Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
How the f*** do I find interns.

I've done builtinchicago, I've done internmatch, I've contacted colleges around here. The f***'s the deal, lazy kids. These are cool internships. They are paid. They offer credit.

Social Media Marketing Intern

Online Marketing Intern

Graphic Design Intern

Career fairs?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
Also, Lombard probably isn't a hotspot for young marketing professionals, that may steer people away.

Eh, the Chicago suburbs have plenty of turds who fashion themselves marketing professionals. Some of us even stick. :P

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
Steve,

The way I have found law clerks is to contact law schools that are near by and get in touch with their career services or whatever. They then generally list the posting and then the resumes come in.

Yeah, I listed on COD, NIU, and Elmhurst College today. More planned tomorrow.

The company I'm interviewing with is not RV-related. I'm not sure I'd make the move for an industry that recession-prone.

I grew up only 25 miles from Elkhart so I'm pretty familiar with the area. Not sure exactly where we'd live if I do get the job.

Well, f***! Didn't get the job. Didn't even move on to the second interview phase. Man, HR people are getting really good at pretending to be interested in people when they aren't.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
Well, f***! Didn't get the job. Didn't even move on to the second interview phase. Man, HR people are getting really good at pretending to be interested in people when they aren't.

Their job is to string everyone along and keep them on the hook.

Just venting a bit...I absolutely hate that outsourcing is thing. I always hear politicians talking about how they're going to create more jobs, well here's a thought...ELIMINATE outsourcing! My moms been with the same company for 18 years, 2 years away from retirement and collecting social security but now her job is being outsourced to India.

I now have to put my big boy pants on and help out the family...There goes trying to move out...ugh whatever.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
Just venting a bit...I absolutely hate that outsourcing is thing. I always hear politicians talking about how they're going to create more jobs, well here's a thought...ELIMINATE outsourcing! My moms been with the same company for 18 years, 2 years away from retirement and collecting social security but now her job is being outsourced to India.

I now have to put my big boy pants on and help out the family...There goes trying to move out...ugh whatever.

My department is currently going through the same thing, fortunately I'm not affected (yet anyways, new leadership just came in and put a hiring freeze on us so who knows what will happen).

Lesson learned: be adaptable, always be learning more, never rely on your job being there forever. We had an opening (before the hiring freeze) and we interviewed a lot of candidates that were losing their jobs. It was clear within 5 minutes who had progressed in their last jobs and who just sat around collecting the profit sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got an interview request for less than 20 hours from now? Uh, is that normal? I'm not the least bit prepared and haven't had an interview in a long time. I think I'll just turn it down. Seems kind of ridiculous.

I've gotten a couple of those, and I lived 200 miles away from the interview site.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
I just got an interview request for less than 20 hours from now? Uh, is that normal? I'm not the least bit prepared and haven't had an interview in a long time. I think I'll just turn it down. Seems kind of ridiculous.

If it's a good job just go for it. If you bomb the interview oh well, better than not taking the shot.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
If it's a good job just go for it. If you bomb the interview oh well, better than not taking the shot.

Or if it's a good job, simply say the time doesn't work with your schedule on such short notice and request a new day/time. Remember, recruiters just want to get as many candidates in when convenient for them. When I was interviewing these interns (holy s***, best idea ever) I'd routinely ask if they could come in next day.

You're allowed to ask them to pick a new time. Just give them a few days/times or a window that works.

So two new management positions were posted in our trading group today.

One is right up my alley. Going to apply.

Surprisingly, the other is the OPs and Trading Manager position. Apparently our current manager is being re-assigned (demoted).

• 2 weeks later...