Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 07:17 AM)
Got a call for a phone interview while on vacation last week. To prepare for the interview, I always go on to the company website to review info about the company and to review my application. Among other things, I noticed that this application asked for a salary range.

30 minutes into the interview, the interviewer is clearly very interested in me and quotes me the salary range for the position. The top of her range is a full 20% less than the bottom of my range. I asked her if she happened to read the part of my application where I provided my salary range. She said yes, but she was hoping that I was "flexible". I asked her if she'd ever encountered a candidate that was "flexible" by as much as 20%. She said she wasn't sure.

Very frustrating.

That is pure negligence. You don't mess around with that.

My firm is in need of a law clerk and being the least senior attorney, I got stuck with basically doing all the work to find someone. After posting the job and getting some resumes, holy crap do I see the other side of the coin with hiring. I have these cover letters that are full page, singe spaced and not a lick of substance. It reads EXACTLY like my cover letter back in the day when I was looking for a job. What a pointless exercise.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
My firm is in need of a law clerk and being the least senior attorney, I got stuck with basically doing all the work to find someone. After posting the job and getting some resumes, holy crap do I see the other side of the coin with hiring. I have these cover letters that are full page, singe spaced and not a lick of substance. It reads EXACTLY like my cover letter back in the day when I was looking for a job. What a pointless exercise.

Its the worst. Ive hired 5, and there is no way of really determining who is going to be good or bad. Ive even done the interviews etc.

Bleh, terrible. My new one is the worst lol.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
They called today and said I'd be scheduled once they figured proper scheduling for next week.

I'm in hell right now, and all I can do is vent on Soxtalk.

I received this call on Friday to schedule the next interview with a VP as well as the person I'd be working for whom I've already interviewed with for Tuesday (today) at 3pm. Down, let's do this. Time to go take a job. I get a call 20 minutes later saying 3pm doesn't work, can I do 3:30pm? Ok, fine by me.

I get a call an hour later saying that Tuesday no longer works, because the people interviewing me got called into a big meeting and I should hear something "no earlier than Tuesday morning" (ie this morning).

"No earlier than Tuesday morning" sure is open-ended. Also, Tuesday morning has passed.

What the hell do I take from all of this? Someone talk me down from the ledge.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)

I received this call on Friday to schedule the next interview with a VP as well as the person I'd be working for whom I've already interviewed with for Tuesday (today) at 3pm. Down, let's do this. Time to go take a job. I get a call 20 minutes later saying 3pm doesn't work, can I do 3:30pm? Ok, fine by me.

I get a call an hour later saying that Tuesday no longer works, because the people interviewing me got called into a big meeting and I should hear something "no earlier than Tuesday morning" (ie this morning).

"No earlier than Tuesday morning" sure is open-ended. Also, Tuesday morning has passed.

Who has been your contact person there? Is it one of these guy's admins or a recruiter directly?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Two different recruiters working simultaneously to f*** with my head.

I'd give it a day or two, and then I'd call or email them...did they provide you with their cards or contact info at any point, or do you just have their number because they called you earlier?

I'd just say hello and that you were wondering if they had any updates on when your next interview may be scheduled, because there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion on Friday and you are trying to plan out the next week or so on your work calendar.

Recruiters usually just find the candidates and arrange for them to meet the folks that will eventually make the hiring decisions, so I have never worried about bugging those people a bit when the process is a bit unorganized.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
I'd give it a day or two, and then I'd call or email them...did they provide you with their cards or contact info at any point, or do you just have their number because they called you earlier?

I'd just say hello and that you were wondering if they had any updates on when your next interview may be scheduled, because there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion on Friday and you are trying to plan out the next week or so on your work calendar.

Recruiters usually just find the candidates and arrange for them to meet the folks that will eventually make the hiring decisions, so I have never worried about bugging those people a bit when the process is a bit unorganized.

I have direct emails and contact numbers for both recruiters - and of course everyone I've interviewed with so far.

I'm getting to the point where I'm sick of the process. The whole thing started with a phone interview well over a month ago. But dammit, the job is that good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
I have direct emails and contact numbers for both recruiters - and of course everyone I've interviewed with so far.

I'm getting to the point where I'm sick of the process. The whole thing started with a phone interview well over a month ago. But dammit, the job is that good.

Yeah, unfortunately sometimes you are just at their mercy a bit, and it sucks. I've waited months to hear back, and I've heard back the next day before...sometimes people are just not good at managing the process and you have to deal with it.

But I wouldn't hesitate to give the recruiter a call; it shows you have some initiative.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)

is it a volatile work environment? It could just be as simple as something big going on at the workplace. In my line of work, that isn't unusual.

The opposite side is that they could be stalling you to try to negotiate with someone else. It is hard to say what to make of that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

No doubt about that. The process of finding a job anymore just sucks. Thankfully I just finished up with that crap for a while.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
Yeah, unfortunately sometimes you are just at their mercy a bit, and it sucks. I've waited months to hear back, and I've heard back the next day before...sometimes people are just not good at managing the process and you have to deal with it.

But I wouldn't hesitate to give the recruiter a call; it shows you have some initiative.

This is true too. Don't be afraid to bug the recruiter. This is what they get paid for.

Id say/send something that in a roundabout way gets your answer:

"Hey I know they were going to call this morning, I have to step out for lunch should I wait or do you think they want to call this afternoon"

That way you try and pry information without seeming like your desperate for a call back.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)

"Hey I know they were going to call this morning, I have to step out for lunch should I wait or do you think they want to call this afternoon"

That way you try and pry information without seeming like your desperate for a call back.

One of the recruiters was supposed to call to schedule the next, final interview.

Who knows. I'll call her in a bit I guess. I'm sure I'll get voicemail!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)

I read that as they were NOT going to call earlier than this morning (which is somewhat odd, btw), and so that could mean basically any time now that Tuesday morning is over.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
I read that as they were NOT going to call earlier than this morning (which is somewhat odd, btw), and so that could mean basically any time now that Tuesday morning is over.

You read it correctly. However, old Stevo's tired of waiting.

I was out golfing with the father-in-law Friday morning, expecting that phone call. To go from "we want to interview you, how does x work?" to "we need to push it back a bit" to "we'll call you at some point after Tuesday morning, this does not mean you are out of the running" was quite the up/down/kickinnuts 2 hour period.

I just don't see why it always has to be such a cloak and dagger keep you in the dark process.

I did play the best hole of golf in my life during those 18, so at least I that happened.

I called and spoke to the recruiter. She said that both the hiring manager and manager of the department "loved my energy" and think I'm the perfect candidate. Some things have changed with requirements (wtf) and they are meeting to see if I'm qualified, and now I'll hear by Thursday or Friday.

So yeah, it sounds like stalling bs to me.

I called and spoke to the recruiter. She said that both the hiring manager and manager of the department "loved my energy" and think I'm the perfect candidate. Some things have changed with requirements (wtf) and they are meeting to see if I'm qualified, and now I'll hear by Thursday or Friday.

So yeah, it sounds like stalling bs to me.

This means that they want to see if they can get somebody who is slightly less qualified than you but will take a much lower salary.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
This means that they want to see if they can get somebody who is slightly less qualified than you but will take a much lower salary.

I feel like it's going one of two ways.

1) waiting for person B to get back to them on an offer and stalling (not likely, bc why would the interview be scheduled briefly)

2) interview scheduled, VP notified, VP had no idea they were this far in process and needs a ton of information and to micromanage the bejesus out of the situation

Personally, I think they are in the process of weeding out dinner reservations while also getting the new workplace set up for a s***show of a celebration. Also, they are waiting to hear back from the strippers with whom you will be celebrating the new job.

Also, they are probably sizing up your throne too.