*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
I'm interested in some other circuits to possibly run. I've had such a ridiculous work out for the last 4 or so months and I'm just getting tired of it. I'm ready to try something new as I continue to get in better shape performance wise but I can't seem to lose the last bit of fat around the stomach that is keeping the abs more hidden than I want.

What are you doing now? Do you workout at the gym? What kind of core work do you do?

If someone uses a gym where they have kettle bells, i could really help you blast some of the core muscles you probably aren't working focusing on abs.

I'll try to draw yo a diverse 45 min circuit that some folks could use/modify for a cardio/shredding workout.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
I certainly don't want to burn muscle. I basically have a decent build under the 12 pack I developed. I just want to lose the gut. When I'm in that

"fat burn" mode, it's like I'm not even working hard...hardly even sweat. It's almost like trying to walk super slow....it's awkward.

Rock I could use some new exercises. I like the elliptical because it uses both my arms and legs. I can see burned calories and it's way more than I got on the treadmill. Also, it is a nice fit time wise. The weight loss program on there is like 35 minutes which is just about the time I have for it on my lunch break. I can do some different stuff at home, like crunches or what not.

Do you want to do some 30 min cardio-type exercises at home? You could probably get a very good strength/conditioning workout at home in 30 min with about 6-7 moves if you really dedicate yourself to timing your workout, and giving it full effort. If you have additional materials like some free weights, or stability ball, that would help as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
Do you want to do some 30 min cardio-type exercises at home? You could probably get a very good strength/conditioning workout at home in 30 min with about 6-7 moves if you really dedicate yourself to timing your workout, and giving it full effort. If you have additional materials like some free weights, or stability ball, that would help as well.

Yeah. The only reason I started going to the gym is my company is paying for a corporate membership to the one that just opened up in my building. It was a one time $10 charge for me and that's it....kinda too good to pass up. Plus it forces me to take an hour lunch, which I never used to do. I would just sit at my desk through lunch and still take support calls and the like. So anyway, I always used to work out at home. I have free weights and a stability ball. I ditched my bench when I moved though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
What are you doing now? Do you workout at the gym? What kind of core work do you do?

If someone uses a gym where they have kettle bells, i could really help you blast some of the core muscles you probably aren't working focusing on abs.

I'll try to draw yo a diverse 45 min circuit that some folks could use/modify for a cardio/shredding workout.

I work out at the gym and at home. I have been basically doing 3 day cycles between arms/legs/core with a 4 mile run everyday. Do that 6 days a week. It's worked great to lose a ton of weight and get me in good shape but this last bit of a belly fat is just f***in annoying.

The Spartacus workout looks interesting. I might try that out soon.

I've been working out for several months doing the same stuff - some cardio and some weights. I use a lot of the machines at my gym, and a few free weights. I never really worked out in my life up until this point, so without any real training, I've kind of made up my own workout and adjusted it or mixed it up as I see fit as I go on.

Is using a lot of machines bad? Should I be doing more or only free weights?

Do you guys do cardio and weights in the same day every time, or do one or the other certain days? I usually do both.

Do you do cardio before weights, vice versa, or mix it up?

I am not looking to bulk up a ton - just stay in shape, add some muscle, stay healthy - I don't need to focus on losing any weight at all. Rock/others I'm interested in some of the stuff you might present here.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
I work out at the gym and at home. I have been basically doing 3 day cycles between arms/legs/core with a 4 mile run everyday. Do that 6 days a week. It's worked great to lose a ton of weight and get me in good shape but this last bit of a belly fat is just f***in annoying.

That was all about diet for me. Lose the alcohol as well.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
And pop. It's amazing how many calories you save not drinking pop and alcohol.

Yeah, I gave up soda and fruit juices/AZ ice teas for the most part. I mostly just drink a few cups of coffee if I am working, and water. I might drink beer 2-3 times a month, otherwise, I lay off that too.

As for cardio/resistance training, I try to do them on different days. Your muscles need to time repair and grow, so I try to use a few days a week for cardio and one for yoga. Then resistance training the other 3 days. I find it works well for me, but I also admit I have not really tried it any other way, either.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
The Spartacus workout looks interesting. I might try that out soon.

I've been working out for several months doing the same stuff - some cardio and some weights. I use a lot of the machines at my gym, and a few free weights. I never really worked out in my life up until this point, so without any real training, I've kind of made up my own workout and adjusted it or mixed it up as I see fit as I go on.

Is using a lot of machines bad? Should I be doing more or only free weights?

Do you guys do cardio and weights in the same day every time, or do one or the other certain days? I usually do both.

Do you do cardio before weights, vice versa, or mix it up?

I am not looking to bulk up a ton - just stay in shape, add some muscle, stay healthy - I don't need to focus on losing any weight at all. Rock/others I'm interested in some of the stuff you might present here.

Machines definitely aren't bad they're just different. They help you a little bit more with your lifting so you're not exactly lifting as much weight as you would with free weights that are listed with the same poundage.

I've been doing cardio and weight training the same day for a while now, I'm sure you'll find a variety of opinions on whether that's a good thing to do or not.

Weights before cardio

And for you the main thing is going to be to eat and eat a lot.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
That was all about diet for me. Lose the alcohol as well.

My diet for the most part is pretty fantastic minus one or two cheat meals a week. And I'm sure this will get some laughs from a few of you guys but I really only drink one night a week now so ya I know if I'd completely give up alcohol it'd help but I like my social life too much to entirely rid myself of it.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
And pop. It's amazing how many calories you save not drinking pop and alcohol.

Cut pop out a long time ago. All I really drink is water and skim milk.

I don't go to the gym ...but Chase often complains about guys who go in and stand in front of the mirror curling little weights every single day and that's ALL they do!! LOL ..He also hates the women that hit the treadmill for 10 then take a smoke break! ...Or when someone tries talking to him while he's working out ..he recently invested in a new ipod! haha

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
Yeah. The only reason I started going to the gym is my company is paying for a corporate membership to the one that just opened up in my building. It was a one time $10 charge for me and that's it....kinda too good to pass up. Plus it forces me to take an hour lunch, which I never used to do. I would just sit at my desk through lunch and still take support calls and the like. So anyway, I always used to work out at home. I have free weights and a stability ball. I ditched my bench when I moved though.

Free weights and a stability ball will be plenty for an at home workout. I'll try to put a few together from my gym and my trainer that you can do in 30-45 min that will really get you going.

And Ill add this just for general: Alot of people have those stability balls and I see them just doing that same crunch exercise over and over again, there are so many other exercises on that thing that are excellent for more than your core.

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)
I wish I could upload the White Sox conditioning video ...it's mostly about core and what not ...Stuff I would never attempt. You guys can do all that crap while I enjoy my cinnamon raisin bagels and cream cheese! :D

A raisin bagel? I just threw up in my mouth. Please tell me that's not your comfort food?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Google "Spartacus Workout PDF"

That looks awesome.

Another pet peeve of mine is that we don't have the workout forum anymore. It's like, just when I start working out, it shuts down (and yes, I realize it's been shutdown for a while now).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
That looks awesome.

Another pet peeve of mine is that we don't have the workout forum anymore. It's like, just when I start working out, it shuts down (and yes, I realize it's been shutdown for a while now).

Yeah, that was one of the subforums that I feel legitimately should exist. I miss it too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)

I spent like 5 minutes looking for it earlier. Didn't realize it went away. Now the pet peeve thread is the workout forum.