Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
I have an intern working for me that bathes in cologne every morning. I need to tell this kid to lighten up on it a bit.

We have a PhD here that is of some form of Asian descent (I am not sure which). She wears all kinds of crazy stuff, including fishnet stockings and the like...no one says anything to her about her attire because they are just afraid of getting called insensitive to her culture (my guess, anyway).

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
We have a PhD here that is of some form of Asian descent (I am not sure which). She wears all kinds of crazy stuff, including fishnet stockings and the like...no one says anything to her about her attire because they are just afraid of getting called insensitive to her culture (my guess, anyway).

If she's hot, fishnet works.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
My firm is in need of a law clerk and being the least senior attorney, I got stuck with basically doing all the work to find someone. After posting the job and getting some resumes, holy crap do I see the other side of the coin with hiring. I have these cover letters that are full page, singe spaced and not a lick of substance. It reads EXACTLY like my cover letter back in the day when I was looking for a job. What a pointless exercise.

If your firm suddenly decides to expand to Minneapolis, I'm available. ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)

What do you do and where do you work?

Sounds Korean to me maybe Chinese. In no way is she Japanese.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 07:02 AM)
What do you do and where do you work?

Sounds Korean to me maybe Chinese. In no way is she Japanese.

I think she is Chinese. She does work on all kinds of crazy algorithms and what not for our load (electricity) forecasting models and our weather forecasting models.

She's really thin and quite possibly anorexic...I swear she walks up and down the stairs and around the building like a hundred times a day for exercise. She wears all this crazy s*** but no one says anything to her :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
I think she is Chinese. She does work on all kinds of crazy algorithms and what not for our load (electricity) forecasting models and our weather forecasting models.

She's really thin and quite possibly anorexic...I swear she walks up and down the stairs and around the building like a hundred times a day for exercise. She wears all this crazy s*** but no one says anything to her :)

Well saying she's thin and anorexic to describe an Asian woman is like saying honey is sweet. =)

I worked for a Japanese company before. They are so strict with dress codes that I could never see a serious Japanese worker wearing them. Now I work with a couple of Chinese women, (one younger; one older). The younger one wears all sorts of attire (short shorts, daisy dukes, etc...). The funny thing is we work in a lab... so while she's off trying to be beautiful, she'll spill some chemicals on her bare body.

SMH

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
Well saying she's thin and anorexic to describe an Asian woman is like saying honey is sweet. =)

I worked for a Japanese company before. They are so strict with dress codes that I could never see a serious Japanese worker wearing them. Now I work with a couple of Chinese women, (one younger; one older). The younger one wears all sorts of attire (short shorts, daisy dukes, etc...). The funny thing is we work in a lab... so while she's off trying to be beautiful, she'll spill some chemicals on her bare body.

SMH

Maybe she's into that

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call last week to set up a phone interview for this week. Since I work until 5, I asked if there was any day I could do the interview after 5. I got told, "No, that isn't possible, I can't stay later than 5."

Since this seemed like a pretty promising lead, I took 1/2 vacation day this morning to do the interview, and one of the first questions I'm asked is, "I just want to be up front in telling you that this is not a 9-5, 40 hour/week kind of place. We all go the extra mile here to get things done. Do you have a problem with weeks that are regularly 45-50 hours and sometimes 60?"

I actually hung up on him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
Got a call last week to set up a phone interview for this week. Since I work until 5, I asked if there was any day I could do the interview after 5. I got told, "No, that isn't possible, I can't stay later than 5."

Since this seemed like a pretty promising lead, I took 1/2 vacation day this morning to do the interview, and one of the first questions I'm asked is, "I just want to be up front in telling you that this is not a 9-5, 40 hour/week kind of place. We all go the extra mile here to get things done. Do you have a problem with weeks that are regularly 45-50 hours and sometimes 60?"

I actually hung up on him.

Same guy? Either way, that is pretty gutsy.

So I posted awhile ago how my boss completely lowballed me, pretty much getting paid 15k less than the guy before me after he was fired and only there for 3 months. I was initially going to tough it out a little longer get half a year or so under my belt with the improved job title but now they are cutting costs and going to be short a person come busy season. This is while the company has been growing over double the size it was when I started as the low man on the totem pole last November.

Finally decided to say f*** it and get the hell out but how does one even go about job searching besides using Monster/Careerbuilder/etc. I feel like on Monster everything I apply for seems to be ignored or through a 3rd party hiring company that always offering me worse jobs than I currently have and with Careerbuilder I seemingly get a ton of emails/calls about Insurance sales jobs which is not something I'm willing to get into. Also from people who are in the know, if I can afford it would it be a better idea to quit my job now and search fulltime or keep my current job because having a current job seemingly just looks a lot better.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
So I posted awhile ago how my boss completely lowballed me, pretty much getting paid 15k less than the guy before me after he was fired and only there for 3 months. I was initially going to tough it out a little longer get half a year or so under my belt with the improved job title but now they are cutting costs and going to be short a person come busy season. This is while the company has been growing over double the size it was when I started as the low man on the totem pole last November.

Finally decided to say f*** it and get the hell out but how does one even go about job searching besides using Monster/Careerbuilder/etc. I feel like on Monster everything I apply for seems to be ignored or through a 3rd party hiring company that always offering me worse jobs than I currently have and with Careerbuilder I seemingly get a ton of emails/calls about Insurance sales jobs which is not something I'm willing to get into. Also from people who are in the know, if I can afford it would it be a better idea to quit my job now and search fulltime or keep my current job because having a current job seemingly just looks a lot better.

The worst thing you can do is be unemployed while looking for work. The best thing you can do looking for work is to know people. Other than that you can go straight to specific company webpages or linked in pages to try to find stuff. Other than that, it really takes tons of applications for each bite at an interview when you are blindly applying. The process just sucks.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
if I can afford it would it be a better idea to quit my job now and search fulltime or keep my current job because having a current job seemingly just looks a lot better.

definitely keep your current job while you look for a new one.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:27 PM)
definitely keep your current job while you look for a new one.

This can't be stated enough, as stupid as it may seem, companies feel that just because you're currently working makes them feel more comfortable in hiring you.

Are you on LinkedIn? That's a pretty good way to network professionally. Some job postings on there, too, but not a ton.

Also, Indeed.com is a good site for job searches.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
I feel like it's going one of two ways.

1) waiting for person B to get back to them on an offer and stalling (not likely, bc why would the interview be scheduled briefly)

2) interview scheduled, VP notified, VP had no idea they were this far in process and needs a ton of information and to micromanage the bejesus out of the situation

Got a call on Friday saying I should hear this week. I've given up. It sounds like they didn't have their ducks in a row and are now interviewing lower-level candidates. Thanks for wasting my time, company!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 06:10 AM)
Got a call on Friday saying I should hear this week. I've given up. It sounds like they didn't have their ducks in a row and are now interviewing lower-level candidates. Thanks for wasting my time, company!

Any news yet, Stevo?