from the payroll that is one month behind.

Maybe so, but apparently they are expecting funding soon...or they are lying about that major announcement at the anniversary party. I got paid for the work on the weekend after all, but I'm not a fan of work on the weekend.

Even if they do get funding I am still wanting a better job with a salary so I can live on my own.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Oh dooooo tell!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
What field is the recruiter in?

It is from a company recruiting for our parent company's 49% parent company.

The field is securities compliance.